Author Topic: Avast free will not allow re-register of free version  (Read 18808 times)

SteveNH

Re: Avast free will not allow re-register of free version
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »
I seem to be getting same problem
Says 'free license' expired
the only option is paid version
I uninstall it completely - re-install current "free Version" and it gives me same message.

iroc9555

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »
SteveNH welcome to the forum

Eventhough the popup to register Avast! free is grey out, it should work. See screenshot.

The two common ways to register your Avast!

https://support.avast.com/index.php?languageid=1&group=eng&_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=612

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »
Yes it should work, I only used it recently after a clean reinstall of avast free.

If for some reason it doesn't are you getting any errors or what actually happens when you use the Register button in the image above ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Robert Kirbo

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »
I have two client machines running Avast 7 Free Edition and the exact behavior as described in the original post is occurring right now, as of May 2 2012.  They also will not accept Offline Registration.   I have never encountered this failure in more than ten years of using Avast in Pro and free versions, and I am thinking I will switch the clients to AVG if this cannot be resolved. 

These are supposed to be free one year licenses.  How hard would it be to post valid free license keys or have an instant pop-up generator that users could paste into their current editions?

In fact, how hard would it be to have the program automatically register when installed, and then remind the user to enter "Re-register Free Version" or "Upgrade to Pro Version" ??????

Admittedly, having the Email of the user is understandable but that would still be required during the initial install. 

Please resolve this issue.  Thank You!

pedro_deleon

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 10:45:50 PM »
I'm having this problem as well, for the first time after using Avast free for 3-4 yrs.

Basically, the interface says "retrieving information" and then does nothing.

I'm down to 18 days or so.    If I'm not allowed to re register until I get to 14days, why the notices til now?

Eduardo in Costa Rica with the Avast support group reviewed my PC online last week, suggested a possible fix, then broke off the help session just as I was using that suggested re registration path he recommended.   So that method was lost, since his disconnection closed that browser tab.

This whole process has become annoying, and is leading me to (a) switch, and (b) cease recommending the product as I've done often in the past.

I've also gotten annoyed at new 'features' such as the black listing, white listing etc on my Outlook that appear without warning, and that I don't want but cannot disable, beyond cumbersome workarounds.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:55:28 PM by pedro_deleon »