Author Topic: firefox or chrome?  (Read 26821 times)

Dch48

Re: firefox or chrome?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2011, 09:59:32 PM »
1-chrome doesnt have a built-in sandbox.
It most  certainly does. This is a quote.
The toughest piece of that armor involves sandboxing. In Chrome, HTML rendering and JavaScript execution are isolated in their own class of processes. Running each tab in Chrome in a sandbox allows Web applications to be launched in their own browser windows without the ability to write or read files from sensitive areas. Plug-ins are run in separate processes that communicate with the renderer.  The technology is designed to prevent malware from persisting even if there is a flaw in the code that would lead to the Web browser being compromised.

"It's designed to prevent malware from getting installed on the system, from being able to start again when you close the browser and restart the computer; it's designed to help prevent malware from being able to read files on your file system.

Of course Chrome can still be exploited but first the malware authors need to write their stuff and then write another exploit to get it out of Chrome's sandbox.

When I say that IE's lack of configurability is a plus I mean that it doesn't need a bunch of extra things to make it work and be secure. The fact that FF does is a huge minus as far as I'm concerned. IE actually is highly configurable and all the options are built in. Out of the box it has more options than either FF or Chrome.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:04:35 PM by Dch48 »

alpha1

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »
craig i would kindly ask you to tone down your phrasing a bit,it is rather harsh at times,thank you.

and i will try to provide references.
I like to get to the point, no beating around the bush so to speak but i dont think anything i said was harsh just direct.

still,you could've phrased it differently.
Maybe! but then that wouldn't be me would it  ;D

i guess not.

alpha1

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2011, 10:04:35 PM »
1-chrome doesnt have a built-in sandbox.
It most  certainly does. This is a quote.
The toughest piece of that armor involves sandboxing. In Chrome, HTML rendering and JavaScript execution are isolated in their own class of processes. Running each tab in Chrome in a sandbox allows Web applications to be launched in their own browser windows without the ability to write or read files from sensitive areas. Plug-ins are run in separate processes that communicate with the renderer.  The technology is designed to prevent malware from persisting even if there is a flaw in the code that would lead to the Web browser being compromised.

"It's designed to prevent malware from getting installed on the system, from being able to start again when you close the browser and restart the computer; it's designed to help prevent malware from being able to read files on your file system.

Of course Chrome can still be exploited but first the malware authors need to write their stuff and then write another exploit to get it out of Chrome's sandbox.

i stand corrected,my bad.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »
which do you think is better,and why?
<snip>

I use Chrome on my home desktop, i prefer the UI of Chrome over anything else. At work i mostly use FF and sometimes IE 9. So i guess i am user of all 3. Like i said i prefer the Chrome UI but i have nothing against FF or IE 9, they are both excellent browsers. As far as security goes, i run all my browsers inside avast's sandbox, so not really concerned about security. For me it's mostly about the UI.

Gargamel360

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2011, 10:16:33 PM »
no gargamel,not purely a feeling but rather things i've read here and there,but nothing really conclusive or decisive,hence the term "probably".
Ok.  But something to consider regarding IE & "things you read here and there".  I used to be in the same boat as you, unwilling to even consider IE as an option.  That goes all the way back to Netscape, the first alternative Web browser I used (and loved), on up to 3.*** versions of Fx.  There was/is no shortage of people speaking out against IE.  Seemed like nobody liked it, for a plethora of apparently good reasons.  

But nagging doubts got to me after a time.  Left me with questions like "IE=many security holes, new ones discovered all the time, other browsers...not so much.  Why?  Because it is inherently less safe....or because nobody is looking?";  

"A large portion of IE's user base (no offense to any users here) are people who never look for another browser, they are technically/internet illiterate who only understand 'the blue E' is how they get to the Web, also, often these people fail to update Windows, how does this/should this not factor into its security stats?",

and "Alternative browser fans are 'loud' (so to speak) about their browsers, but with a large user base, no one speaks out for IE, why?"  (likely because many don't know what to say, where/when to say it)

Essexboy posted a link once to G2G forum where someone posted a more compelling pro-IE argument than I could ever articulate, but I've lost the link somewhere in the shuffle.  Anyway, a lot of anti-IE stuff comes from people repeating what they think is the gospel (thats a hint at your "probably" ;D) but all they end up doing is spreading FUD.  Granted, there are some areas where you can point to Fx/Chrome being better with security, i.e. A security update for Fx/Chrome will almost always get piped faster than IE's, as MS most often just waits till the monthly OS update cycle.

