Author Topic: Resolved: Can malware disable Avast 6 free antivirus edition  (Read 8269 times)

alpha1

Re: Can malware disable Avast 6 free antivirus edition
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 09:05:29 PM »
Strange how the test report says it was done this month ( october ) but the tested version of Avast is 5 and MSE 1  ???

maybe its february 10th,rather than october 2nd?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Can malware disable Avast 6 free antivirus edition
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 09:11:17 PM »
Strange how the test report says it was done this month ( october ) but the tested version of Avast is 5 and MSE 1  ???

They still would have been old versions even if it were Febuary.

Diddy

Resolved: Re: Can malware disable Avast 6 free antivirus edition
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Resolved: Can malware disable Avast 6 free antivirus edition
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 01:55:26 AM »
i'm still waiting for yokenny's comments.  ;D
He's much harder to convince ;D
The best things in life are free.

f3promo

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 02:26:27 AM »
Hi!

In the midst of a nasty experience (37 applications infected by 3 malwares, only 3 days ago), I praise Avast for its capacity to resist.
- AVG 10 recognised the threats, but... 3 of its essential applications got infected and sent to vault in the process;
- Spybot was obviously mistaken (Backdoor trojan in combination with "Win 32" viruses);
- Malwarebyte collapsed;
- the Iobit ASC malware search application got infected;
- Avast is operational so soon after booting that it neutralised 2 major pests invading up to the various rescue and recovery points, as well as the update services applications ("Win32:Malware-gen", alias "BackDoor.Generic14.AVBQ").
It then prompted a request for a scan in DOS while rebooting, wich gave me a clear indication and the possibility of a partial purge, until that particular programme collapsed as well.
All I have to do is reinstall Avast again and again, to chase the beasts and understand their bad manners.
An excellent tool indeed, but it would indeed be so useful, if its DOS application could hold on an external booting device!

Sparxx

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 11:34:24 AM »
Hi!

In the midst of a nasty experience (37 applications infected by 3 malwares, only 3 days ago), I praise Avast for its capacity to resist.
- AVG 10 recognised the threats, but... 3 of its essential applications got infected and sent to vault in the process;
- Spybot was obviously mistaken (Backdoor trojan in combination with "Win 32" viruses);
- Malwarebyte collapsed;
- the Iobit ASC malware search application got infected;
- Avast is operational so soon after booting that it neutralised 2 major pests invading up to the various rescue and recovery points, as well as the update services applications ("Win32:Malware-gen", alias "BackDoor.Generic14.AVBQ").
It then prompted a request for a scan in DOS while rebooting, wich gave me a clear indication and the possibility of a partial purge, until that particular programme collapsed as well.
All I have to do is reinstall Avast again and again, to chase the beasts and understand their bad manners.
An excellent tool indeed, but it would indeed be so useful, if its DOS application could hold on an external booting device!

Try to install avast and immediately after the installation update it and schedule a boot time scan(it works for me on every infected machine i repaired), and reboot  ;D.
Usually this method works like a charm, and avast catches those nasty pieces of malware  ;D

f3promo

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 02:23:36 PM »
Thanks, Sparxx!

I shall uninstall/reinstall avast to try it again, for the sake of having a clearer picture of the situation as it stands.
But it seems to me that, to do so, I have better let the scan go on without any removal attempt; the avast scan on booting seems most efficient as far as identifying the threats and putting the associated virus to quarantine (Win32:Patched-WQ [Trj] and Win32:Tiny-AMB [Rtk]), but crashed when prompted to do so with the Backdoor.
When running on Windows, Avast proved a perfect watch-dog so far, blocking that Backdoor trojan at first move (Win32:Malware-gen, the most vicious one within the cocktail affecting my system).