Author Topic: Solved Avast Possibly Preventing Plugins from loading for Second Life 3D Game  (Read 6547 times)

bikemanAMD

Windows 7 64bit
Windows Firewall
Avast 6.0.1289

Problem is Avast is preventing supposely SLplugin.exe to load, as well as SLvoice.exe to load somehow, there Search or voice chat doesn't work in second life most of the time,  No errors or bsods, nothing in Virus chest at all.   Spoke to Phoenix/Firestorm support for Firestorm 3rd party viewer, and they said most likely it's avast blocking the 2 mentioned files.  is there somthing i can do, to get this working correctly

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:56:23 PM by bikemanAMD »

ady4um

Re: Avast Possibly Preventing Plugins from loading for Second Life 3D Game
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:06:10 PM »
Try

Avast main GUI -> web shield -> EXPERT settings -> "...well known browsers only". If it is not enough, please reboot and try again.

Please report back.

bikemanAMD

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:17:10 PM »
Ok will try that, and reply back if issue is solved or not, hopefully it is, but i will see if it does solve it.   

bikemanAMD

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 04:31:14 AM »
Ok the plugins are still blocked in the program, i even tried adding them as trusted processes in behavior shield, made sure it was set to ask, even did a clean install of Avast this morning

and set webshield to only scan known browsers

Any other suggestions to solve this issue?

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 04:57:49 AM »
The only "sign" that Avast has something to do with this is just "the word" of that support guy?

Any test that confirm that assumption? If you close all programs and pause Avast shields, can you perform all those tasks normally?

Any other type of connection that you suspect Avast is having some problem with?

When you uninstalled Avast, have you ran the removal utility from http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Any other security tools installed (currently, or in the past)?

Do you have any specific firewall rules, either for all/any Avast processes or for SecondLife plugins?

bikemanAMD

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 05:00:43 AM »
Firewall rules are allowed

I used avast uninstall Utlity

MSE was installed in the past, used the proper removal tool to remove that completely and installed Avast as Adminsrator from my Adminstrator account.

And Only test was on a friends PC running Microsoft Security Essentials, and everything worked fine

In Secondlife game, i cannot open profiles, or use the search inside the game to find anything

Tried pausing avast, and Search and Profile viewing still does not work

Using Offical second Life viewer 3.1

Using Windows 7 64bit Firewall

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:03:27 AM by bikemanAMD »

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:11:33 AM »
Firewall rules are allowed

Then delete them (specially those related to SecondLife AND Avast), reboot and re-create them. To re-create them, probably when you try to use the relevant programs the firewall should ask you to allow them or not, so it is the adequate opportunity to re-create them.

If that is still not enough, please report what EXACT rules you have.

In Secondlife game, i cannot open profiles, or use the search inside the game to find anything

Tried pausing avast, and Search and Profile viewing still does not work

Well, if the behaviour with Avast in pause is the same as with Avast shields working, then it is more in line with what I requested before (firewall rules).

Please follow the instructions and report back.

bikemanAMD

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 06:34:39 PM »
Ok Excluded the plugins in Avast,  Recreated the Firewall Rules for SL voice, and Avast, rebooted, logged into my Standard user account, Opened Secondlife Viewer, disabled, and renabled voice, entered UAC escalation password (PC's Admin account), then checked task manager and SL Plugin and SL voice are loaded correctly now

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 07:20:55 PM »
So, am I understanding correctly and is this issue completely solved?

If it is, please go to the first post of this topic and select "modify" on the right upper side of the first post. Then change the "subject" or "title" of the topic, adding "[SOLVED]" (without quotation marks) to the topic title. Thanks.