Author Topic: Why Internet so slow?  (Read 12545 times)

boing77

Why Internet so slow?
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:43:47 PM »
I used Avast some time ago.  I abandoned it when there was an issue with false positives (.  Having seen the results of some comparative tests, I decided to leave MSE and come back to Avast.

I am disappointed to see that the problem of Avast slowing the Internet connection down is still as it was back then.  Surely, there must be a way to find a balance between safety and performance.  Dropping from ca. 10 Mbps to 4 Mbps or below does not look like a balance to me.

Does anyone have any advice on this?  Any configuration tips so that protection remains reasonably strong while performance does not suffer?  If not, I will have to revert to MSE which was quite OK (albeit quite slow at scanning the whole PC).

Many thanks

YoKenny

Re: Why Internet so slow?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 08:49:03 PM »
As you do not give much information about your system it is hard to offer advice.

I have no problem with avast! and its connection speed

http://speedtest.net

boing77

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »
What info would you need?

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:53:51 PM »
What info would you need?
System information like operating system, RAM amount and your ISP rated speed.

Did you try speedtest.net ???

boing77

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »
Er...I posted after trying Speedtest 15 times

I disabled the WebRep add-on already - small improvement

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Intel Core i5 760 OC, 4GB. 

Speedtest results vary from ca. 3.5 Mbps to ca. 7 Mbps, but 80% of results below 5.  It's a 10 Mbps cable connection and has been solid for as long as I can remember (obviously sometimes the connection will have a glitch but very infrequently, in my 4 year experience)

DBone

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 09:03:16 PM »
Stop both the web rep (I hate that thing) and web shield, and test again. Any difference?

boing77

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 09:09:35 PM »
I did stop WebShield.  It got worse! How can that be?  2.6-3.1 Mbps
I have also stopped shields that relate to software I do not use at all (IM, P2P)

Though, what's the point if the has to be WebShield completely off?

Could it be something with the connection itself?  Really bad timing, if true

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 09:32:01 PM »
Just to avoid any additional hidden problems, I would suggest downloading the specific removal tool for MSE and running it under Windows Safe Mode.

Any other security tools currently installed? Any other security tools that were installed and then uninstalled in the past?

Some (but not all) security removal utilities are listed at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/.

ayeweb

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 09:34:27 PM »
how about your computer?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 09:36:56 PM »
Your low speeds are generally related to your ISP, maybe its just a slow day by the results of your speed tests.
My ISP is supposed to be 20 Mbps but im lucky to get 9 or 11 and usually its more like 6.

AdrianH

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 09:41:39 PM »
Download speed is nothing to do with your AV, it is your router/modem/connection, are you on a poorly protected WiFi system perhaps?

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 09:44:18 PM »
Just to avoid any additional hidden problems, I would suggest downloading the specific removal tool for MSE and running it under Windows Safe Mode.

Any other security tools currently installed? Any other security tools that were installed and then uninstalled in the past?

Some (but not all) security removal utilities are listed at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/.

Hi,

As ady4um mentioned here, make sure that the computer is free from all kinds of security softwares and try with Avast. If still you are facing the issue, yea try to contact your ISP and check for the connection speed.

Have a wonderful day. Good Karma!

boing77

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 09:45:01 PM »
@ayeweb  If you could be more specific, I could offer a response

@craigb  I agree that I need to let it be and check in the next few days again.  But the connection has been extremely reliable.  Being cable is always very close to the advertised one

@ady4um  also have the MBAM, SB S&D, Spywareblaster, SuperAntiSpyware but nothing scans in the background, they are all used on demand
And Comodo Firewall (free version)

Only SAS was sort of recently installed but with MSE in place, never had any issues with the Internet connection

@AdrianH  I am wired, no WiFi  - and I disagree about the AV and the connection speed.  Avast did slow things down when I last used it (several months ago).  When I moved to MSE the difference was very clear and, perhaps more importantly, the speeds were very consistent.  I was hoping a new version of Avast would work better for me

Anyway, I will have to keep an eye on this to exclude issues arising from ISP
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:48:00 PM by boing77 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 09:52:33 PM »
After running the MSE removal tool that ady4um suggested ( which doesn't need to be run in safe mode ) you will also find two left over folders of MSE here C:\ProgramData\Microsoft,
Then run a search for Microsoft Antimalware, when explorer opens click computer and let it scan then delet the one file that is found.
Spybot can be a bad mix with avast but iv not heard of it giving the issue your having.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 09:55:37 PM »
1. also have the MBAM, SB S&D, Spywareblaster, SuperAntiSpyware but nothing scans in the background, they are all used on demand

2. Only SAS was sort of recently installed but with MSE in place, never had any issues with the Internet connection

1. You are "overprotected", imo. Drop SB, Spywareblaster and SAS.
2. What do you mean..? Is MSE still there..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0