Author Topic: Avast blocked website but still lets me in to it  (Read 3452 times)

jo01

Avast blocked website but still lets me in to it
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »
hi - i'm a relatively new Avast user, so this may be a basic question.  I clicked on a web address today and a big red box appeared at the bottom right hand of my screen saying Avast blocked a potentially malicious site.  This is great, however, this didn't actually block me from going into the site.  i was in the 'malicious' site already when the pop-up came up.  Did Avast actually block anything?  or did it fail from blocking it despite the warning assuring me that it did its job?

thanks!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast blocked website but still lets me in to it
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 08:21:20 PM »
More info please.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »
Sounds like avast stopped you from being redirected to a malicious site to me, if it said it's blocked it then that more than likely what its done but to be sure run a full scan with avast and malwarebytes.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 08:31:56 PM »
The site may have an external link to a malicious site and avast may have been blocking that, so the rest of the existing site could load.

However this is speculation as you haven't provided much information.

A screenshot copy of alert window (right click on the avast tray icon, select 'Shoe last popup message.' Or if you are pressed to capture a screenshot of the alert, copy what information and post it. Change the URL from http to hXXp to break active links.

Was the site shown in the alert window the same as the site you were visiting ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jo01

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 05:02:53 PM »
thanks for the replies.  apologies for not providing enough information - i am a novice with all these issues and didn't know what else to provide.

i ran a full malwarebytes scan, it found nothing.  i will now run a full avast scan.

as for the screenshot - unfortunately i can't access that warning popup message since i've had an 'avast has been updated' popup since then (i rebooted computer).  the only thing i can find is in my scan logs it tells me what the website was and that it was blocked.

i'm not sure what i can do about it now - i will run avast full scan - if there's anything else to do would appreciate any further advice! 
thanks for helping this 'newbie' out!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 05:12:32 PM »
The main thing is that avast blocked it, which is why you didn't find anything on the scans you have run.

Watch out if it happens again and gather information, e.g. did the pop-up alert refer to the actual site you were visiting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jo01

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 05:40:39 PM »
thanks! i believe it did refer to the actual site on the popup.  i will now know to watch for that next time.

Nesivos

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 10:23:38 PM »
hi - i'm a relatively new Avast user, so this may be a basic question.  I clicked on a web address today and a big red box appeared at the bottom right hand of my screen saying Avast blocked a potentially malicious site.  This is great, however, this didn't actually block me from going into the site.  i was in the 'malicious' site already when the pop-up came up.  Did Avast actually block anything?  or did it fail from blocking it despite the warning assuring me that it did its job?

thanks!

I had this happen when using IE9. When using Firefox I was not allowed access to the website.  Another reason I prefer Firefox to IE9.