Author Topic: CCleaner 3.12.1572 Now "Cleans" avast! By Default  (Read 16132 times)

alpha1

Re: CCleaner 3.12.1572 Now "Cleans" avast! By Default
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 04:54:15 PM »
i think we should just let avast do its own cleaning rather than use third party programs.
just make sure you adjust the settings (in settings > maintenance) to your preference.

dbone,ya we have enough scary things here as it is.  ;D

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 09:25:40 PM »
For what it's worth CCleaner left all my avast logs intact.
CCleaner has an "option" button where you can add exclusions.  :)

No need to add exclusions in this case. Simply uncheck the item (any "Avast *" item).

Since Avast is checked by default (as many other items are), this is one of several examples / reasons why I don't recommend any cleaner, unless specific instructions are given about which exact / specific items should be active (and all the others shouldn't). That means: use CCleaner (or any alternative) to clean specific situations / items, but not as a general suggestion.
You will find CCleaner is extremely safe to use. I use CCleaner on a regular basis. And, I, of course take back-ups just in case. For a novice I will always recommend using CCleaner due to its ease and safety.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ady4um

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 05:06:53 AM »
You will find CCleaner is extremely safe to use. I use CCleaner on a regular basis. And, I, of course take back-ups just in case. For a novice I will always recommend using CCleaner due to its ease and safety.  :)

Well, NO, *I* won't find it extremely safe. We clearly have different opinions. My not-short experience with cleaners says we disagree. *I* also use CCleaner, but my goals for it's use are very defined and specific, and, as I already mentioned, I don't recommend using it with such general purposes.

There are many items in CCleaner that are "default=true" that can have very negative consequences, or at least undesired ones. So, if the user already knows what he is doing (what *exactly* he wants to "clean"), then CCleaner is great. But for general use, suggesting to use it "as-is", is NOT "safe" IMNSHO.

I won't get into the details. We have different experiences and opinions. And that's fine.

DBone

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 05:14:10 AM »
Which default selections do you find there to be an issue with?

alpha1

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 05:35:54 AM »
ady4um,can you elaborate on how ccleaner could be unsafe.
i have it,and occasionally use it,and i wouldn't mind knowing what risks there are,and/or how serious.

ady4um

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 05:54:55 AM »
Which default selections do you find there to be an issue with?

For example, some office suites items shouldn't be cleaned in some situations. For some users (depending on how and what they installed from the complete office suite), cleaning the office item will not have unwanted consequences. But I indeed have seen cases where cleaning office items in CCleaner has been a very bad choice (no matter how much free space you are supposed to gain).

In fact, cleaning Avast with CCleaner by default is also a bad choice. Only when the user has some specific goal, and he knows what he wants to achieve, the item ("Avast *") should be active (checked).

Some registry cleanings are also not "so much recommended".

So, what I'm trying to say is that CCleaner is good and welcome, but IMO the "factory defaults" are not always "safe" as other users are saying. That's why I don't recommend it with a *general* purpose, but only if I give specific instructions on which items to clean (and all the others UNchecked).

This is my own experience and opinion, and other users are free to have their own.