Author Topic: abnormal update today???  (Read 4133 times)

PigDog

abnormal update today???
« on: November 13, 2004, 05:01:41 PM »
XP SP2

Have been using Avast (free version) for many months and it's good.  

When I booted up today Avast setup had a longer then normal chat to Avast servers and afterwards some of my on-access settings had changed.  Any reason for this?

Unrelated question:  I do not use any e-mail client software, I do all of my e-mailing online (Yahoo).  Do I still need Avast mail scanner switched on or will the Standard Shield take care of things when I'm transfering things to my hard drive?

Tks

PigDog

Re:abnormal update today???
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 05:13:39 PM »
Some additional info:

Running Avast processes before today’s update:

C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe

after today’s update:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe

Which parts of Avast are these and why the change? ???

I'm a bit confused.

PigDog

peterfu

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 06:43:20 PM »
Today the new 4.5 version was released - so it's a normal update to the new version - nothing to worry about
br
Peter

techie101

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 08:44:21 PM »
Avast setup had a longer then normal chat to Avast servers and afterwards some of my on-access settings had changed.  Any reason for this?
Sometimes, if the servers are very busy, it may take a bit more time than usual, but what I am concerned about is why your OA settings changed.  Can you tell me which ones had changed?  Did you reset them correctly....and did Avast then function normally?

I do not use any e-mail client software, I do all of my e-mailing online (Yahoo).  Do I still need Avast mail scanner switched on or will the Standard Shield take care of things when I'm transfering things to my hard drive?
Avast uses the Internet Mail scanner to monitor and scan POP3 email and also the SMTP outgoing email from an email client.  Since Yahoo is web-based, unless you pay for POP3, Avast will scan only those files you download and attempt to open.  Should a file or download be infected, Avast will alert you and give you the options to repair,move, or delete.

;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 08:50:35 PM »
ashDisp.exe is not running?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

PigDog

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 12:31:55 AM »
I've gone through and set up Avast as I want it again and it's working fine now thanks.

I was having some trouble with Prevx update today as well, thought the world was out to get me.  Maybe they were interfering with each other a bit.  Taken Prevx off for now.  Latest version starts up twice at boot.

PigDog