Author Topic: firefox or chrome?  (Read 26854 times)

eta carinae

Re: firefox or chrome?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 03:44:01 AM »
my browser has progressive got slower as I upgrade from 4.1 firefox to my last upgrade of 8.3 and today went back to 4.1 and now things are fast again as they wants were. dont know why things kept on getting slower as I have the same programs running in each version . Only use Chrome as a backup. :)

alpha1

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 03:49:09 AM »
my browser has progressive got slower as I upgrade from 4.1 firefox to my last upgrade of 8.3 and today went back to 4.1 and now things are fast again as they wants were. dont know why things kept on getting slower as I have the same programs running in each version . Only use Chrome as a backup. :)

try the latest firefox stable version 7.0.1,if you dont have many addons,try a clean install,should work fine.

alpha1

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 11:44:57 AM »
if anyone has any useful information on the subject,please post,any reliable figures,statistics,or substantiated facts are welcome.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »
Sorry Bob, but after going to an attack site which FF blocked I went to the same exact site using Chrome and Chrome never even blinked. The page loaded normally using Chrome. I trust Firefox more than Chrome. Just because it has the "Google" brand doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good thing. In my opinion.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 05:44:27 PM »
Sorry Bob, but after going to an attack site which FF blocked I went to the same exact site using Chrome and Chrome never even blinked. The page loaded normally using Chrome. I trust Firefox more than Chrome. Just because it has the "Google" brand doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good thing. In my opinion.  :)
That goes pretty much both ways. Browsers have always been a users choice. You use what you feel comfortable with. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Dch48

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 07:55:22 PM »
Sorry Bob, but after going to an attack site which FF blocked I went to the same exact site using Chrome and Chrome never even blinked. The page loaded normally using Chrome. I trust Firefox more than Chrome. Just because it has the "Google" brand doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good thing. In my opinion.  :)
It may not have "blinked" but it probably sandboxed things so they couldn't do any harm. Both Chrome and IE9 give very good security without having to cripple your browsing experience with things like NoScript. In their default installations, out of the box, with no addons, Firefox is the least secure of the three major browsers. Another thing is that Avast's Script Shield scans all scripts in IE9 but unfortunately not in Chrome, yet. I also feel the lack of (really just much less of a need for) configurability of IE is actually a big plus in it's favor.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:03:57 PM by Dch48 »

alpha1

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 08:10:44 PM »
It may not have "blinked" but it probably sandboxed things so they couldn't do any harm. Both Chrome and IE9 give very good security without having to cripple your browsing experience with things like NoScript. In their default installations, out of the box, with no addons, Firefox is the least secure of the three major browsers. Another thing is that Avast's Script Shield scans all scripts in IE9 but unfortunately not in Chrome, yet. I also feel the lack of (really just much less of a need for) configurability of IE is actually a big plus in it's favor.

1-chrome doesnt have a built-in sandbox.
2-both firefox's and chrome's security are probably better than IE,even without noscript,which many dont use anyway.
and firefox is probably more secure than chrome as well.
3-wow,lack of configurability in its favor?

Gargamel360

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »
1-chrome doesnt have a built-in sandbox.
I don't even use Chrome, but I'm pretty sure it sandboxes its plug-ins.
2-both firefox's and chrome's security are probably better than IE,even without noscript,which many dont use anyway.
and firefox is probably more secure than chrome as well.
Operative word>>Probably, meaning I suppose this is just a rough, pseudo-psychic feeling you have regarding browser security?  ;D   

alpha1

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 09:11:06 PM »
Operative word>>Probably, meaning I suppose this is just a rough, pseudo-psychic feeling you have regarding browser security?  ;D   

no gargamel,not purely a feeling but rather things i've read here and there,but nothing really conclusive or decisive,hence the term "probably".

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 09:23:49 PM »

no gargamel,not purely a feeling but rather things i've read here and there,but nothing really conclusive or decisive,hence the term "probably".
alpha1 i think you need to find some better reading material as IE9 is very secure, if your going to say something "probably" doesn't cut it, show the facts otherwise it doesn't take long for people to think your full of it.

alpha1

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 09:30:23 PM »
craig i would kindly ask you to tone down your phrasing a bit,it is rather harsh at times,thank you.

and i will try to provide references.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 09:38:58 PM »
craig i would kindly ask you to tone down your phrasing a bit,it is rather harsh at times,thank you.

I like to get to the point, no beating around the bush so to speak but i dont think anything i said was harsh just direct.

alpha1

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
I also feel the lack of (really just much less of a need for) configurability of IE is actually a big plus in it's favor.

"less of a need for configurability"?

has microsoft suddenly designed something perfect out of the box?

every browser needs to be as customizable and configurable (as flexible) as possible.

internet explorer lacks flexibility,in a huge way compared to firefox.

google is better than ie but still no match in this department,hands down.

alpha1

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »

I like to get to the point, no beating around the bush so to speak but i dont think anything i said was harsh just direct.

still,you could've phrased it differently.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 09:52:33 PM »

still,you could've phrased it differently.
Maybe! but then that wouldn't be me would it  ;D