Author Topic: Re:RPC error & On-Access Protect  (Read 5141 times)

pwebonline

Re:RPC error & On-Access Protect
« on: April 16, 2004, 06:04:17 PM »
I am getting the same error and can't enable the resident protection:

"avast!: The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error! The operation could not be completed."

I tried stopping the services and then running them manualy but it didn't work.

PS: I am using Avast 4.1.357 Home Edition with VPS 0416-2
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 06:09:55 PM by Vlk »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 06:10:37 PM »
What message did you get when trying to start the "avast Antivirus" service, exactly?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jonsbabygirl

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 04:51:24 PM »
Same here I get the RPC error, what can I do about it?

Odette

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 11:58:21 PM »
I have had the same problem ever since the latest automatic upgrade(4.1.357).  When I try to enable the On Access Scanner, The pop-up message is, "The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error.  The operation could not be completed."  I checked for Windows updates, but my system (WinXP Media Edition) is up to date.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 04:18:09 AM »
Errors on RPC are commonly related to bad installation and the presence of other antivirus application in the system...  :-\

Can you choose the 'Repair' option from Control Panel > avast antivirus?
If it does not work, can you uninstall/boot/intall/boot and see if this is corrected?
The best things in life are free.

alphanumeric

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 11:59:50 PM »
I have had the same problem ever since the latest automatic upgrade(4.1.357).  When I try to enable the On Access Scanner, The pop-up message is, "The AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error.  The operation could not be completed."  I checked for Windows updates, but my system (WinXP Media Edition) is up to date.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Same here, since the last automatic version update. I'm running 2Kpro sp-4. If I reboot my PC the blue avast ball in the system try shows a little red x or something. If I double click it I get the following error:
 Avast: The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error.  >:( After that it works, until I reboot. I checked my services, avast Antivirus, avast iAVS4 Service, and avast Mail Scanner are all set to automatic. I un-installed Avast rebooted and then installed the latest version, same problem. I don't have any other antivirus app installed. This is realy starting to be a pain. :(

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 12:09:46 AM »
If you don't click the tray icon, does it eventually start and the red x disappears from the icon - or not?

BTW can you try to start the avast antivirus service manually?
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

alphanumeric

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 01:50:11 AM »
If you don't click the tray icon, does it eventually start and the red x disappears from the icon - or not?

BTW can you try to start the avast antivirus service manually?
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

Thanks
Vlk
If I don't do anything the the red x stays. If I double click it, it starts after I close the RPC error window that pops up. I am going to check a few things and post back. I'm in the middle of doing a thorough virus scan to make sure I'm clean and I don't want to reboot till i'm done.

alphanumeric

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 03:10:55 PM »
Looks like I lied, it does eventually start on it's own. Takes about 2 minutes before the red thingy disappears. Launching Outlook will clear it too. Did a full virus scan including archive files and Avast says I'm clean. Looking at my services while it's still got the red mark shows avast iAVS4 as started and avast Antivirus as starting. I guess Avast is working Ok, I just have to wait for it to get up to speed.  ???  I know in the past the wait was much shorter.