Author Topic: Temporarily disabling all avast network traffic?  (Read 3714 times)

ImCrimson

Temporarily disabling all avast network traffic?
« on: October 17, 2011, 10:59:11 PM »
Hi! First I'd like to thank you for an excellent AV software, been using the free version for years without a hitch.

Now I have a question; Is there any way to temporarily prevent Avast from generating any network traffic? This may sound like a weird inquiry, but the reason I'd like to do this is because I occasionally connect my laptop to the Internet via the GPRS modem in my mobile phone (when no WiFi is around). This type of Internet connection is extremely sluggish, so I while I'm doing this I'd like to block all nonessential network traffic. I've been successful in this with most applications on my laptop, Avast excluded. I always seem to be unlucky enough to connect to the Internet right when Avast wants to download an update or check for definitions. Avast will hog all the bandwidth and prevent me from getting anything done.

Naturally I've tried disabling the real-time shields, but this doesn't appear to prevent network activity. I've also been unable to block Avast with the Windows firewall.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Temporarily disabling all avast network traffic?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 11:22:32 PM »
I'm not saying it's gonna disable all the network traffic, there's no setting for that I'm afraid - but if you set program and virus definition updates to "Ask when an update is available", the checks for the update availability (as opposed to the real update downloads) should be of negligible in size.

The real-time shields don't generate any network traffic themselves, the relevant shields only monitor the traffic already going on.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 01:35:33 AM »
I wish, and already posted in the think tank of avast, that an option very useful would be a network block (with exceptions) when you're using mobile Internet for instance. Generally you want nothing, except something.
But seems that firewall guys never thought this way.
ZoneAlarm has this option 10 years ago... It was also useful for dial-up users.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 02:06:49 AM »
This wasn't a selective option (as the OP is suggesting) ZA had a big button which blocked all internet traffic.

Not what the OP is asking but for avast to "temporarily prevent Avast from generating any network traffic."

We don't even know if the OP has the AIS version with avast firewall, he is just looking to stop avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 02:34:44 AM »
ZA had a big button which blocked all internet traffic.
With the possibility of making exceptions (at least on old versions).

Not what the OP is asking but for avast to "temporarily prevent Avast from generating any network traffic."
You're right. I've got off topic. Sorry.
The best things in life are free.