Author Topic: Avast free for mac beta preventing Windows XP updating in VMWare Fusion  (Read 5829 times)

bilbo--baggins

Just found that a new installation of Windows XP within VMWare Fusion could not run any updates while Avast free for Mac was running.  It wasn't warning me of any problems, it simply got stuck saying it was looking for updates.

With Avast shields switched off it worked ok.  Unfortunately I've now uninstalled the beta as it's probably more important to keep Windows protected with updates than having antivirus on the Mac.

Offline mity

• Avast team
Re: Avast free for mac beta preventing Windows XP updating in VMWare Fusion
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »
We will look at the problem.

Unfortunately I've now uninstalled the beta.

A pity :-(
We need the beta testers like you are...

Regards
Mity

bilbo--baggins

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 07:37:28 PM »
I'm happy to help - maybe I can reinstall the beta if there is a workaround to this or once it's fixed?

Unfortunately we need antivirus software that keeps logs for 12 months to comply with PCI  - and I'm not sure if Avast will meet that requirement even when the final release is available.   My plan therefore was to keep looking at the options available - but if someone can tell me where the log files are stored (for the real-time shield) then I can set up some automated backup.

I'm quite wary of antivirus software generally - I tried Intego's Virus Barrier a few years ago and it kept causing kernel panics, then I tried Sophos last week and it kept freezing my MacBook Pro, so I uninstalled that.   Avast is definitely the most promising I've tried so far - and it's only a beta!

Mr.Agent

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 07:41:55 PM »
Yes bilbo but Beta are buggy some times. That why if you help them like others do they can know more and find more bugs. So its can be less buggy than the softwares you mentioned. Maybe the softwares you mentioned above wasnt having alot helps. Bugs are normal for a software. There no 100 % bug free for a software the only thing that can be 100 % free is nothing really.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:43:38 PM by Mr.Agent »

bilbo--baggins

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 07:49:04 PM »
I'd never heard of Avast before a few days ago - and the thing that really has impressed me so far is how responsive the company is. With some companies it feels like there is a wall around them - and trying to tell them about bugs feels like a waste of time.  If I can test Avast beta and help make it even better then it feels worthwhile.  However I understand that the Mac may not be a big enough market to warrant putting enough resources into making it as good as the windows version - which might be frustrating.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 08:15:08 PM »
Good luck on the problem. mity might look at it as he said. ;D