Author Topic: Is this new?  (Read 3799 times)

a61_a61

Is this new?
« on: November 13, 2004, 05:14:09 PM »
This morning after updating to the new Avast 4.5 I did a few test by sending myself a number of e-mails with Suspicious extensions, like .exe,.bat,.scr, etc.  Avast deleted the attachments from the mail.

I also sent some e-mails with good attachments like .doc,.zip,.jpg,.gif,.wav, etc with one Suspicious extension .scr and all attachments were deleted. Known safe file attachments come through fine, except if there is one Suspicious extension attached with them.
The subject line has  [avast! heuristic - WARNING] when this happens. What a nice feature!

I think this is new with the new 4.5 version but not totally sure because I don't remember testing this before.  Anyway there is no doubt in my mind that Avast is the KING!

Thank you Avast
PS: and thanks for fixing the Skins too!

a61

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Is this new?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 05:26:45 PM »
What are your settings in the Heuristics Tab in the Internet Mail provider? If you have Silent Mode and Delete/Deny, then this could be the reason for deletion.

Another thing to check is your security settings in your email program. Recently in the OE update (for SP2 I think) certain attachments were blocked?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

a61_a61

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 06:05:53 PM »
David,

That's the way my setting are, Silent, Delete/Deny access.  You're right about the security changes in SP1, and even better changes in SP2 were made to OE.  My OE is set for best security.

But it this a new feature with Avast 4.5?

a61

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 06:03:14 PM »
But it this a new feature with Avast 4.5?

No... it's an old one:
email Heuristics detection and mark on subject: [avast - SUSPICIOUS]
The automatic delete for attachments is old too: Silent Mode with answer 'Yes'  ;)
The best things in life are free.