Author Topic: version confusion  (Read 4314 times)

pancakegeorge

version confusion
« on: November 14, 2004, 03:39:43 PM »
Hi
I recently bought two licenses for avast pro - no probs for the last couple of weeks and have been well pleased with the way it has worked.

Today, I selected program update and it screwed up my email - read through various posts and managed to get 4.5.518 working on one machine by changing from 127.0.0.1 to other mail server settings and removing avast from Bat virus plugin options.

Second machine is still stuffed and kept coming up with 'cannot connect to server' error message - then i cancelled, and kept getting a warning about cancelling corrupting avast.

After repeating this a few times after trying uninstalls and reinstalls but same message still coming up, I've now reverted to a previous OS image, started from the trial version, added the license key and tried updating - seems to be working as it downloads 4.5.518 as I type this.

My question is - should I download these program updates, or am I downloading beta versions? Is there an older stable version I should stick with and just update dat files? I don't have time to mess around trying to keep re-configuring stuff - I need to get work done and just want a stable program version, then get a notification of a major stable release.

Having to configure the avast ini file and configure for the bat in the first instance, then unconfigure in the next instance is mashing my brain.

OK - other machine is also now working - both have 4.5.518 with vps 0446-2

Can anyone tell me if I should disable program update notification (i.e. are these 4.5 versions just betas)?

Thanks for your help.

Neron

Re:version confusion
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 03:46:37 PM »
the version you have on your computer are not beta versions.They are final versions and there is no nedd to do anything else. ;)

pancakegeorge

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 03:51:42 PM »
Thanks Neron.
I haven't had time to follow the forum on this - and it came as a nasty surprise when stuff just stopped working...

Cheers

k

techie101

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 04:45:48 PM »
pancake,

Unfortunately, new program updates can cause difficulty unforseen in a final release.
This has happened with 4.5.518
It is an excellent improvement over the older 4.1 so stay with it.  It is sometimes better to stay with the "rest of the group" and work things out, then to switch back to an older version that may have flaws the new version corrects.

It is a part of being in a computer environment.

I have 3 systems using Avast Home and Pro.  All 3 email clients went buggy with 4.5 and each had to be set "back" differently to work.  (Thunderbird, Pegasus and OE)  I guess it is the "nuances" of each Avast/Email client combo.

Any other problems, come back to us and we will work them out together.

OK?   ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 04:47:45 PM by Techie101 »

pancakegeorge

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 01:57:20 PM »
I agree that not having to mess around with the ini file and set avast as a plugin for the bat is a definite improvement (as well as any other under the hood bits like network scanner for worms), but it might be an idea in the future to email people if an upgrade is likely to 'break' configurations.

Fair enough that everyone has different systems and requirements, so everyone will be slightly different, but it might save some support responses if there is a warning about major changes like this. Since I'm often messing around with my system, thinking that it was the virus scanner that was preventing me from emailing was not my first thought, and there are not enough hours in the day to monitor all of the forums all of the time - I guess this mght make me a slack bastard for wanting to have some time down the pub  ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 02:04:51 PM »
George, I'd like to apologize for the problems. We have realized that changing the Mail Scanner ports from 25/110/143 to 12025/12110/12143 was probably not the greatest idea since it would break configurations for people who have set it up manually.

We have changed this behavior in 4.5.523 which, when doing UPGRADE from previous versions (in contrast to regular install) listens on 25/110/143 again so that people shouldn't notice any difference.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

pancakegeorge

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 02:12:14 PM »
Thanks Vlk.

I have to agree with other posters - the avast team and support wipe the floor with people like norton etc.

We are certainly impressed - it makes a really nice change to the 'grab the money and run' attitude that some of these other companies have.

Cheers  :)