Author Topic: Avast found an infected file and can't delete it!  (Read 14766 times)

trobeech3

Avast found an infected file and can't delete it!
« on: October 22, 2011, 11:11:44 AM »
Avast popped up saying a suspicious file has been detected & so I ran a scan and then looked at the RealTime Shield. When i clicked on Shield Log, it said the virus was found here:

C:\ Program Files (x86) \ TOSHIBA Games \ Chuzzle Deluxe \ Chuzzle Deluxe-WT.exe|>[Emul]

It said that the action was to delete it and then under result, it said "Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)"

The threat said that it was Win32:BlogEnt [Susp]

What should i do to get rid of this?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast found an infected file and can't delete it!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:23:37 AM »
C:\ Program Files (x86) \ TOSHIBA Games \ Chuzzle Deluxe \ Chuzzle Deluxe-WT.exe

upload suspicious file(s) to www.virustotal.com and test with 43 malware scanners
when you have the result, copy the url in the address bar and post it here for us to see

alternative
Jotti     http://virusscan.jotti.org/en
VirSCAN   http://virscan.org/
Metascan   http://www.metascan-online.com/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
The detections you found may not work in the same way on VT, hence no detections at all even from avast.

The [Emul] emulation and [Susp] suspicious, detection types are heuristic, behavioural based detections and I don't know if VT can do those tests or not, in any case toy should submit to avast for analysis as a possible false positive.

Send the sample to avast as a False Positive:
Open the chest and right click on the file and select 'Submit to virus lab...' complete the form and submit, the file will be uploaded during the next update. A link to this topic wouldn't hurt.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

trobeech3

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »
What will sending it to the virus lab do?

Just so you know, after I posted the link to virus total, I scanned with Avast again, but using the scan folder feature and scanned that exact folder. When the scan was done, it said a threat was detected and then it showed me the results and I was able to move it to the virus chest then. Did that help my problem? Because I ran the scan again on the folder and then it said no threat was found.

After I moved it to the virus chest, I was away from my computer for a while and when I came back, it had restarted. Then a window popped up saying Windows recovered from an unexpected shutdown. Did this have anything to do with the supposed virus?

Also, just so you know, I have experienced an internet explorer pop up every once and a while about some survey, and when i searched about the survey online, others said that that was adware. Did that have anything to do with this virus?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just a bit confused. ;)

And also, when I sent it to the virus lab, nothing happened. I right clicked on the file in the virus chest, clicked submit to virus lab, and nothing happened. No windows popped up or anything. Should anything happen?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »
Have it analysed and if found to be a false positive, the signature can be updated so it isn't detected. This then helps all avast users that might have this installed.

I don't believe this is directly connected to this detection.

Without more detailed info on the Explorer pop-up we can't really say (screenshot of the pop-up window). If you aren't using a pop-up/ad blocker in IE you should consider it.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

trobeech3

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 05:48:46 PM »
okay, but when i click submit to virus lab, nothing happens. how do i have it analyzed?

and i havent had it happen to me for a while, but if it does, ill take a screenshot. thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 06:14:06 PM »
Does it not even open a window for you to complete any details ?

trobeech3

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 06:40:14 PM »
No, it doesn't.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 07:01:56 PM »
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have installed (firewall, anti-spyware, etc.) ?

trobeech3

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 07:11:44 PM »
The only other thing I have is Malware Bytes. The whole time I've had this computer, I've had avast.

My windows firewall is on, if that's what you mean.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »
Well MBAM (even the Pro version) shouldn't get in the way as I don't have any issue with it.

The windows firewall (shouldn't be an issue, the XP one has Zero outbound checking and the Vista, win7 firewalls have outbound protection, but it is disabled by default.

You didn't answer the question about other AVs on this system ???

Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.

trobeech3

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 07:40:52 PM »
i dont have any other antivirus programs on my system, just avast & ive never had any others.

i'll try the repair, thanks.

trobeech3

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »
i repaired avast and rebooted, but still, nothing will happen when i click send to virus lab.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 07:58:56 PM »
i repaired avast and rebooted, but still, nothing will happen when i click send to virus lab.

It should be sent while the next VPS update.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0