Author Topic: cnet (download dot com)  (Read 18250 times)

spg SCOTT

Re: cnet (download dot com)
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 08:54:05 PM »
This thread and the actions of sites like those mentioned are the reason that I will only use the original vendor's website to download software.

If I can't I will be looking for alternatives before going somewhere like these sites.

alpha1

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »
This thread and the actions of sites like those mentioned are the reason that I will only use the original vendor's website to download software.

If I can't I will be looking for alternatives before going somewhere like these sites.

i'm going to have to disagree scott,a well designed reliable download site is generally preferred to vendors' own sites;also,some vendors actually refer you to a dedicated download website.

alpha1

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 09:35:17 PM »
CNET became an ad sharing place... Do you want ads?, go for CNET...
Softpedia, at least, is more about downloading that watching ads...

as i mentioned,i dont download from cnet anymore,but i still visit it for reviews etc.

as for ads on the the site itself,they're no problem for me as i use abp in firefox.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »
i'm going to have to disagree scott,a well designed reliable download site is generally preferred to vendors' own sites;

And I disagree with you. ::)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

alpha1

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 11:18:32 PM »
asyn,where's/what's your argument?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 11:35:15 PM »

i'm going to have to disagree scott,a well designed reliable download site is generally preferred to vendors' own sites;also,some vendors actually refer you to a dedicated download website.

Well, it is just my own feelings.

I know that companies like avast prefer people to download from the download sites, because it is cheaper for them, and reduces the load on the servers. I can also understand this.

I just don't like them on principle, and my main problem is that the way they do the adverts...it is almost impossible find the download link amongst them all...

I think it takes less time for me to find the direct link for avast (I don't actually remember if it is listed on the website anymore) as opposed to somewhere else.

alpha1

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 12:08:33 AM »
I just don't like them on principle, and my main problem is that the way they do the adverts...it is almost impossible find the download link amongst them all...

I think it takes less time for me to find the direct link for avast (I don't actually remember if it is listed on the website anymore) as opposed to somewhere else.

seems like you haven't been using reputable download sites.

btw,what does spg stand for?

spg SCOTT

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 12:28:21 AM »
I haven't been to to any of them for a while...

It seems that they have toned it down a bit, still don't like it though.
(there used to be more ads: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55735.msg471264#msg471264)

The ad on the page is predominantly in the eye line when loading the page, so people see that, and see the word "download" and click it.
Also, looking at the download page, with the theme of the site, the download button looks more like an ad banner to me...making it more confusing...

I've simply gotten fed up of having to hunt for a download link in a page full of ads and buttons saying download.

spg is my initials.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:37:35 AM by spg SCOTT »

alpha1

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 01:53:06 AM »
scott,not to defend cnet but,ad banner in your picture clearly says: systweak regclean pro,besides,people accustomed to using the site know where actual download buttons are.

i do like how you put notes on pics though :D

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 03:34:18 AM »
I am "not" defending cnet but if you are a member you have the option of using a "direct download" link and not even bother with their installer. IOW if you click "avast" you can either download avast from cnet with their installer or choose to use the direct download option. The only problem I have found I can never find the direct download link.  ???

I'm like the others I use filehippo and softpedia. They might not be as flashy as cnet. I don't care about flash, I care about the download without the "installer". After all isn't the software more important than having a snazzy, flashy website.  ;D
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

alpha1

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 03:51:25 AM »
yes i agree paranoid,filehippo or softpedia indeed.

alpha1

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »
on october 23rd,cnet (download dot com) turns 15,http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-20121351-12/15-years-of-download.com-the-original-app-store/

its a shame to see what the site has come to after such success.  :'(

YoKenny

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »

well your lucky you live in north pole,you get better speeds than us here at south pole ;D
I live nowhere near the North Pole.

Maybe you need some penguins to keep you warm.

alpha1

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »

well your lucky you live in north pole,you get better speeds than us here at south pole ;D
I live nowhere near the North Pole.

Maybe you need some penguins to keep you warm.

whats with the penguin picture?
is it to clarify what a "penguin" is?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 05:25:14 PM »
@ YoKenny...cute. Self portrait?  ;D
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.