Author Topic: installed (tried to) ais 6.1289 over av-free, no firewall tab?  (Read 4040 times)

peterh

installed (tried to) ais 6.1289 over av-free, no firewall tab?
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:18:17 AM »
I decided to give the avast internet security a tryout, since I don't entirely trust
the windows firewall (win 7 ultimate 64 bit) to be secure. Been using Avast! antivirus free for some years now, so I downloaded the setup_ais.exe and tried to install it.

Alas, I do not get a firewall tab on the ais user interface at all.
Presumably it's not installed.

Any thoughts? I thought this was a 30 day trial version of the complete suite.

tia,  -Peter

ady4um

Re: installed (tried to) ais 6.1289 over av-free, no firewall tab?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:52:49 AM »
What about rebooting after the install?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »
You might have to do a clean install instead of over the top as that might confuse the install package with the free version already installed.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:38:17 AM »
Any thoughts?

Repair avast:
1. Control Panel - Add/Remove programs - avast!
2. Scroll down and click on 'Repair'.
3. Follow instructions.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

peterh

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 11:09:57 AM »
1 - after I installed setup_ais.exe a restart was required in the first place, this did not bring up the firewall tab.
2 - using the repair option did not bring up the firewall tab.
3 - uninstalling and reinstalling worked - firewall tab present.

4 - Alas, the result was undesirable. I left the general security level on medium as per default, went in to the application setup, cut WMP off from the network and gave both opera and firefox full access on all ports to the 'net. Unfortunately 9 times out of 10 connection attempts I'd get "cannot locate server" errors from both browsers.
I proceeded to give the webshield full access also, just in case. No improvement. This seems a bit overzealous on the part of the firewall, and I had to uninstall it again even just to be able to log in here to report back and so I guess I'll be reverting to merely using the free antivirus for the time being unless someone can exactly pinpoint what the problem might be.
Not a good first impression. In case you're wondering, I've extensive experience with setting up and configuring wingate, sygate~, tiny~, kerio~, and sunbelt firewall as well as comodo (the latter used to cause bsod on win xp on my main system so I ditched it) not to mention the dreaded zonealarm (e.g. digging it out of people's system because it was behaving more like malware than anything else) - so I've some ideas w.r.t. what expected behaviour should be like.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
Peterh, add the license file and the installation will be upgraded or make an installation from scratch.
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 04:30:15 PM »
Some removal utilities specific for some (but not all) security tools are listed at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/. Better to run them under Windows Safe Mode to avoid little "quirks" and potential conflicts.

They might clean up your system.

For Avast, the removal utility is located at http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility. Select the correct version and folder, run it, reboot again into Safe Mode and run it again selecting each time each version of Avast you ever HAD, so to clean up all remnants of all versions of Avast.

You should also delete firewall rules from the Windows built in firewall. Once you install your new Avast (with its firewall) the rules should be re-created ("learning mode").

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »
Hi, peterh

You can try this. Set the firewall setting into Home and try to go online and see if it is working or not.
  If you are still facing the issue, make sure that you remove and reinstall the avast! using the avast! removal utility.  You need to select the correct   product as avast! 6Free/Pro/Internet Security and you need to provide the exact path for the installed avast! folder in the computer. Once you remove avast! from the computer make sure that you reboot the machine and reinstall the avast! software again. Hope this time it will be fixed.

Have a wonderful day. Good Karma!