Author Topic: CCleaner 3.12.1572 Now "Cleans" avast! By Default  (Read 16070 times)

DBone

CCleaner 3.12.1572 Now "Cleans" avast! By Default
« on: October 24, 2011, 06:45:36 PM »
Does anybody know exactly what CCleaner cleans in avast!? I updated CCleaner today, and it now has avast! as an option, and it's checked by default. I chose to clean avast! and it removed 18mg's of something, what, I don't know.............. Anybody?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: CCleaner 3.12.1572 Now "Cleans" avast! By Default
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 06:57:14 PM »
They are only the avast temp log files which are harmless but i still prefer to untick security software app's in my list just in case.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 06:57:40 PM »
Old log`s....i am guessing!

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:01:11 PM »
Anything Ccleaner cleans should be clearly listed.  After clicking the Analyze button, double click on the Avast! entry from among the list of cleanable items.  This should bring up the details you want.

As mentioned, its probably temp files, logs, etc.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

jrace

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 07:07:46 PM »
I chose to clean avast! and it removed 18mg's of something, what, I don't know.............. Anybody?

If you first just chose "Analyse" and double click avast!6 line you will see all items to be cleaned.
It also works if you double click the line after cleaning but then it is definitely too late to decide!

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 07:09:05 PM »
Hi,

As craigb and Pondus mentioned here, those can be old log files from avast!. But its recommented not to check that option. Those files may be usefull in future.

Have a wonderful day. Good Karma!

DBone

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »
Good info everyone, thanks! I did not know that I could double click an entry to see more specific info. I trust CCleaner, but it just seems weird to clean my AV!

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 04:49:05 AM »
I mentioned the following before:

if any Avast user would go to Piriform's forums or contact page and suggest to add Avast 6 (with the current default path), they would probably do it, and there shouldn't be any conflicts.

And then http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=34091&view=findpost&p=203350

So after that request they added Avast 6 in CCleaner with no conflicts. :o :)

This of course has nothing to do with me. The reason I mention this is because I would have change at least 2 things.

First, I would NOT have added Avast with the "default=true", but with "default=false".

Then, as originally requested in that post I linked to, I would also add the "report" folder too, not only the "logs", and I would extend this addition to older Avast versions in CCleaner's items. IMHO this second change / request would be valid ONLY if the "default=false".

I have no idea why they don't add the reports too, or why they set the default as true for Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 12:25:21 PM »
avast did not do the job. Housekeeping was necessary and they don't pay attention to that.
Now, a 3rd party tool is just showing how the housekeeping is necessary.
Pay attention to the numbers!
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 02:45:11 PM »
Well Ideally you want to stop the creation of the unp99999999.mdmp files to avast as I believe these are error conditions (and probably why they remain), which it would be better to fix the problem than the symptom.

I don't have any of the logging9999999999.log files in my Log sub-folder (image1), so I don't know if you have something like debug logging enabled, are these files created daily ?

You could also restrict the size of these user log files in the avastUI, Settings, Maintenance section (image2) I have mine set to 32KB and that may account for the multiple Mail9999999.log files.

I don't have CCleaner clean any avast area.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 06:34:26 PM »
I just accepted the CCleaner default and let it clean the Avast log files.  I haven't noticed any change in how Avast runs since the files were cleaned.   

By the way, Wise Disk Cleaner in their advanced cleaning section identifies these files for cleaning after a scan but when you hit the "Clean" button it doesn't appear to clean them.

Good for CCleaner :)

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
@Tech and DavidR,

I'm not sure I understood your posts. I mean, I know what those temporal files are, but I don't understand why you are bringing the issue.

In my case I don't have leftovers / remnants, and my logs are not near those big numbers of MB. I thought that this topic was about CCleaner's capability (and what can't do) in relation to Avast, and less about the "big" MB of cleaning logs. Moreover, I'm not sure CCleaner can clean all those tmp files of Avast by default (and if it can, it is not related to the Avast item itself in CCleaner). But maybe I misunderstood the main issue of this topic.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:32:41 PM »
Generally it is in line of what is or isn't cleaned by ccleaner, as I said I don't see anything in ccleaner that is cleaning any avast location by default (but I still have ccleaner 3.11.). I totally disagree with allowing ccleaner clear any avast logs as they are a useful user and debugging tool.

Tech is reporting what isn't being cleared by avast housekeeping, which he is having ccleaner clean up in the avast locations. My point to him is he could probably limit what is there in the first place to be cleaned by ccleaner.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 07:44:01 PM »
@DavidR,

Thank you. Now I understand what you meant (and that you were specifically talking to Tech).

I agree with you about not letting CCleaner automatically clean Avast logs (nor reports, if they decide to add those also). That's why I said that the "default=true" for Avast is a mistake from Piriform IMHO.

Still, I don't know why they decided to add the logs only, but not the reports.