Author Topic: Help! I don't know what this is...  (Read 2021 times)

docfnt

Help! I don't know what this is...
« on: October 21, 2011, 06:00:52 AM »
Several months ago, I got a virus in my programming computer. The virus never showed u[ in any scans, Avast, Malwarebytes, HijackThis, ... none of them.
I had saved my Visual Basic files and programs thinking it was safe, but every time I reformat and put those files and programs back in, the virus returns.
For starters, the virus will keep the computer from being able to shut down. The only two ways to shut it down are to literally unplug the computer, or to hold the power button until the computer shuts down.
Next, it will not let me enter safe mode to run a scan from there. All the "gobblyGook" runs fast downward across the screen, but Safe Mode never starts. At the end of the "GobblyGook" trail, the computer just stops. The last lines of the crap stay on the screen, and again I am forced to either pull the plug, or push the button to restart the computer.
This virus will eventually Try to force me to perform a "CheckDisc" scan at start up. If I do this, it will start creating duplicate files until the hard drive is completely full, and cannot run. I can prevent this by "Clicking any Key", but at the next shut down/Restart I will get the blue screen of death.

Blue Screen warning:

"Checking the file system on C
File type is NTFS
One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.
You may cancel the disk check if you wish, but it is strongly recommended that you continue...
To skip the disk check, press any key in the next (countdown) seconds"

Pressing a key will stop the Disk Check, but then the disk completely loads before the intro music starts.
( It's usually the other way around )

I can run any type of anti virus / malware scans that I have, but none of them will yield a result other than "No infections were found"
This is "Modus Operandi" for this virus. If I allow the Check Disk" scan to run, everything on the hard drive will be lost!

Occasionally, a message will pop up about a file corrupted in the registry, but I can't trick it into showing itself right now.

I am writing this post on the only computer I have that runs Linus Mint, because the virus cannot effect this one.

I don't have a clue what this is, or how to locate and destroy it, but I don't want to lose 3 years of programming learning due to this "problem" (Can't print what I really mean)

I need to find a way to locate and destroy it. Any Ideas????????????????

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Help! I don't know what this is...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 06:52:34 AM »
follow the guide here and attach the logs, then Essexboy will have a look when he arrive her later today. Usually around 08:00pm - 11:59pm UK time

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0