Author Topic: avast! On-access scanner message  (Read 29363 times)

parachutestx

Re:avast! On-access scanner message
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2004, 03:46:23 AM »
I had the same issue yesterday out of curiousity can anyone help me with something Looking up I had the same situation Avast warned me about the packet and said it had blocked it . Ironically enough it was because I had to shutdown Zonealarm for a moment and that popped up.

22.11.2004  17:38:24  DCOM Exploit attack
    from 4.26.161.30:135

My question is Im on SP1 because SP2 has given me problems.....but I check regularly for any new critical and high priority updates and Im patched up to date so how could that effect me ?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 03:50:31 AM by parachutestx »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2004, 06:46:52 PM »
Ironically enough it was because I had to shutdown Zonealarm for a moment and that popped up.

It's not ironical, just ZA was blocking this attack. Disabling it, avast! start to block.

My question is Im on SP1 because SP2 has given me problems.....but I check regularly for any new critical and high priority updates and Im patched up to date so how could that effect me ?

I think SP2 is a necessity and not a matter of opinion. Anyway, maybe you can solve your other problems (shutdown, etc.) and install it  8)
The best things in life are free.

TonyC

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2004, 10:27:14 PM »
Call me thick if you want to, but I do not know how to disable this DCOM Exploit scanner message.

Can you spell it out for me please...I'm really sick of reading it every 30 secs or so.

Cheers TC

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2004, 10:38:49 PM »
Just disable "Show warning messages" in the network shield provider.

Taken from the help:
Resident Protection: Network Shield - Settings

Show warning messages. When this options is on, avast! will display a warning message in the system area (above the system clock) every time it detects an Internet worm attack.
Logging. All attacks will be recorded into a log file so that you can inspect their history, frequency, etc. The last detected attacks will be displayed on the following page, Last attacks.

mulanee

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2004, 12:03:56 AM »
Where is the network shield provider ?

--
Emmanuel

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2004, 01:03:54 AM »
Where is the network shield provider ?

--
Emmanuel

Left click on the 'a' blue ball in your system tray (next your clock)
The Network Shild provider is shown in a list with all other providers at the left of this window.
Click in it.
Click in the buttom 'Customize'.
Disable (uncheck) "Show warning messages"  ;)

Gulinborsti

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2004, 09:30:32 PM »
Hi!

I just popped in to get some info about this "new" network shield feature. It's seems to work quite well.
I get a lot of these DCOM attack warnings, but I can't find a log of all the blocked attacks. All I found are those 10 last attacks on the configuration screen.
Is there a way to log more than those 10 entries or am I only to blind to find the right option? ;)

I really want to send my ISP a list of those, maybe the are able and/or willing to something against it...

Thanks in advance...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 09:31:38 PM by Gulinborsti »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2004, 03:02:53 AM »
Is there a way to log more than those 10 entries or am I only to blind to find the right option? ;)

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\Log\nshield.log  8)

Welcome to avast forums!
You can search the board for DCOM or Network Shield and found a lot of information...
I posted too much about it last days  ;)
For instance: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9159
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 03:07:40 AM by Technical »

amna

Re: avast! On-access scanner message
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2005, 12:24:33 PM »
hi,
i have avery similar problem to lise.i get a network shield message saying "Dcom exploit blocked from an ip address 192.168.6.16:135/tcp".i am using the latest version of avast antivirus,and i have also updated my pc. i tried dcombulator but that does not work. i did close the the network shield warning as Pk said and that was a great help thanks pk.
but i have a another question and that is does blocking the exploit by avast is enough to stop somebody from hacking or getting into my pc.i have not installed a firewall yet but i am hoping to do so today.i never had this problem before but now for the past 3 - 4 days this problem is quite tormenting

thanxs
amna

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast! On-access scanner message
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2005, 02:12:31 PM »
I tried dcombulator but that does not work.
People misunderstand the efficience of Dcombulator... it disables the service (DCOM) but does not avoid attacks.

Does blocking the exploit by avast is enough to stop somebody from hacking or getting into my pc.i have not installed a firewall yet but i am hoping to do so today.i never had this problem before but now for the past 3 - 4 days this problem is quite tormenting
No, avast is not enough... You should have a full firewall and not only the 'light' one feature of avast! NetShield.