Author Topic: INTERNET CONNECTION PROBLEM  (Read 15489 times)

Ferden

INTERNET CONNECTION PROBLEM
« on: October 24, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »
Hi, I installed Avast few days ago, but I already have some problems:

- Yesterday I lost all internet connection: the network manager says I'm connected, that internet is available, but every browser shows the "no internet" page.

- When I was browsing on internet (before the other problem, of course), the computer became far too slow at a random moment, without I can find a specific cause. No special program or page seemed to immediately trigger this, on the task manager I can't find anythink strange, but poping-up a window took 30-60 secs, scrolling a side bar took 5-10 secs to refresh, etc., the only solution was to reboot, until a point when suddenly the same thing happened again in the new session.

In both cases, uninstall or deactivate Avast solves the problem. Of course, I don't have any virus. Besides, I noticed on my firewall log that Avast subprograms permanently use 20 times more bandwith than a browser: is it normal? I have a Eee netbook with Win7.

Do you what it is or how to solve it?
Thanks

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:33:36 PM by Ferden »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: INTERNET CONNECTION PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:58:38 PM »
Which avast..??
Which version..??
Other security related software..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »
This can occur due to incorrect proxy settings in the web browser for Avast

Resolution: Include the Proxy server settings for Internet Explorer when using broadband and/or local area network (LAN) Internet connection
1.   Start Internet Explorer.
2.   Select Tools -> Internet Options... from the main menu.
3.   Switch to page Connections.
4.   Click on the LAN Settings... button.
5.   Check the option Use a proxy server for your LAN.
6.   Write localhost into the Address field (alternatively, you can enter IP address 127.0.0.1, which is the same as localhost).
7.   Enter 12080 into the Port field.
8.   Confirm with OK button.

Screenshots provided below:

Have a wonderful day. Good Karma!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 04:13:19 PM »
I have a Eee netbook with Win7.......
Hi, I installed Avast few days ago..........
what AV did you have before you installed avast ?
did it come with a preinstalled AV ?
have you removed it ?
did you run a removal tool to clear any leftovers before installing avast ?

run and reboot - Uninstallers for Security Software
http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/

Ferden

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »
Hi, thanks to all.

Which avast..?? Which version..??

Avast free antivirus 6.0.1289 definitions 111022-0

Other security related software..??

Ad-aware, Claimwin and C-Cleaner, none of which with realtime features.

Comodo firewall, of course with a real time feature, but it doesn't cause me problems. I have it since before Avast, and for few days I could use them both without connection problems.

what AV did you have before you installed avast ?

Those mentioned, none realtime, seldom used, they never discovered any big threat, just few suspect files.

have you removed it ?

No

did you run a removal tool to clear any leftovers before installing avast ?

No

I have a Eee netbook with Win7.......
did it come with a preinstalled AV ?

No

run and reboot - Uninstallers for Security Software

Well, of course I skipped this step

This can occur due to incorrect proxy settings in the web browser for Avast...

I tried to do it, but it doesn't help. Also, it prevents me internet access even when turning down Avast. To restore the connection I have to deactivate Avast, delete those LAN setting and reboot the computer. Notice that I had internet for few days with Avast, but it stopped from one moment to another, without any change/install/action. I was browsing ordinary staff (wikipedia), and suddenly no more internet, with either IE or firefox.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:23:47 PM by Ferden »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:36:10 PM »
Advised to get rid of Ad-aware and clamwin as there can still be conflict issues with those programs, malwarebytes would be a far better choice for backup scans.
Have you tried deleting avast from the applications list in your firewall and letting it be re discovered ?

Ferden

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:01:23 PM »
Have you tried deleting avast from the applications list in your firewall and letting it be re discovered ?

I just did, and it doesn't help

Advised to get rid of Ad-aware and clamwin as there can still be conflict issues with those programs,

Well, Ad-aware and clamwin  are fine programs that never gave me any problem while avast did. If I have to get rid of one, it's the latter.

malwarebytes would be a far better choice for backup scans.

What does it means?

Also, I identified what triggers the computer freezing: it's - you will never believe it - selecting a text with the cursor. For some reason, if the computer starts with avast activated, then selecting a text is not a problem (which is normal), if the computer starts with avast activated, then selecting just a character from a browser blocks it to the extent I described, without anythink noticeable on the task manager. Also, there's a difference in selecting a text with a font attached, like an ordinary page, or a text without font like a redaction of a post in this forum, which causes about half of this effect. In both cases, however, the only solution is forcefully reboot. Do you know what on hell causes that?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 08:26:10 PM »
Do you know what on hell causes that?

Yep.
Other security related software. ;)
Or prior installed and not fully removed AVs.
I would start with removing AA...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Ferden

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »
Here:

there's no tool for Ad-aware or Claimwin. Does it means the control panel will do? And, more important: will it change anything?

By the way: craigb, where do you find the .gif for your avatars???
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:36:50 PM by Ferden »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 09:46:45 PM »
And, more important: will it change anything?
only time will tell...  ;)
uninstall and reboot, then run CCleaner regclean and reboot

Ferden

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 12:36:30 PM »
Just one question before: why should I think keeping avast is better than keeping ad-aware?

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »
Just one question before: why should I think keeping avast is better than keeping ad-aware?

IMHO, because the alternatives for ad-aware are better than ad-aware, while the alternatives for Avast aren't better than Avast.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »

Are you serious..?? ;D
But do as you like, it's all up to you anyway.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 05:48:08 PM »
Ad-Aware is not an anti-virus, avast is both anti-virus and anti-spyware.
Malwarebytes will perform a much better job with less risk of conflicts compaired to ad-aware.

Ferden one of the Avatar links iv used recently is http://www.forumsextreme.com/ and it might look like it, but it isnt a sex site  ;D

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 05:58:29 PM »
Ad-Aware is not an anti-virus, avast is both anti-virus and anti-spyware.
Malwarebytes will perform a much better job with less risk of conflicts compaired to ad-aware.

Ferden one of the Avatar links iv used recently is http://www.forumsextreme.com/ and it might look like it, but it isnt a sex site  ;D
Ad-Aware have integrated Ikarus AV engine......(it may conflict with avast)  free version have limited real time protection

also full protection...depending what version you run