Author Topic: BUG!!!!  (Read 7852 times)

vlad01

BUG!!!!
« on: February 21, 2003, 06:05:00 PM »
I created a folder named "Test" and put there eicar.zip and eicarcom2.zip. Right click and choose "Scan Test"
The pop-up windows came with offers...about eicar.zip.. I pressed ok or delete and pop-up closed
What about another eicarcom2.zip?

So, if 2 different viruses in one folder the scanner found only one virus,
I need to scan again folder "Test" because I know two viruses there.
Why scanner(right click) cant completly scan all folder?

Pavel Baudis

Re:BUG!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 06:43:15 PM »
This is not a bug, this is a feature  :D

It is done by design: Quickscan stops on the first virus detected and let's user do his job after that... To scan the directory with more viruses use standard scan program.

Pavel

vlad01

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 07:19:08 PM »
I packed them by winzip.
now I have two viruses in test.zip
So its not directory anymore.
I checked by dr.web, he found 2

Desktop.zip - archive ZIP
>Desktop.zip/xp.com infected with EICAR Test File (NOT a Virus!)
>Desktop.zip/bug.com infected with EICAR Test File (NOT a Virus!)

Scan report for "Desktop.zip":
Scanned : 2/2 Cured : 0
Infected : 2/2 Deleted : 0
Modifications : 0/0 Renamed : 0
Suspicious : 0/0 Moved : 0
Scan time : 00:00:00 Scan speed : 1 Kb/s

At list someone know two viruses there.
Not like that, ok one virus there... cure him  and open archive and......
He he I got you

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2003, 10:13:56 AM »
vlad01,

as Pavel already said, the Quick scanner (that you're activating via the Explorer context menu) only runs until a first virus is found, and then it stops.

It was intended to be used just to make sure that there is no virus in a file/folder. If the Quick scanner finds a virus, it is recommended to start a scan of this folder using normal avast! interface (Simple or Enhanced) to detect all viruses and possibly take some further actions... ;)

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

vlad01

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 05:22:39 PM »
Not easy for me to figure out after using Norton, Mcafee Dr.web.
I would say take a time to learn all new Avast!futures
At least Avast! work perfect on my Win XP Home and I don't have a problem like memory eater Mcafee, suspicious to everything  Dr.Web and monster Norton

MrAlaska

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 08:15:06 AM »
vlad01,

as Pavel already said, the Quick scanner (that you're activating via the Explorer context menu) only runs until a first virus is found, and then it stops.

It was intended to be used just to make sure that there is no virus in a file/folder. If the Quick scanner finds a virus, it is recommended to start a scan of this folder using normal avast! interface (Simple or Enhanced) to detect all viruses and possibly take some further actions... ;)

Hope this helps,
Vlk

Reading this thread I can now see how such a feature is desireable, however it is a feature I did not see documented. Of course, if I would have actually READ the documentation it might have been different, but I still don't see it there. Actually, since 'help' is not available from the tray icon (unless I missed it, that happens sometimes) I didn't even know there WAS documentation until I went looking for it.

Your recomended way of using the quick scanner makes a ton of sense but it is not intuitive since most AVs seem to simpy pull up the regular client from the shell command. It would have saved me a search of the forum if I would have seen a short note on the scanner window when it notified me of the first virus found.

I really didn't need to make an additional comment here, but I thought it would be nice to get the word 'shell' in this thread because my first search of the forum did not yield any results. I ended up having to search for 'right click'. I did not have enough imagination to search for 'local context menu' or 'Explorer' or even 'ashQuick'. I highly doubt if anybody of my peculiararities will ever come hunting, but it will come in handy if I forget about this feature and need to come searching again next time I discover this bug. I hate it when I post erroneous bug reports.

Logd

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 03:49:14 PM »
How about changing the quick scan feature to work like following:

1. It checks if there is any viruses in the folder and subfolders. It does not stop if a virus is found, instead it will scan the folders and files through.

2. Quick scan lists number of folders and files that had been scanned. Then it also reports how many infected files had been found, and if possible, also what virus(es) had been found.

3. After the quick scan is completed, if viruses had been found, the quick scanner recommends running the full A-V scanner. It also has a button which is coded to launch full A-V scanner. At this point user should be able to choose whether he/she wants to run A-V scan to the same folder that was quick scanned or a full system scan.

Before reading this thread, I also thought that the quick scan is also able to disinfect or delete all viruses in one pass, instead of stopping if one is found.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2003, 03:54:02 PM by Logd »