Author Topic: Mixing and matching domain & workgroup (non-domain) systems  (Read 4001 times)

mpadams

Mixing and matching domain & workgroup (non-domain) systems
« on: October 12, 2011, 09:37:19 PM »
Three things...

1. Manual entry of workgroup (non-domain) machines on the management server seems to work: as long as you only use the Windows computer name (no domain suffix) for the computer name. I've used uppercase for the ID, and lowercase for the DNS entry; it might be case-sensitive.

2. The non-domain systems need to be set to use a non-domain IP/hostname to use for contacting the management server (change made in Settings->Troubleshooting->Admin Console).

3. An unexpected bug: one of my non-domain XP systems has an underscore in its computer name, but the management server won't allow underscore DNS entries.

Offline giogio

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Mixing and matching domain & workgroup (non-domain) systems
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:44:19 PM »
3. An unexpected bug: one of my non-domain XP systems has an underscore in its computer name, but the management server won't allow underscore DNS entries.

this is already known

not a bug - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname#Restrictions_on_valid_host_names
but maybe we should remove the "_" check...

I don't know if the newest relase fix this issue, but what version of ABP console are you running?
Prima di scrivere sul forum per favore leggi le istruzioni qui https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144453.0
Non inviatemi MP per supporto,grazie-No support PM please
Home: E8400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win10.0.15063x64-Avast! Free 17.3.2291-CryptoPrevent-MBAM 2.2free-Chrome 57(uBlock origin)-TB52
Work: i5-2400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win 7sp1x64-Avast!Business Security 12.3.2515,     
Cloud Console 2.18
-FF52-TB52

mpadams

Re: Mixing and matching domain & workgroup (non-domain) systems
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 11:37:49 PM »
Version 1.1.131.7

And I should also have noted that you may need to restart the Avast service on the client to get it to connect.