disclaimer: I still don't use IE....I've just moved past trying to ignore it and believing all the bad ;)

alpha1

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »
dear gargamel and others,i'll save my response (comeback) for later,maybe i'll provide some documentation as well.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2011, 05:31:42 AM »
dear gargamel and others,i'll save my response (comeback) for later,maybe i'll provide some documentation as well.
Why not just stop posting till it's something meaningful ???  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

alpha1

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2011, 12:18:24 PM »
Why not just stop posting till it's something meaningful ???  :)

just because you dont get it,doesnt mean its not meaningful.

YoKenny

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »
Why not just stop posting till it's something meaningful ???  :)

As you have no clue and have demonstrated poor knowledge of the subject I think you should retire back to Antarctica and leave the advice to more knowlegeable persons like bob3160 and Dch48

I like Rugby better than soccer:
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com
Wales18 - 21 Australia
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:23:41 PM by YoKenny »

alpha1

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2011, 02:31:22 PM »
yokenny,as i mentioned,i will provide some evidence,i'll collect data,do some research etc.

meanwhile,everyone is entitled to his/her opinion/preference,be it ie,chrome,or firefox users.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
Who cares, people choose their browser based on what best suits their needs and use of the internet. For me that happens to be firefox, now that isn't going to suit others but it doesn't mean it is worse or better than another browser as it is a very personal choice.

We aren't trying to justify our choice or say why it is better/best as they are very subjective and won't necessarily be better/best for everyone.

When you create a topic which essentially asks a very restricted question you are going to get restricted answers, which should either be firefox or chrome. When I first say this topic my thoughts were 'not another bl**dy browser topic,' the forums are littered with them and generally deteriorate into a mines better than yours.

I had intended in keeping out of this one but it is turning into death by a thousand cuts. This is my first and last comment in this topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
Why not just stop posting till it's something meaningful ???  :)

As you have no clue and have demonstrated poor knowledge of the subject I think you should retire back to Antarctica and leave the advice to more knowlegeable persons like bob3160 and Dch48

LOL

Dch48 is just repeating MS FUD he read somewhere without bothering to look at whether there's any evidence to support it.

And from your crappy spelling it's obvious you're missing out on one of the useful features of an alternative browser- a spell checker.

Here's some interesting reading for anybody who has bought the MS FUD:

I quote from the IE patch update (MS11-081), which apples to all currently supported versions of Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer and IE 6 as well: “The most severe vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if a user views a specially crafted Web page using Internet Explorer. An attacker who successfully exploited any of these vulnerabilities could gain the same user rights as the local user. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less impacted than users who operate with administrative user rights.”

Yes, that includes IE 9, the best and most up-to-date IE which is only available on Windows 7. Isn’t it funny how Microsoft claims that IE 9 is the most secure of its browser family, but somehow it has to have the same problems fixed that exist in IE 6, 7, and 8? Could it be that it’s really not that different after all from the rest of its historically insecure family?

If you go to Microsoft’s Web browser security “test” site, Your Browser Matters though, it will tell you that IE 9, with a score of four, is the most secure browser of all. Funny, it told me that it was the most secure both before and after the patch.

As for the other browsers, it informs me that Firefox 7.01 only rates a 2, and Chrome 14 gets a 2.5. And, this I might add, were my scores on my Mint Linux desktop!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/internet-explorer-is-the-safest-web-browser-ha/1546

> Apparently, if you test it on IE9 you get a perfect 4/4, but I haven't bothered to
> download IE9 yet.

No need; Firefox 3.6 with a spoofed IE9 user agent will also give you "4 out of 4" ;-)

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/jamies-mostly-linux-stuff-10006480/microsoft-on-browser-security-an-oxymoron-10024548/

LOL.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

spg SCOTT

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2011, 03:46:22 PM »
Yay...a browser war...as if there wasn't enough on the internet already...

Just use what you like to use and don't worry about anyone else...

alpha1

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »
another bl**dy browser topic

I had intended in keeping out of this one but it is turning into death by a thousand cuts.
i'm sorry you feel that way.

This is my first and last comment in this topic.
sorry to hear that,i hope you reconsider though.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2011, 04:36:17 PM »
This is my first and last comment in this topic.
sorry to hear that,i hope you reconsider though.

I doubt that. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0