Author Topic: Problem loading software at startup and beyond  (Read 5726 times)

AJones

Problem loading software at startup and beyond
« on: November 14, 2004, 07:14:21 AM »
Hi:
First of all thanks for a good product. It has been greatly useful.
I am posting after a long time, which means that I have not had problem this far. Yesterday, the program updated as usual. VRDB + program update. Today When I started the computer, it did not load at startup, I get a message starting error loading, please send error report which I did.

Here are the particulars of the software version 0446-3 11/11/04, When I start the program upon Windows load up, I get a message stating

Problem at startup

Parameter is incorrect

The scan completed with errors

87 = The Parameter is incorrect.

I had used Spybot yesterday, it removed some adware from my computer, Do you think that is the cause. But I doubt it, becoz I started computer soon after Avast loaded up regularly. This is happening only upon the latest program update.

Thanks a lot for your Help & a great software.

Alan

techie101

Re:Problem loading software at startup and beyond
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 07:22:52 AM »
AJ,

It is possible that you removed a file affecting program starts with Spybot.  It has been known to identify files that are needed and thus, people remove them not knowing.

Anyway, let's try a repair of Avast first.  Go into the Control Panel and click Add/Remove.  Find Avast and double click on it to open up the Options menu.  Find Repair and click it to run a repair of vital Avast setup files.  After the Repair is done, exit the Options screen.

Reboot computer when complete.  Try Avast again and let me know how it works.

Also, what version of Avast are you using?  The latest is 4.5.518
446-3 is the VPS database version.

AJones

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 07:49:48 AM »
Hi Techie 101:

I tried what you said. The problem still remains. I tried Spybot recover, but there was nothing there to recover from the item list. The  Avast version I have is 4.5, the tortal size of Avast as reported by Add/Remove is 41.34 MBytes. I am using Windows Xp Pro, Pentium 4 2.8GhZ.  Do I have to install a new program all over again?

Thanks,
AJ

AJones

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 02:39:17 PM »
Hi I downloaded the latest Avast; removed the old one and installed the latest. I still get the same error at startup, Afyer startup when I use the avast tray Icon to choose On-Access Protection control I get a message stating

AAVM!: The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error

The operation could not be completed

What is wrong here, What should I do. Please help

Alan

AJones

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 02:41:08 PM »
I am running on Windows XP SP2 Pro Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz machine

Thanks,
AJ

AJones

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 03:05:35 PM »
Hi:

Here i steh chronology of the update from Event View from Admin Tools

11/13/2004 11:53:17 AM The program was automatically updated.  
11/13/2004 3:18:21 PM AAVM - initialization error: AavmStart: avworkInitialize failed, 0000005

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 06:42:47 PM »
5 means access denied. Strange indeed.

Could you please go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and check under which account is the avast antivirus service installed?

Just open its properties and go to the Log On tab.

Also, which account do you use to log on (interactively)? Does the account have admin rights (it doesn't have to, I'd just like to know).

thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

AJones

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 08:08:42 PM »
Hi:

The LogOn is to Local System Account & Allow to interact with the system is checked. The other option Log to this account is blocked. This is on my Home computer, I have automatic Login.  Yesterday I did not shutdown but Logged Off and Logged back. BTW I installed it again I scanned at Boot I found three Trojans -gen{VC} A0047540.exe, A0043165.exe at /Systems/../RP107. I still have the same problem with this RPC error. I happen to search on this forum. I found person one stating delete Common, Share Portal folder, SystemDefault folder in Program Files directory. I only found common files folder & nothing else.

AJones

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 05:08:13 AM »
Hi:

I Have been trying my best effort in getting this to work. I seem to have similar problems like the rest of the posters with "Parameter 87", and the "blank screen" .

I installed the latest package on an old P3 machine with Windows XP Pro without Service Pack 2. It installed without a hitch and it seems to work fine. The problem seems to be with machines with SP2. Has anyone made any progress with solving this problem. I can actually wait if the fix is made in the next  update.

Thanks all,

Alan

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 06:21:37 AM »
Do you still have problems with version 4.5.523?

AJones

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 06:38:11 AM »
Eddy:

I have not installed on the present computer yet, Is the latest package for download at

http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html

The size is 8.9 MB same as version 4.5.518, I have not downloaded this yet. Could you please answer my RPC Locator problem for that I posted in a new posting?

Thanks,
Alan