Author Topic: Avast 4.5 and Thunderbird  (Read 14020 times)

Offline colincr

Avast 4.5 and Thunderbird
« on: November 13, 2004, 09:55:07 PM »
I installed the update to Avast and am running version 4.5.  However avast will not scan any incoming or outgoing e-mails using thunderbird.  Is there any way to make this happen?
Cheers
Colin

Offline colincr

Re:Avast 4.5 and Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 11:33:53 PM »
I tried uninstalling and re-installing avast but did not work and still have same problem.  Avast will display waiting for subsystem to start for "Outlook/Exchange" even if i have a email client open (Thunderbird or Outlook express).  When i open Microsoft Outlook 2003 though the provider starts.  Avast will also only scan incoming and outgoing e-mails using microsoft outlook 2003 and will not do scanning with thunderbird or Outlook express.  Any help or reasons why may be happening welcome.
Cheers

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 11:36:05 PM »
Is the Internet Mail provider running?
BTW why do you think it's not scanning?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline colincr

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 11:42:41 PM »
The internet mail provider is running.  Belive its not cscanning whilst using Thunderbird or Outlook express because when i sent a eicar test virus to this address and used Thunderbird/Outlook express to recieve it no warning came up.  When i tried recieving it with Microsoft Outlook it did.  Also have set avast to insert notes to clean messages and they do not appear when sent/recieved using TB or OE. They do however, with MOutlook.  
Cheers

inthewildteam

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 01:11:48 AM »
Thunderbird 0.9 running under XP Pro on 2 different machines. Manually configured for the previous avast! version.
Haven't made any changes other than updating avast! to 4.5 and incoming and outgoing mail are checked fine.

I don't have Outlook/Exchange provider running, and didn't have it running before the update to 4.5, as i don't use either programme.

Internet mail provider set to high.

tenordrummer

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 01:39:14 AM »
I too, am having problems with Avast 4.5 and Thunderbird. After installing the update I could not receive my email or send any email. I reconfigured my incoming and outgoing email server settings to the settings my provider requires. When trying to send emails it keeps asking for my password, but will not accept it. When receiving it says that an error occurred. I do not get these messages in Outlook Express and can receive and send mail through OE.  I'm running Thunderbird version 0.9 (20041103). Any help here?  :(

inthewildteam

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 02:17:25 AM »
Not sure if this helps but the update seems to have changed my previous manually changed settings in avast4.ini
to
EmailChestFile_To=virus@asw.cz
ProblemEmail=support@avast.com
MaximumSendSize=1024
SMTPServer=
SMTPFrom=
SMTPPort=25
SMTPUserName=
SMTPUserPassword=

I hope this doesn't cause more confusion because T/Bird is being scanned without any problems for me.

Offline colincr

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 02:28:40 AM »
Does Avast use Internet Mail provider to check for viruses in e-mails using Thunderbird and Outlook Express?  I wasn't sure whether it used Outlook/Exchange provider or Internet Mail provider.
Colin

techie101

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 03:52:20 AM »
OK, here goes.

The new 4.5 was suppossed to handle the configuration by itself so that you would not need to use the 127.0.0.1 internal server setting,

BUT...it does not work.  I went through the same thing tonight with my Thunderbird AND Pegasus.

It was necessary for me to re-run the MPW and have Avast set things back to the old way using 127.0.0.1 and reconfiguring the username format to add the "#pop.isp.com and #smtp.isp.com endings.

Both email clients work now and the "insert" nows appears in scanned email messages both ways.

Outlook Express is still having problems, but I suspect that it is the same thing.

Manually reconfigure the settings. If you use the MPW and check Remove all protection, then Avast basically disconnects itself and your email is no longer scanned (even though it wasn't anyway... ;D)

I will notify the Avast Team that there are still some bugs in the release.

Let me know if this helps you.

tenordrummer

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 04:04:09 AM »
Thanks. I'm not having problems with Outlook Express, just Thunderbird. I don't know what MPW is or where to find it. I manually reset my settings both in OE & Thunderbird and got OE to work, but Thunderbird still keeps asking for my password & won't accept it. :'(

techie101

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 04:10:38 AM »
The MPW (Mail Protection Wizard) is normally in the Programs folder of Avast, but I noticed that it no longer appears for my  Win XP system.

You can manually configure your email client by reading Manual Configuration in the Help file.

As for TB, uncheck the "use password" under the SMTP outgoing settings menu.  Reboot and try again.

If it works, then go back in and recheck the box.

Also, after you type the password, ask the system to remember it and see if that helps.  You can always uncheck "Remember password" at a later time.

This might help.  Open up the Options menu in TB and go into Advanced tab.  Then open up Manage Passwords.
Click Display passwords.  When it asks if you really want to display password, click yes.  Check to insure that the password has not changed.  Hide password again and exit.

Try again.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 04:16:48 AM by Techie101 »

tenordrummer

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2004, 04:20:02 AM »
I can't send email without using a password, my server requires. I tried unchecking the box & it wouldn't send. Outlook works fine after manually reconfiguring it. I don't know what the problem with TB is, but it won't send at all.

When sending I get the following message:

"The message could not be sent because connect to SMTP server smtp.isp.com failed. File server may be unavailable or is refusing stmp connections. Please verify that your smtp server steeing is correct and try again or contact your administrator."

Don't get that message with Outlook Express.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 04:22:39 AM by tenordrummer »

neal62

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 04:27:29 AM »
Strange, I also am using Thunderbird 0.9 (20041103). I have the latest Avast 4.5. All I had to do was change my incoming and outgoing from 127.0.0.1 to the normal settings that my e-mail ISP required. Thunderbird and the new version of Avast are working great doing that and Avast is scanning both incoming and outgoing mail. I of course had to tell Avast to do this but it's working fine. ::)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 04:29:06 AM by neal62 »

techie101

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2004, 06:17:33 AM »
It could be that Thunderbird needs to be updated to the latest version 9.0.

Tenor,
Is your version of TB the latest?  If not, then update to 9.0.  Set up TB normally using your ISP server names.

Reboot the computer after TB is configured and see if Avast 4.5 sets up the scanning without changing the settings to 127.0.0.1

I have the older version of TB and will try the same thing in the morning.

Too late and can't think any more.  Need some sleep.
We'll get back on this tomorrow.

Nite.

tenordrummer

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2004, 06:26:59 AM »
I am using the latest version of TB. That was the first thing I checked.