Author Topic: Outlook Express Error  (Read 30722 times)

Sojourner

Re:Outlook Express Error
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2004, 05:34:13 PM »
That is what I was just thinking, Starfighter; there was a recent update that maybe everyone didn't know about, since it is not automatic. We have to go to the site and download it as if we didn't already have ZA.

emma

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2004, 05:44:42 PM »
I just updated ZA to 5.5.062 the other day.

That seems to be the latest.

Sojourner

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2004, 05:51:54 PM »
I just updated ZA to 5.5.062 the other day.

That seems to be the latest.

That is what I have --- :)

stevejrc

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2004, 06:21:20 PM »
just a guess - has anyone tried turning off mailsafe in ZA (if it still has it), maybe that could interfere with avast? im using sygate so dont know.

emma

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2004, 06:49:37 PM »
stevejrc:  Thanks for your idea.  I tried and nada.  

What I just seem to be getting is that silly box  that I have to keep clicking on to get OE to start and then that is iffy.

I will probably have to call my ISP and get them involved.  Ugh.

Just add to the confusion.

Then I might uninstall ZA and reinstall.  Would give me something to do.  Keep me busy. Anyway I am no longer hyper about it.  Just waiting for someone to come along with the magic wand.
My goal right now is to DO NO HARM!!

techie101

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2004, 08:06:53 PM »
The Magic Wand has arrived !!!!!    ;D

Emma,
I think I have the answer, and specific instructions on a workaround. It does not have anything to do with ZA or Avast.

Follow the instructions here step by step or ask me for clarification.  It will take care of your intermitent problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q191687

Hope so... ::)

BaronBlitz

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2004, 03:36:50 PM »
I'm having the same problem. I can't send any emails as long as Avast is running. I don't use Zone Alarm so that can't be my problem. Outlook Express worked perfectly before the update to Avast. I have never changed any settings. It all used to work fine before. I'm using Outlook Express and running Windows XP home.

techie101

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2004, 05:37:09 PM »
Baron,

Emma's problem is a bit different than what I believe you have.

Check your settings in OE.  Avast 4.5 has a new mail configuration process which is differs from the old way.
OE should not be set to server address 127.0.0.1 anymore.
The OE server names for POP3 and SMTP should be those that your ISP provides and your username should NOT have an appersand (#) followed by the ISP server address.   Ex: [johndoe@isp.com] #pop.isp.com

Manually reconfigure OE and then reboot computer.  Avast 4.5 should pick up the email client and protect it without changing settings.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 05:38:18 PM by Techie101 »

emma

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2004, 07:31:16 PM »
For Techie

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2004, 10:21:50 PM »
BaronBlitz, do you have avast version 4.5.423?
What error message do you get from OE, exactly?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

emma

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2004, 01:00:31 AM »
For Techie

BaronBlitz

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2004, 01:02:27 AM »
BaronBlitz, do you have avast version 4.5.423?
What error message do you get from OE, exactly?

Thanks
Vlk

Vlk, I have avast version 4.5.523. The error I get from OE is "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

I get the police light in the task bar as avast checks the email but, it won't allow the message through. The only way I seem to be able to send email is if I turn off avast. I have no problem receiving email. The problem is only when I try to send email.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2004, 01:39:11 AM »
Vlk, I have avast version 4.5.523. The error I get from OE is "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

I get the police light in the task bar as avast checks the email but, it won't allow the message through. The only way I seem to be able to send email is if I turn off avast. I have no problem receiving email. The problem is only when I try to send email.

Vlk, one of my computers is exactly the same. I can receive but can't send... I'm working on it. Of course, XP SP2 and 4.5.523.

My other computer (this one), working perfectly.
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2004, 07:18:43 AM »
Technical,

Same trouble here.  My XP is ok with OE now.  I had to reconfigure.

My ME machine went down as well using Thunderbird.  New 4.5 would not configure, and Avast would not scan mail.  I had to use the 127.0.0.1 settings again for it to work.

Unfortunately, my W98 with OE is a mess since 4.5 and thusfar, I cannot get my email scanned and the SMTP side is down.

What the heck is going on????

And where is the Avast team on this????

Too many users have had serious trouble with 4.5

Is anyone working on a fix or new build?

???

conazus

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2004, 07:29:05 AM »
Technical,

Same trouble here.  My XP is ok with OE now.  I had to reconfigure.

My ME machine went down as well using Thunderbird.  New 4.5 would not configure, and Avast would not scan mail.  I had to use the 127.0.0.1 settings again for it to work.

Unfortunately, my W98 with OE is a mess since 4.5 and thusfar, I cannot get my email scanned and the SMTP side is down.

What the heck is going on????

And where is the Avast team on this????

Too many users have had serious trouble with 4.5

Is anyone working on a fix or new build?

???

Techie are you using the old port settings on your 98 machine?   110 and 25?    Can't use the new ones with 98..   I figure you already know that ?   Thought I'ld ask anyway.    From what Ive been able to figure out and reading some things VLk has said,   with 98 you still use the 127.0.0.1 and  the port settings the same as with 4.1...  and run the Mail Wizard    Ive had no problems with OE on either 98 machine here..   also using ZA (updated)