Author Topic: 4.5 e-mail problem  (Read 35910 times)

Tipton

Re:4.5 e-mail problem
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 06:26:52 PM »
Could you please find the file avast4.ini in the folder
"E:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\Avast4.ini"  and post here the lines from the section [MailScanner]

It could be something like:

[MailScanner]
DefaultPopServer=
DefaultSmtpServer=
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=0
AutoSetProtection=0

I don't even have the above info in that file!

Tipton

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2004, 06:29:32 PM »

Tipton

Don't worry, that's not an error. Just default values.

Tipton

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2004, 06:36:06 PM »

Tipton

Don't worry, that's not an error. Just default values.

Here is the only thing listed in that file for e-mail.

EmailChestFile_To=virus@asw.cz
ProblemEmail=support@avast.com
MaximumSendSize=1024
SMTPServer=
SMTPFrom=
SMTPPort=25
SMTPUserName=
SMTPUserPassword=

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 06:39:50 PM »
Tipton, are you sure you're looking into the [MailScanner] section of the ini file? It starts with the line

[MailScanner]

Settings you've just mentioned are from [Communication] section.

Panzer

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2004, 06:50:10 PM »
Please read what I, Igor and Vlk posted in THIS THREAD.

Does that solve the problem?

That fixed mine.  ;D I use Pegasus Mail BTW. Bigger issue is there was no warning that this was the case.  When I first turned on my machine, Avast did notify me that an upgrade of the program had taken place. When I checked my email and it gave me a connection refused message  ??? I remembered the upgrade and came here to see if othere were in the same boat. They were !!! ::) It would have made sense to push a message to make the required changes, and save me and thers the trouble of chasing the solution down. There will, I suspect be a LOT of folks that won't do this and end up just removing your excellent product instead  :'(

Panzer

Tipton

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2004, 06:53:42 PM »
Tipton, are you sure you're looking into the [MailScanner] section of the ini file? It starts with the line

[MailScanner]

Settings you've just mentioned are from [Communication] section.

I am looking in the file that I point to in my screenshot!  There is nothing in there about an e-mail scanner.

Tipton

Tipton

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2004, 06:54:57 PM »
Please read what I, Igor and Vlk posted in THIS THREAD.

Does that solve the problem?

That fixed mine.  ;D I use Pegasus Mail BTW. Bigger issue is there was no warning that this was the case.  When I first turned on my machine, Avast did notify me that an upgrade of the program had taken place. When I checked my email and it gave me a connection refused message  ??? I remembered the upgrade and came here to see if othere were in the same boat. They were !!! ::) It would have made sense to push a message to make the required changes, and save me and thers the trouble of chasing the solution down. There will, I suspect be a LOT of folks that won't do this and end up just removing your excellent product instead  :'(

Panzer

The problem is, the solution that fixed your mail, is not fixing other peoples! By the way, if you guys want to use me as a guinia pig to test some things related to this issue, I am willing. I made an image right before the upgrade, so I can totally trash my OS partition, if need be!

Tipton :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 06:57:04 PM by Tipton »

jbmcmillan

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 07:30:21 PM »
I use ZA Free for a firewall and don't know of any tool from my isp as this worked just fine before todays update.My account settings have always been "incoming server=shawmail,Outgoing server=shawmail"I have just done as you suggested and it now does not give me the error message and checks e-mail just fine but is it still scanning it?

peterfu

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 07:34:12 PM »
..... but is it still scanning it?
Try sending Yourself a mail and check the headers for:
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0446-2, 11.11.2004), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0446-2, 11.11.2004), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
br
Peter

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2004, 07:46:12 PM »
Tipton, are you also using ZA?

Folks, tt would be quite interesting to find out whether the problem has anything to do with interaction between avast and ZA. I have the suspicion that it does.

Could you please try to confirm or deny this hypothesis? E.g. try disabling ZA temporarily and see if it helps.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

conazus

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2004, 07:48:29 PM »
Vlk...  I have 2 systems here.   Both are running Win98SE.    Im using both Outlook Express and Thunderbird on both systems.   One system has Zone Alarm on it,   the other does not.

4.5 is working fine on both systems.   No problems whatsoever.

Edit:    I made NO changes to either email client on either machine.     I simply rebooted the machine after the update notice came up,,   checked email on both machines...  it all worked fine.

Vlk...   can this have anything at all to do with server load today?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 07:51:16 PM by connie »

peterfu

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2004, 07:51:33 PM »
Running Outlook Express((latest) and ZA (latest free Version) on Windows 2000 - so far no problems
br
Peter

a61_a61

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2004, 08:01:14 PM »
Using hardware firewall, plus XP firewall.  No problems yet.  I did however undo all my settings for OE, K9, and PopTray before I installed the 4.5 update, then reset the other utilities.

a61

jbmcmillan

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2004, 08:08:36 PM »
Tipton, are you also using ZA?

Folks, tt would be quite interesting to find out whether the problem has anything to do with interaction between avast and ZA. I have the suspicion that it does.

Could you please try to confirm or deny this hypothesis? E.g. try disabling ZA temporarily and see if it helps.

Thanks
Vlk

I did as Lukor suggested and it is working now with no errors and it is scanning inbound mail not sure about outbound.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jbmcmillan: Right know I don't what could be the cause of your problem. Do you use any firewall? Some tool from your ISP or something like that?

We'll be working on a fix, ofcourse. Till then you can configure you mail via PopWizard as follows (protection will be the same as in version 4.1)

1) Open the file avast4.ini in "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\"
2) In the section [MailScanner] add the following line:
AutoRedirect=0

3) Run Pop wizard - that is
3a) change to the folder C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\
3b) execute ashPopWz.exe

4) in the basic settings dialog, choose Automaticaly protect all my accounts

5) default pop3 and smtp server leave on shawmail

This way you've disabled the new auto protect feature, and configured your account manualy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My error relates to redirect so not sure if that was what it is or not.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2004, 08:11:15 PM »
jbmcmillan, I understand that you probably have better things to do than tweaking avast but I'd definitely like to know if the "Redirect" issues are related to ZA.

That is (I'm a bit embarassed to ask) - could you revert the changes you've just made back and try disabling ZA and see if it helps..?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.