Author Topic: Juniper SA2500 doesnt recognize newest Avast software  (Read 35911 times)

wpn

Juniper SA2500 doesnt recognize newest Avast software
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:16:19 PM »
edit: AVAST client POSSIBLY blocks JUNIPER NETWERK CONNECT  renamed to Juniper SA2500 doesnt recognize newest Avast software

Yesterday i was deploying the new clients to laptops we use in the company.

The laptops are used on units that we have which basicly dont come back to the office to hook up on the network.
Therefor we make use of the JUNIPER SA 2500 SSL VPN connection.
It works like this:

We have a website for the employees and units to login to. If they make use of a token (which the units do) then you get several options that we publish. One of hte options is NETWORK CONNECT (the name that Juniper gives to VPN)

The SA 2500 installs via activex and java several files to check if hte computer validates to our demands. One of the demands is that the laptop is part of our domain. When this is the case the NETWORK CONNECT option becomes available after login.

I have installed the SBC client on the laptop and i dont see the NETWORK CONNECT.

So i started testing on a VM because i thought at first it was the java version.
This is my testing trajectory:
- installed a completely clean Win7 32bit with all the updates in the company
- installed java 6 update 26
- the 4.8 client gets installed automatically, so the sbc is an upgrade of 4.8 at deployment
- no other software installed
- make a snapshot of the machine is this "clean" state

then i tested the JUNIPER SA login.
result:  VPN CONNECT available

then i reverted my snapshot
- installed the sbc client with all the shields that are standard in  default group
result:  NO VPN CONNECT available

then i reverted my snapshot
- configured all the shields except file shield in the default group to be turned off
- installed the sbc client
result:  NO VPN CONNECT available

Right now im installed a clean machine again, but i will not have 4.8 installed.
then i will deploy sbc clean and test the NETWORK CONNECT

Although i have little hope that a clean install of SBC is the sollution, i will try.

I guess tho that a part of the juniper software is blocked, so please check this out.

the SBC and client are on the latest released versions
all client machines:  win7 32bit  using IE9
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:47:57 PM by wpn »

wpn

Re: AVAST client blocks JUNIPER NETWERK CONNECT
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:12:43 PM »
another angle which i will investigate monday:

juniper checks if AV is up to date (possibly also which av is used)

Ill see monday for more
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:12:42 PM by wpn »

davlar

Re: AVAST client POSSIBLY blocks JUNIPER NETWERK CONNECT
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »
Have the same problem since have purchase and Install Avast 4.8 (managed).

Have open support request 6 month ago, but Avast is too busy to cash my check that solved that problem.

I called Juniper (I'm not even client) and I work with them on this issue.

But now, all our tests confirm that the problem is due to AVAST.

Currently my solution that i  found works 1/5. I generate a setup file (MSI file) and I use Avast to install locally on the PC with the user's account.
On Juniper Side the admin need to activate a check box to bypass client error.

With this... My users can work 30 minutes before to be kicked out.

David

wpn

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 01:46:48 AM »
well my clients with the 4.8 client have no problem at all with this
it gets validated perfectly

so either its in the up-to-date notification detection or the avast name that gets detected....   i do not believe anymore that the avast client is blocking things, i believe juniper has validation issues

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 07:35:17 PM »
Hi, are you deploying SBC client with avast! Firewall? Or is this problem not related to avast! firewall config?

wpn

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
hey
sorry for not updating anymore

i am deploying without the firewall, BUT

Previously i wasnt responsible for managing the network part that deep, now i am so im still figuring out how some of the devices work.

The hostchecker software from the Juniper SA2500 has been configured to check WHICH anti-virus software is installed, not if windows is reporting if the AV is still up to date or working properly. So truly only the name is checked.
I have found the list of AV products that the hostcheckers checks for, and there is an Avast 5.x line in there, it is not the 6.x or business client

so right now im figuring out how to edit that list and which string is reported by avast as the installed package so that the hostchecker recognizes it.

