Author Topic: XP Crash while loading Avast definitions update  (Read 2159 times)

huzabah

XP Crash while loading Avast definitions update
« on: October 25, 2011, 03:37:39 PM »
Hi - I am new to this forum so forgive if I make some mistakes here.

I triple boot. DOS 6.22 and W98SE are are one hard drive. XP Pro is on a separate hard drive. I can go down from XP to W98 and Dos but not up.

While loading a long update of the new definitions on XP, I walked away from the computer only to come back to find it was now in W98.

I cannot bring up XP, not even in safe mode. Not even a light blinking at me.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Carole

iyogisolutions1

Re: XP Crash while loading Avast definitions update
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 04:39:59 PM »
Hi,

We need more info about your avast! version. So please update.

Have a wonderful day.. Good Karma! :)

huzabah

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »
You want to know what Avast version I have?  Good question. I cannot bring up XP to take a look.

Carole

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 07:37:23 PM »
I have to say that this issue seems not related to Avast itself. It might be possible that something happened when you were updating Avast, or maybe Avast already finished and something else happened when you were still away.

Avast won't restart your system automatically. If Avast, for whichever reason, needs to restart your system, it would show you a question and the user MUST confirm the reboot. It is NOT automatically performed.

Moreover, Avast doesn't even touch your system files.

The reasons for the reboot into Win98 are too many to mention. You would probably need to repair your booting files and/or boot sectors (and maybe even the MBRs) so to recover the capability to reboot into XP.

Remember that the boot system files are usually located in your first primary partition of your first disk, even when XP might be installed in a different partition. At least this is the most common behaviour.