Author Topic: PLS HELP  (Read 3101 times)

fantasy

PLS HELP
« on: November 15, 2004, 05:53:08 PM »
Thanks.

I have downloaded the latest version of avast. However the problem is that there is alway a red flash saying there is some problem with downloading updates or something. More info click here. It then shows the connection time period. It happens quite often.

When I try to update iavs or repair the avast there is always connection problem, retrying... which doesnt connect anyway.

I format my computer then 1st thing installed avast, restart and update. Same problem occur.

Pls help. Thank you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:PLS HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 06:38:20 AM »
I format my computer then 1st thing installed avast, restart and update.
So you went online without protection............ Anything could have happened.

1] Pull out the plug to the inet
2] Install Windows
3] Install a firewall
4] Install a av
5] Go online and install ALL security patches/updates

fantasy

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 07:45:18 AM »
OK I done that but still same problem. Has it anything to do with sygate firewall configurations? I allowed anything that is to do with avast, but ....

The same happen also with the online game called gunbound. After I allow all the related programs to access online. When I try to login, my com suddenly just black out and reboot. A just recovered from serious problem report will appear after every startup.

The avast problem and gunbound problem appears at the same time. I have reformated a few times trying your method too. Is there a bug or something? I have also installed adware and S&D.

Pls help. Thank you.

techie101

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 08:05:26 AM »
fantasy,

You have too much going on at one time.  Let's try to simplify things a bit.

First, Did you have Sygate installed when the "red" boxes first started coming up? or did you put the firewall in afterwards?

Second, uninstall the game for now.

Third, Go into Sygate and set any instance of Avast to "Ask".  When Avast asks the system for access, then check YES.  Sygate has been known to "forget" the authorization settings.

Lastly, what version of Avast do you have....It should be 4.5.523 with the VPS 447-0

wanchan

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 08:27:16 AM »
I just want to re-confirm with what Eddy and Techie have said - Do one thing at a time.

Eddy's steps are what I use mostly. After installed Windows, install a firewall, and then AV. At this point, spend a few mins fine-tune the firewall to make  it recognize things you have on your system, esp. resident apps such avast. After you've got a feeling everything is working alright on your system. Go do Windows Update. Gaming, that is something you want to do on the 2nd or 3rd day.  ;D

Have you rented an apt ever? If so, it is pretty much like moving to a new apartment - you cant do everything on the day you've moved in ;) Of course, except yours was extremely luxurious fully serviced one ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 08:28:09 AM by wanchan »