Author Topic: 2 Questions (about VRDB & Network Shield)  (Read 5019 times)

Kaepora

2 Questions (about VRDB & Network Shield)
« on: November 15, 2004, 07:19:26 AM »
Hello,
This is my first post here; I've read numerous topics, but have not created one until now.  So, on with the questions...

Okay, I was wondering if the VRDB service is really necessary.  Does it cause any slowdown when it is not running?  Also, what does it consider to be 'idle'?  I mean, if I'm running an application, such as a game, and lets say there is a video sequence occurring, will the VRDB service consider the computer to be idle while this is going on?  My concern is that there could be slowdown while the video is running.  

Now, my other question is this: If I am running a personal firewall (as well as the 'firewall' w/ my router), is it necessary for the Network Shield to be running?  If it matters, ZoneAlarm is the firewall I am running, and I am using a BEFSX41 router.  

I hate having too many things running, if you haven't noticed; thus, I don't want this or the VRDB service running if they aren't really necessary.

Oh, by the way, I modified these settings in my 'avast4.ini' file.

IdleMeansSeconds=120
RunInterval=40320

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies to this!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 07:45:07 AM by Kaepora »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:2 Questions (about VRDB & Network Shield)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 01:00:42 PM »
Idle in avast! means not moving the mouse. Even if CPU is 100% used and you're not oving mouse,VRDB will start to generate. In this case its better to use screensaver mode (and don't forget to set some screensaver).
VRDB is also fully integrated into avast!,so you cannot remove it or disable it so it would use less resources. It can only be disabled in way it will no longer generate its database.

Network Shield is an addition to classic software or hardware firewall and not a replacement. It catches network worms and exploits like Sasser or MSBlast.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 01:34:45 PM »
Will it work with the "Power saving" screen saver?
I have no software screensaver installed, only the "power off monitor after 10 minutes" one.
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 01:42:28 PM »
I think not. Or maybe. You can use any simple screensaver thats already in Windows (like Starfield or XP logo).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 05:20:13 PM »
The VRDB database is referred to by avast in order to attempt a repair of an infected file. If the file is one that is scanned by the VRDB process and has been scanned then a repair can be attempted.

Without the VRDB a repair can't be attempted, leaving only the Move to chest or Delete the infected file (not so good when the infected file could be a system file).

So, the VRDB process is in my opinion essential to the avast anti-virus program.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Kaepora

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 05:22:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately, I do not use a screensaver, but, like Lars said he does, I  use the embedded power saving feature.  I have it set for the monitor to turn off after 15 minutes, which basically replaces the need for a screensaver as far as I am concerned.  I suppose that this feature could warrant me using a simple screensaver (I'm assuming the 'Blank' one supplied with Windows works).  Well, nonetheless, thanks for your help.

So, the VRDB process is in my opinion essential to the avast anti-virus program.

Well, I'll go by that and leave it enabled.  

Thanks.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 05:24:08 PM by Kaepora »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 05:45:08 PM »
I too don't bother with a screen-saver and just use the standby after a delay.

I still have the 'Generate VRDB when screen-saver is running' in my settings, this in effect never happens as I don't use a screen-saver.

I take a backup image of my system every week along with other maintenance tasks. One of these tasks is, I manualy run a 'Generate VRDB Now' every two weeks which is less than the default three weeks.

This I find is a more predictable option and it takes a few minutes because it is not always stopping and starting.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 05:46:09 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Kaepora

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 06:13:33 PM »
So, your saying it only takes a few minutes to complete?  That being the case,  I might just do what you do.  

If anyone knows, approximately how long does it normally take?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 08:30:12 PM »
That would be totally dependant on the size of the data on your HDDs and the number of files that would normally be scanned .exe, .dll files, etc.

For me with about 6GB of data on my 1st HDD about three - five mins. I usually fire it up when I'm going to make a coffee, when I get back it's done.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 10:59:12 PM »
So, your saying it only takes a few minutes to complete?  That being the case,  I might just do what you do. If anyone knows, approximately how long does it normally take?

Depends a lot of your system (how many executable files do you have) and what is running in background. Like David said, maybe something between 5 minutes and one hour  :-\

I'm assuming the 'Blank' one supplied with Windows works).

I suppose too, but you can see the date after some days and check if the VRDB is working...

Will it work with the "Power saving" screen saver? I have no software screensaver installed, only the "power off monitor after 10 minutes" one.

I think not. Maybe I'm wrong but avast! must detect the state of a 'screen saver running' to start VRDB...  :-\
The best things in life are free.