Author Topic: Outlook Express Error  (Read 30715 times)

emma

Outlook Express Error
« on: November 13, 2004, 08:56:49 PM »
I have read through most of the thread 4.5 Mail  hoping to find the solution.  But I did not find a match and there were too many different things to follow.  So I am asking for help.
I tried to open my email.  This Error came up:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.omniglobal.net', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I have retried and rebooted several times. I read that having XP, I would not have to manually set my email protection.
I am sure this is a simple problem to solve.  I hope you will also give me simple directions to follow.

Thank you

techie101

Re:Outlook Express Error
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 09:00:46 PM »
Emma,

Firstly, XP has nothing to do with the configuration of Avast.  The new 4.5 version should do a better job of configuring the email client.

I would recommend that you use the Mail Protection Wizard found in the Programs/Avast folder.
Only applies to W98:  XP no longer uses the MPW.

Apparently the settings are not correct and connection to the server could not be made.

Should this nor work, then read the instructions in the Help file on "Manual configuration"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 05:40:32 PM by Techie101 »

emma

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 09:09:24 PM »
I went to Programs/Avast.  The only choices were: Avast Antivirus, Avast Website and the Help.  The Mail Protection Wizard is no longer there as it was before.
Is it somewhere else?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 09:17:06 PM »
Emma, have you reconfigured your mail client previously (manually, by changing the servers to 127.0.0.1 etc)?

If so, please revert it to the original state. That's all.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 09:21:39 PM »
Your right its gone, but only if using XP or an NT based OS as they aren't meant to need it, but you can find it in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 - look for, ashPopWz.exe - double click this and it will run the Wizard
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

emma

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 09:46:57 PM »
David: I found the Wizard but it told me I did not have to run because I was already protected.  Had to exit Wizard.

Vlk: When I first got avast, I followed the Wizard and don't remember  where or how  or if I changed anything to 127.0.01 etc.

When you direct me to revert,  I am sorry I do not know where or how to do that.
Just a wee bit more directions should do it. :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 09:54:05 PM »
Run the wizard again and (contrary to what you'd think) instruct it to REMOVE the protection from all your accounts.

That should do the trick.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 09:55:44 PM by Vlk »

emma

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 10:19:43 PM »
I checked the box to remove the protection from all accounts.  I then began receiving tons of email, but non of them were being scanned.

Went to the On-Access Scanner and all my Customs were checked to scan in and outbound mail and to insert the scan note.  
I noticed that only 4 of the providers were running. Looked at Internet Mail and right under the title it said:

The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start.    

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 10:24:41 PM »
Try to stop the provider and then start it. Does that make it running?

If not, please go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Is there avast Mail Scanner? Is it running? If no, can you start it?

emma

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 10:40:40 PM »
Yes, I went to the  Adminstrative Tools and started the Mail Scanner.  It started the 5th  Provider.  I then had to redo the Wizard and check remove protection.  Sent myself email and got scanning both ways.

Thanks

emma

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 11:04:40 PM »
The treat didn't last long.

The next time I tried to start email, I received error:

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop3.omniglobal.net', Server: 'smtp.omniglobal.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '500 Command unrecognized', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 500, Error Number: 0x800CCC62
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your User Name was rejected. Account: 'pop3.omniglobal.net', Server: 'pop3.omniglobal.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Unknown command: REDIRECT 12.162.134.6:110 2532', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91

I know I read about this in another post, but I could not understand the solution.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 11:05:33 PM »
Are you using a firewall?

emma

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 11:09:41 PM »
zone alarm

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 11:12:11 PM »
Hmm, again.
Everyone with this problem seems to be using ZA.

I will ask you the same question as I did in the other thread - could you try temporarily disabling ZA and see if it makes any difference?

Thanks
Vlk

emma

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004, 11:18:50 PM »
Disabled for 30 terrifying seconds.  And yes, the email  worked.  Reset ZA and same problem appeared.

Tried several more times to bring up the email and it came up --no problems with ZA on.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 11:22:09 PM by emma »