Author Topic: Uninstalling preinstalled WildTangent Games gives sandbox alert  (Read 18911 times)

Hubbaman

Uninstalling preinstalled WildTangent Games gives sandbox alert
« on: October 22, 2011, 09:47:43 PM »
Hi,
I have just bought a new Toshiba Satellite C670D-101 laptop. The computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. It came with lots of unwanted software preinstalled, so the first thing I did (after installing Avast, of course!) was to start removing what I didn't want. There is something called WildTangent Games that triggers a sandbox alert when I try to click remove program in Control Panel.

First, Avast gives a sandbox warning about this file:
C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA Games\uninstall.exe

I tried running the program in sandbox, but I guess software cannot be uninstalled from the sandbox? Anyway, it didn't work. So I tried running the file normally.

Then the same thing with this file:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\~nsu.tmp\Au_.exe

After allowing both the programs to run normally, the uninstall process seems to be going fine. However, an error occurs at the end, and One of the the WildTangent Games seems to be left unchanged. (I first got a list of about 10-15 games where I could choose which to remove. I selected all of them, but "Diner Dash 2 Restaurant Rescue" stays behind, even after several attempts.)

Do I need to worry about this?

iyogisolutions1

Re: Uninstalling preinstalled WildTangent Games gives sandbox alert
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 10:14:58 PM »
Hi,

No need to worry about them. They are from the vendor itself. So they can be trusted.

Have a wonderful day. Good Karma!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »
upload suspicious file(s) to www.virustotal.com and test with 43 malware scanners
when you have the result, copy the url in the address bar and post it here for us to see

alternative
Jotti     http://virusscan.jotti.org/en
VirSCAN   http://virscan.org/
Metascan   http://www.metascan-online.com/

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 10:18:48 PM »
it may be related to this...also a Thosiba game detect ?

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=87097.0

Hubbaman

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 11:09:36 PM »
it may be related to this...also a Thosiba game detect ?

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=87097.0

Thank you for that link. Interesting, from the first post:
The threat said that it was Win32:BlogEnt [Susp]

I forgot to mention that: When I first installed Avast after setting up the computer and ran a complete scan, it found one file that it recommended to move to the chest. That file was Win32:BogEnt. (Not Win32:BlogEnt [Susp], but could this perhaps be a spelling error in that post?)

Looking at that item in the chest now, I see that it was located in C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA Games\Diner Dash 2 Restaurant Rescue, so I guess that explains why I couldn't uninstall that one game.

Do you think it is safe to restore the file from the chest in order to uninstall the unwanted software? Or perhaps uninstalling won't work properly because I have tried it before without the file present, and that may have corrupted something?

I uploaded both the files to virustotal.com, no infections found. Here are the links:

Report for uninstall.exe:
http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=2c223c391d4ddc2a10a2a238bacca873e6b6121443c0ae3a6cac5e4ac8771e32-1319316453

Report for Au_.exe:
http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=2c223c391d4ddc2a10a2a238bacca873e6b6121443c0ae3a6cac5e4ac8771e32-1319316991

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 11:28:56 PM »
I dont think Thosiba would install malware on the comp

you can report false positive here 
http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php?loadStyles

you may add a link to this topic

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 11:54:17 PM »
I get the same thing on my Dell. It ain't hurting anything so I'm not concerned. I have plenty of HDD space so there is no issue there. With Wind Tangent pre-installed all it does is open my browser to the Wild Tangent website or a "window" opens. I fail to see where this would be any problem.  :)

I agree with Pondus as neither Toshiba nor Dell would install malware or spyware.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Hubbaman

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 12:26:39 AM »
Thank you guys.

By the way, the uninstall still fails after restoring the file from the chest, I don't know why. I might do a complete reset of the laptop and try uninstalling the software again then. Why? Well, I like my computers to be as "clean" as possible. It just annoys me that it is so difficult to simply buy a new computer without all the "extras".

alpha1

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 12:43:52 AM »
I get the same thing on my Dell. It ain't hurting anything so I'm not concerned. I have plenty of HDD space so there is no issue there. With Wind Tangent pre-installed all it does is open my browser to the Wild Tangent website or a "window" opens. I fail to see where this would be any problem.  :)

i'm afraid you fail to see a lot of things  ;D ,this might not be a problem for you,but to many,it is.

cheers

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 01:47:16 AM »

i'm afraid you fail to see a lot of things  ;D ,this might not be a problem for you,but to many,it is.

cheers
If something is causing no harm, what's the problem. I like a clean machine.
Besides Wild Tangent shows up with no kb or mb on my hard drive therefore I seriously doubt that it can be uninstalled. Yes, I checked the "uninstall" section on the Control Panel and it cannot be uninstalled.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

alpha1

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 01:57:02 AM »
paranoid,it might not be causing actual harm or damage(corrupting files etc.)but,as you said,opening browser windows randomly or going to specific sites,is a major annoyance to a lot of people,i know it would bother me immensely.

note: just because it's not showing any size on disk,doesnt mean it isnt occupying any space,as everything occupies space.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 02:05:55 AM »
Hi Hubbaman,

If you really want to remove that software, you can use the Revo Uninstaller.
   Download and run the free trial from http://www.revouninstaller.com/
   Make sure that you uninstall Revo too.

Hope you are happy with us today. Have a wonderful day.. Good Karma!

alpha1

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 02:08:49 AM »
Hi Hubbaman,

If you really want to remove that software, you can use the Revo Uninstaller.
   Download and run the free trial from http://www.revouninstaller.com/
   Make sure that you uninstall Revo too.

revo (and others) usually cant uninstall programs that cant be uninstalled regularly.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 02:12:54 AM »
It does "not" matter how you try to uninstall Wild Tangent avast will always recommend opening in the sandbox. It is causing absolutely no harm...so why worry about it?  ???   It is "not" taking any "real" room on your machine.  ???

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 02:22:32 AM »
Hi alpha1

If we are unable to remove a software from add or remove programs utility in Windows, the reason can be due to the corruption of any of the .msi or .dll files related to that software. Yes of-course Revo will do the same thing at first hand and will give the same popup or error message as before. But in Revo we have an additional option to scan all the files and registry entries related with the software in Advanced Mode and remove them. So it will work.

Have a wonderful day. Good k@rma! :)