Author Topic: Windows7 64Bit and manual definition file update.  (Read 5096 times)

Beatus

Windows7 64Bit and manual definition file update.
« on: October 19, 2011, 05:28:08 PM »
I have a Windows7 64bit (home edition) PC on a very slow internet connection where automatic updates seem impossible. So I tried updating the virus definitions by downloading the executable file (vpsupd.exe) available under "Support, downloads, updates" from another location, but Windows7-64bit appears to have a problem with it; it complains about the executable not being compatible with that version of windows and refuses to run it.

Anyone come across that problem and/or solved it?

spg SCOTT

Re: Windows7 64Bit and manual definition file update.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 05:48:55 PM »
Hi Beatus, welcome to the forum :)

I have the same setup as you (Win 7 64) and the vpsupd.exe download works as it should (I can see it open and it tells me that it my database is up to date.

I used this link to the file:
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/vpsupd.exe

(available from the website)

So I tried updating the virus definitions by downloading the executable file (vpsupd.exe) available under "Support, downloads, updates" from another location
Do you mean that you downloaded it from a different machine?

It may be that the download is providing the version correct for that machine, rather than the one that you want. (Not sure if there are two different versions provided)

I will try and test it by downloading it on a 32 bit system (when I can) and transferring it over, to see if I can replicate.

Scott

Beatus

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 11:16:40 AM »
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the feedback :)

Do you mean that you downloaded it from a different machine?
Yes, from a different machine, at a different location and another OS, I downloaded it from a Linux PC I have access to at work. Well, if it works correctly for you then it's probably something that I did wrong, I'll recheck and make sure that I did everything correctly; download the correct file, properly unmount the usb flash drive and try again.

Thanks!

Xircal

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:14:11 PM »
I just want to hop in briefly with a question of my own which concerns downloading program updates manually.

My girlfriend lives in a remote part of Thailand and can only connect to the Web using a 2G Aircard. It's impossible to download definition or program updates via that method since the connection usually drops before the download completes.

I understand from the info already posted that definition updates can be downloaded to another machine and then installed via a USB stick, but what's the position regarding program updates? 

If running the latest setup file is all that's required, is the prompt to register going to popup again or will the program recognize that it's already been registered?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 12:18:06 PM »
If running the latest setup file is all that's required, is the prompt to register going to popup again or will the program recognize that it's already been registered?

It will recognize that it's already registered. :)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 12:37:42 PM »
Yes, from a different machine, at a different location and another OS, I downloaded it from a Linux PC I have access to at work. Well, if it works correctly for you then it's probably something that I did wrong, I'll recheck and make sure that I did everything correctly; download the correct file, properly unmount the usb flash drive and try again.

I have finally managed to try with a 32 bit machine to see if it makes a difference. I found that it works correctly.

I would suggest that the download was corrupted at some point in the process. Your best bet would be to try the download again, possibly from another location or use a different usb drive to track down the issue.

Scott

Xircal

This should be in it's own thread really, but running the setup file will just update over the existing installation. (as if you had run the program update from the program.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
For those having problems downloading database updates, usually the database updates are of some 10s to 300 KB. So if downloading that is a problem, then downloading the whole VPS of more than 31MB (nowadays closer to 40MB) is not going to be easier, except if you use a different connection and then transfer the downloaded VPS to the destination system to update it.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 01:07:36 PM »
...except if you use a different connection and then transfer the downloaded VPS to the destination system to update it.

That's what they try to do. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 01:17:01 PM »
...except if you use a different connection and then transfer the downloaded VPS to the destination system to update it.

That's what they try to do. ;)
Yes, but since several different users are posting here, I just wanted to make it clear that a full download is MUCH bigger than the normal built in update. In other words, the built in update is not downloading 30 or 40 MB each time, but only 100s of KB.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 01:35:51 PM »
I think it is not necessarily the amount that is the issue, but the stability of the connection:

on a very slow internet connection where automatic updates seem impossible.

It's impossible to download definition or program updates via that method since the connection usually drops before the download completes.

Xircal

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 03:40:48 PM »

OK, thanks.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »

OK, thanks.

You're welcome..!