Author Topic: Uninstalling preinstalled WildTangent Games gives sandbox alert  (Read 18915 times)

alpha1

Re: Uninstalling preinstalled WildTangent Games gives sandbox alert
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 02:28:20 AM »
hi iyogi,ok,fair enough.   :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 02:32:44 AM »
Hi alpha1

If we are unable to remove a software from add or remove programs utility in Windows, the reason can be due to the corruption of any of the .msi or .dll files related to that software. Yes of-course Revo will do the same thing at first hand and will give the same popup or error message as before. But in Revo we have an additional option to scan all the files and registry entries related with the software in Advanced Mode and remove them. So it will work.

Have a wonderful day. Good k@rma! :)
By using Revo in the manner you describe you could really screw up someones registry. I'm not willing to take that risk. I like my computer too much to take that kind of risk. The way I see it as far as Wild Tangent goes "no harm, no foul".  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 03:08:54 AM »
Using any generic Uninstaller like Revo can result in removing common dll files used by
various programs  and worse.
Usually you don't find what harm using such an uninstaller has caused until some time in the
future when you attempt to run a program that depended on the file that Revo removed.
Your lucky if the only thing you need to run that program again is a simple re-install.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 03:09:55 AM »
Isn't the Advanced Mode only in the Revo Pro paid option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 03:19:13 AM »
By the way, the uninstall still fails after restoring the file from the chest, I don't know why. I might do a complete reset of the laptop and try uninstalling the software again then. Why? Well, I like my computers to be as "clean" as possible. It just annoys me that it is so difficult to simply buy a new computer without all the "extras".

@Hubbaman,

If you have no data in your system yet, the "factory default" is the faster and cleaner option you have.

After that "factory default", you should uninstall anything that you don't want. Use the "Add/Remove Programs" applet in Control Panel, and PLEASE reboot each time you uninstall something (instead of uninstalling "everything" and only then rebooting).

Please check your system for "factory" security tools. If you have some trial or alike of some security tool, it is VERY advisable to run also the specific removal utility after uninstallting (of course, IF you decide to uninstall it).

A partial list of removal utilities is listed at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/. Please run the removal tools from Windows Safe Mode, and reboot in  between each run of any removal utility.

ONLY after you removed all the "extras", and specially after removing any other security tools, *then* install Avast (and reboot immediately after installing, before configuring or updating). This should avoid most conflicts between Avast and other security tools "preinstalled".

Please report back.

alpha1

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 03:25:04 AM »
Isn't the Advanced Mode only in the Revo Pro paid option.

its supposed to have extended scanning for leftovers and some other stuff (compared to free version). but you can get free trial.

is there any truth to the possibility of damage caused by uninstallers like revo?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 03:27:37 AM »
By the way, the uninstall still fails after restoring the file from the chest, I don't know why. I might do a complete reset of the laptop and try uninstalling the software again then. Why? Well, I like my computers to be as "clean" as possible. It just annoys me that it is so difficult to simply buy a new computer without all the "extras".

@Hubbaman,

If you have no data in your system yet, the "factory default" is the faster and cleaner option you have.

After that "factory default", you should uninstall anything that you don't want. Use the "Add/Remove Programs" applet in Control Panel, and PLEASE reboot each time you uninstall something (instead of uninstalling "everything" and only then rebooting).

Please check your system for "factory" security tools. If you have some trial or alike of some security tool, it is VERY advisable to run also the specific removal utility after uninstallting (of course, IF you decide to uninstall it).

A partial list of removal utilities is listed at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/. Please run the removal tools from Windows Safe Mode, and reboot in  between each run of any removal utility.

ONLY after you removed all the "extras", and specially after removing any other security tools, *then* install Avast (and reboot immediately after installing, before configuring or updating). This should avoid most conflicts between Avast and other security tools "preinstalled".

Please report back.
This has already been discussed.
Start reading from  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=87114.msg700658#msg700658
Other security software is not part of this thread. And he has avast installed on his machine.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 03:29:23 AM »

is there any truth to the possibility of damage caused by uninstallers like revo?
[/quote]
Yes!  :)

alpha1

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 03:31:50 AM »
how much truth?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 03:43:10 AM »
how much truth?
In the past other users have found that Revo is inferior to other uninstallers. Many of us use CCleaner as there is little if any chance that something could go wrong. May I be so bold to suggest that you give it a try.  :)

edit Please see Bob's reply #17
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:46:37 AM by Para-Noid »

ady4um

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 04:06:34 AM »
This has already been discussed.
Start reading from  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=87114.msg700658#msg700658
Other security software is not part of this thread. And he has avast installed on his machine.  :)

Yes, he has Avast already. So? I'm trying to give an actual suggestion and steps, ON topic.

What's the point of discussing alternative methods and likings? Hubbaman presented a valid question. Most of the other posts are not really answering anything. If anyone wants to chat about pros and cons of anything else, you are free to do it... But wouldn't be better to do it in a relevant separated topic instead of this specific one?

All those discussions may be valid, but are not going to clarify nor really solve the problem Hubbaman has. The discussions might help other users. Let's try to focus on Hubbaman's problem and the methods he is able to perform so to solve his doubts.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 07:38:01 AM »
Hubbaman a simple tool to remove these preinstalled software trials like wild tangent is PC Decrapifier http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/other-software/pre-installed-software/ usually it is best to run this tool on a fresh system that has been reformated to factory.

Xircal

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »
Follow instructions on the WildTangent site @ http://wildtangent.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88/session/L3RpbWUvMTMxOTM2MjgyOS9zaWQvVUNqNHlnSGs=

If that fails, log in to your system as Adminstrator and then delete it via Add/Remove Programs.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 12:10:18 AM »

If that fails, log in to your system as Adminstrator and then delete it via Add/Remove Programs.
This has already been discussed.  :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 12:13:41 AM »
as you said,opening browser windows randomly or going to specific sites,is a major annoyance to a lot of people,i know it would bother me immensely.

How can this be random as the only way this will happen is if the user intentionally clicks on the icon.
If it's an annoyance don't click on it.  :)