Author Topic: Avast 4.5 and Thunderbird  (Read 14059 times)

techie101

Re:Avast 4.5 and Thunderbird
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2004, 06:38:21 AM »
tenor,

What I can do is post my settings for TB to see if that helps you.
Its' getting late so I will do it tomorrow.

Please send me an IM to remind me....Ok?

Scannerdesk

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2004, 07:29:12 AM »
I have 4.5 and Thunderbird all updated and evrything is running fine.  I changed the 127.0.0.1 back to the proper pop and smtp settings for my ISP and made sure my user id didn't have any #pop.isp.com on the tail end and all works fine.

You might want to reset your mail account passwords.

mrdomestos

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2004, 10:24:33 AM »
I got a similar problem. I am using the latest Avast version (just updatet) and Thunderbird 0.9. I got no firewall installed. Receiving email works fine after manually set my account settings. But i cant sent email. I disabled the smtp outbound check in avast, but the tryicon showing that avast tries to scan appears. When i disable the avast mail scanner everything works fine. Anyone got an idea what to configure/change? Thanx.

Opps, forgot: I am using WinXP
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 10:48:26 AM by mrdomestos »

Negeltu

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2004, 10:34:48 AM »
New v. of Thunderbird is 0.9 not 9.0.  Just making a correction. :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2004, 11:31:27 AM »
Today i downloaded huge amount of mails from my old accounts (over 274 mails) and all were checked by Internet mail provider in Thunderbird 0.9
254 mails were infected and cleaned automatically (Silent mode).

But i think silent mode for mails should be delete directly.
Mails can really fill chest with files and there is usually a very small chance of false positive.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2004, 01:56:08 PM »
Receiving email works fine after manually set my account settings. But i cant sent email.

Please check that you don't have the SMTP authorization enabled in ThurnderBird. (or that you have there the correct username/password required by your ISP)

mrdomestos

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2004, 02:15:03 PM »
Receiving email works fine after manually set my account settings. But i cant sent email.
Please check that you don't have the SMTP authorization enabled in ThurnderBird. (or that you have there the correct username/password required by your ISP)
Found the problem. Username/password was correct. SMTP authorization was disabled, but the checkbox use "TLS, when available" was checked. Changing this to "no" made it work. Thanx.

But why does avast scan the outgoing email (it even inserted a mailheader into the clean mail) when i disabled this feature in avast?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 02:18:30 PM by mrdomestos »

techie101

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2004, 03:29:35 PM »
Tenor,

My settings for TB had to go back to the original settings.

I have mine set as follows:
server set to 127.0.0.1
POP set to username#pop.isp.com format   Port 110

SMTP set to uername#pop.isp.com format   Port 25
Username and Password boxed checked.
No Secure connection (SSL).
No Secure Authentication

I know that Scanner said he removed the # format from his TB and it works, but mine did not.  Removing the # from my TB got it to work, but Avast did not scan it or insert a message into a scanned email

All I can say is try both formats until this all gets sorted out.

My OE now is working fine returning everything to the "pre-Avast" state.  Avast 4.5 now takes care of the configuration as it should.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 03:30:05 PM by Techie101 »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2004, 03:43:15 PM »
Did you disable that in the Internet Mail provider, on the tab SMTP?

The term Outbound mail scanning appears in Outlook / Exchange provider - perhaps that might confused you. Outlook / Exchange plugin is not used with Thunderbird.

Lukas.

mrdomestos

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 05:16:32 PM »
Did you disable that in the Internet Mail provider, on the tab SMTP?
The term Outbound mail scanning appears in Outlook / Exchange provider - perhaps that might confused you. Outlook / Exchange plugin is not used with Thunderbird.

Yes, i changed this in the Internet Mail provider tab. All settings in this tab are disabled. The Outlook provider is not running on my machine because I disabled it. I tried other settings no luck so far. To me it seems the settings on the SMTP tab have no effects.

Thomas R.

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2004, 10:07:40 PM »
Remove the internal 127.0.0.1 provider-settings in your emailprogram and restore the settings of your external provider (server): pop (dot). ............ (dot) .. en smpt (dot). ......... (dot).. I did it to-day after the Avast-update to version 4.5-418, when my Mozilla Thunderbird refused to get connection with the emailserver.... Now it works like a 'tierelier' again.   ::)

techie101

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2004, 11:08:03 PM »
Thomas,

TB WILL work fine if you restore the old settings but make sure Avast is scanning the email!

Restoring the old settings will fix the connection problem for the email but I doubt if Avast is scanning the email as it should.

The exact same thing happened to me.  I first restored the "natural" settings to get my email working, then had to go back to 127.0.0.1 thing to have Avast scan the email.

tenordrummer

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2004, 12:11:09 AM »
Techie,

I finally got TB to work sending email. I had my user name wrong....ooops   :-\ Thanks for all your help.

apple

Re:Avast 4.5 and Thunderbird and security
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2004, 02:21:49 AM »
hi all,
i am new to this forum and not sure if this belongs here or on some Thunderbird forum.
Here it is :

while i was sniffing IP traffic (to watch the hackers, i have a lot of TCP port 445 attacks...) on my W98SE (yeah i know...) with Avast 4.5.523 (with mail protection active) & Thunderbird 0.9 (20041103), i got a fright: my IMAP login and password was going on the wire IN THE CLEAR!!!

for the ones familiar with IMAP:

with Thunderbird settings:
Server type: IMAP
Server Name: 127.0.0.1; port=143
User name: <login>#<IMAPserver>

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 X-NETSCAPE LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN] (omitted IMAP blah blah)
1 LOGIN "<login>" "<password>"
1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 X-NETSCAPE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] User <login> authenticated
... (omitted IMAP conversation doing fine)

BUT with Thunderbird settings:
Server type: IMAP
Server Name: <IMAPserver>; port=143
User name: <login>

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 X-NETSCAPE LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN] (omitted IMAP blah blah)
1 capability
* CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 X-NETSCAPE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN
1 OK CAPABILITY completed
2 authenticate login
+ VXNlciBOYW1lAA==
cGF1bEBwdXJqdXMubmV0
+ UGFzc3dvcmQA
TGFUZWI3Q3Vv
2 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 X-NETSCAPE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] User <login> authenticated
... (omitted IMAP conversation doing fine)

case 1. the LOGIN command sends login and password in the clear
case 2.  the AUTHENTICATE command "cyphers" the login password

Conclusion: Email scanning is working fine with AVAST4.5 BUT quite insecure with the first IMAP settings;
why is Thunderbird not doing the authenticate thing (scrambling login and password with MD5+base64)?
is it something to do with the localhost 127.0.0.1 address?
or is AVAST mail scanning intercepting something and stripping the authenticate command?

Anyone has a clue and/or experienced this?

For the time being i will stop using the mail protection from AVAST because my IMAP server does not have SSL on port 993 nor supports STARTTLS

I have not tried with POP3 which uses the same AUTHENTICATE mechanism i think (IMAP is so much nicer to use!)

Regards from Paris, France.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2004, 03:01:38 PM »

I have and need... not working with 4.5.529 Beta version  :'(
What changed from the first beta versions to now...?
I was able to send authenticated email since last week...  :'(
The best things in life are free.