Author Topic: firefox or chrome?  (Read 26808 times)

Gargamel360

Re: firefox or chrome?
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2011, 02:14:10 AM »
Yay, Ping-pong!  :P ::)

alpha1

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2011, 04:04:08 AM »
@ alpha1 
Why don't you give the country from where you hail? Is it because you lack pride in your country?
FYI avast can and does trace IP addresses. I say this because you obviously are not from Antarctica. Check the time on your profile page.  ;D

as i've stated before,i'm not from antarctica,however,i prefer not to declare where i live;as for timezones,check this link:   http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzstandard.php?listsw=antarctic&sorttb=CountryID&forma=12h  there's a 15 hour difference between the earliest and latest stations; so even if i was in antarctica,i could be in any of those timezones.

cheers.

alpha1

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2011, 06:34:50 AM »
as some of you may know,i've been under fire from some members,for not providing data,references,etc.
well,here it is:

as i found out after much deliberation and some research (site hopping),its not that simple.
there are many issues,considerations,variables,etc.,not to mention personal preference.
one such issue is direct version comparisons -i.e ff version x.x compared to chrome version x.x compared to IE version x- are not an option.
as you well know,matters like "rapid release cycle" policies adopted by google and recently mozilla,make direct version comparisons very difficult or impractical;of course i am talking about stable releases only,otherwise comparing betas,nightlies,auroras,devs,etc. is beyond reason.
for more clarification,the goal (reasonable) would be comparing IE 9 with an ff and a chrome counterpart,but what version of ff or chrome are counterparts for IE 9?
how many ff versions have been released (and will continue to be released) since the debut of IE 9? let alone chrome versions.

another problem is,unlike some of the other software categories,there doesnt seem to be any governing body or clear guidelines/standards for browser development,
or at the very least,some reliable,qualified,properly equipped,unbiased testing facilities;not to say that there is any shortage of browser examiners,rather
the qualification (i.e being fit to) and objectiveness of these testers are difficult to establish,and can be easily refuted or dismissed;thats of course if not
clearly identifiable as unqualified or biased.

nonetheless,i have reached the following conclusions:

1-prior to IE 9,internet explorer was simply incomparable to firefox and chrome.
2-all three major browsers (current stable releases) seem to be relatively close in terms of security and speed; not to disavow any unique strengths or weaknesses
any browser may have.
3-in terms of compatibility,IE 9 is only compatible with vista and windows 7,while chrome works on vista,7,xp,mac,linux,etc.,and ff works on pretty much everything.
4-in terms of customizability,configurability,flexibility,ff is undisputedly unparalleled,followed by chrome,and finally IE 9.
5-although this depends on many things and can differ greatly from user to user,os to os,browser to browser,unfortunately,it does seem that in general,ff consumes
more ram than the other two.

thank you for reading.

comments,info,constructive criticism welcome.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:04:15 AM by alpha1 »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2011, 08:09:46 AM »
A look at the current browser security situation, facts and FUD:

http://dontsurfinthenude.blogspot.com/2011/10/ive-written-before-about-browser.html
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2011, 08:11:55 AM »
Frank, don't get us started on the useless garbage known as Linux.

OK, I won't.

Your post is just more evidence that you're repeating FUD without really looking at the evidence.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

alpha1

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2011, 08:43:57 AM »
hi frank,the article on the page you provided was good,although not very comprehensive and could use more references and substantiation,but still appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:51:48 PM by alpha1 »

Dch48

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2011, 08:23:11 PM »
Also just one man's opinion. I still say that if you take the three major browsers in their out of the box default state, Chrome and IE9 are close in security but I give the edge to Microsoft's resources and their enhanced SmartScreen filtering. Firefox would definitely be last. Now, when you add in the fact that for Avast users, the script shield doesn't work yet in Chrome, I think that makes IE9 the obvious choice for us. Don't bring up NoScript in FF either since it has to be added and also because I refuse to use anything that cripples my browsing experience and acts like a HIPS application. Something which I also reject.

hlecter

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2011, 10:16:02 PM »
firefox or chrome?

Short answer: Firefox 3.6 and from yesterday Firefox 7 too on one XP machine FOR ME.

Longer answer:
Having only XP machines rules out IE9.
Opera started opening ports, and setting it up securely became
troublesome.
Last I checked, Chrome suffered from privacy concerns,
so not an option. I even block Google's session cookies when browsing.

Firefox suits my needs, I like it and all calling home is
easy to stop(if you know how).

HL