Author Topic: White listing  (Read 4168 times)

leeflea

White listing
« on: October 18, 2011, 09:11:54 PM »
Below are some instructions which I, as a newbie, just really don't understand
& I really need someone's knowledge. I know that in the email I received which I'll post below is mentioned 'whitelist'. Where on Avast do  find this? I know in the complete list are some codes which I was told to cut, copy, and paste in the 'whitelist'
Thank you for taking the time to read this and helping me.
I beg your pardon if I'm posting in the wrong place but this, at the time, seemed the best.
Leeflea
Tom Mercado, Oct-18 10:56 am (PDT):

This updating error issue is commonly fixed by one of two things:
1- Adding the Malwarebytes update URL to any type webfilter, ad blocking, identity theft protection, 'trusted sites'(in the security software, not in IE) options or similar to your firewall
data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

2- Adding the following Malwarebytes files listed in the link below to your currently installed antivirus\antispyware software exclusion lists or white listing options. (Section H-ignore AVG if you don't use it)
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10138&view=findpost&p=167851

Xircal

Re: White listing
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 03:45:33 PM »
Hi there,

Yes, it can be a bit confusing for a novice especially when the same terminology isn't used in Avast, but here's how to go about it.

• Launch Avast in the usual way and then click the link in the left hand menu called "Scan Computer".
  • Next, underneath the "Start button" on any menu which you normally use, click the link called "More details".
  • Next, click the blue link called "Settings"
  • In the next menu which appears, click the link called "Exclusions".
  • Copy/Paste the data Malwarebytes gave you (the "data-cdn.mbamupdates.com") into the field which appears. See screenshot of how it looks before you add the data and how it looks afterwards.
  • Click OK to exit.

This should force Avast to ignore any Malwarebytes updates which you download and install.

If the problem persists, you will also have to add the same data to your firewall. I can't advise you what to do on that score because there are so many different firewalls on the market and I don't know which one you're using.

Also, you may have to add the additional URLs Malwarebytes specified in the link you posted, to the Avast "Exclusions" menu. To do that, click the "Add" button where you previously added "data-cdn.mbamupdates.com". This will give you another field where you can copy/paste from the Malwarebytes site into the Exclusions menu.

If you're still not sure what to do, please say so and I'll try and assist you further.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: White listing
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 04:09:14 PM »
leeflea what version of avast ( free, pro ) and malwarebytes are you using ? the free versions require no exclusions whatsoever and the paid versions only require a few exclusions in avast file system shield exclusions and the MBAM ignore lists.