I found this out by my vm deployment testing mentioned above when a completely configure domain machine (with av 4.8) past the test and the exact same machine but without 4.8 or with the new sbc client didnt pas the test i saw that hte host check failed (in a split second it showed it)

So in this case i jumped to conclusion too early, but on the other hand it is good to know this for your technical support to have a possible reason with this kind of problems with other customers :)

wpn

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 01:46:48 PM »
i investigated more

I have to update the list that the SA2500 appliance can recognise. Unfortunately i cant do this manually, i have to download some software from Juniper site for this.
BUT, i am afraid that definition file does not contain the latest namings of the Avast company or the product.
I believe the technique used by the SA2500 comes from OPSWAT.

I went to their site and they offer a free appremover tool, so i used that tool to see if i could remove the avast! Business Plus software, unfortunately the appremover does not recognize the NEWEST avast software.
I reported this to the company, but i have to conclude that because the appremover (fresh downloaded) doesnt recognise the newest avast software, an updated definition file for the SA2500 will still not recognise the installed antivirus and thus fail the hostcheck and thus wont allow connections, the only temp sollution would be disabling the av check which means im opening my network for potential mass infections.

Is there contact between Avast and OPSWAT by any chance?

wpn

Re: Juniper SA2500 doesnt recognize newest Avast software
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »
The list used by the SA2500 (and others devices from the SA serie) use the OPSWAT list to identify the antivirus.
This list is updated once a month and of course with my luck this update happened 3 days ago and there is no new avast (avast! Business Protection Plus) in the supported list

therefor i opened a support case at Juniper to put the new naming from the avast software and the company name too.

wpn

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 11:03:14 PM »
In the last 2 days i have exchanged about 10 emails with questions and answers (both sides) now it is escalated to a third or forth line engineer to see how to add the new avast name to the list.
I used a diagnostic tool they send me that gather details but that tool didnt recognize the new avast client by more than the name (therefor its escalated to the high level engineer now).

I suggested that instead of depending on me for their diagnostics, they should contact Avast and get prime intel on this.

If the engineer asks eventually if i have a contact person at Avast for him, is it possible i refer him to someone?

wpn

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 11:41:21 PM »
they are working hard on it:

11/07/11 10:38:49 Greetings Wim,

I am in the process of filing a bug with the engineering team to add the support for this product. I will keep you posted as there is a progress.

---------------------------------------------------
Regards,

its in the pipeline still

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 11:51:10 AM »
Hi wpn,

in the meantime we were able gain access to and do some tests with one of the Juniper boxes. The VPN connect with Avast was blocked immediately by the Juniper host checker, so the VPN connection was not even started.

Although here (http://forums.juniper.net/t5/SSL-VPN/Avast-6-Anyone-know-when-it-will-be-supported/m-p/81004#M10630) that they state, that starting from ESAP 1.7.1 (released in April 2011) Avast6 should be supported, but I guess its only bound to every specific version / build.

I guess the best person to address for the diagnostics required from Juniper (if needed from your bug ticket) would be our Q/A manager Lukas Hasik (hasik (at) avast.com) but of course you can mail any one here (e.g. me) and I'll forward to whom it concerns.

Thanks.
LukasR.

Edit: some minor wording changes.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 01:18:25 PM by lukor »

wpn

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 02:00:15 PM »
Hi Lukas
thanks for your information.

Im running ESAP 1.8.0 in the complete list there is no avast 6 (any version) as supported AV.

Juniper has classified this as a bug and its run up to a third line engineer i believe.
On my question when this is resolved i received the answer that they are expecting the support for this now maybe in the release of end of December.

Tomorow i will add another reply to my ticket with the info you gave me, maybe they can hurry it up. I dont like to tell my management that i have to wait for at least another one and a half month for MAYBE support.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 05:02:07 PM »
Hi wpn,

I have just checked it with the collegue who has tried to run Avast with Juniper for you. They were succefull in configuring Juniper SA2500 + ESAP 1.7.6 to work with avast. The security template for Host checker can be edited manually and maybe you have to do some tweaks at your side. Tomorrow we'll have the XML files with the running configuration available, so we can post it here for you to compare with your setup.

Lukas.

wpn

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 07:17:11 PM »
i would like to see that :)

if i can make it work before Thursday, management will be happily surprised and impressed :D

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »
Hi wpn,
I still don't have the packages / examples for you. We were trying to obtain the ESAP 1.8 for reference today via the official Juniper support, but since we currently don't have a support contract with them they didn't agree to cooperate with us. There are still other ways, so please wait for more info.

Lukas.