Author Topic: Turning off boot-scan nagging  (Read 3696 times)

bagby

Turning off boot-scan nagging
« on: October 26, 2011, 07:34:45 AM »
Avast is constantly nagging me that it wants me to restart and perform a scan at boot.

How do I disable this nag, short of uninstalling Avast?

Gargamel360

Re: Turning off boot-scan nagging
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:54:54 AM »
Uhhh, it does not do that (in my experience) unless you are currently infected.  So, you might want to think about that. ;)

To answer your question directly;  You don't.  Its not a "nag" when you are infected and you AV is telling you what you should do.  No more than police forcibly stopping a bank robbery is tyrannical or facist.  It is doing what it is supposed to do.

Now, if you want to see about getting your likely infection cleaned, see here>>http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.msg451454#msg451454

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 12:44:09 PM »
Nag? First, is your computer clean? If not, well, it's not a nag, it's for your safety.
The best things in life are free.

bagby

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »
Yes, it is. Which makes this a nag.

If it's not possible to turn it off, I need a new AV.  Avast does not know best.

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 06:57:30 PM »
You know, as I said, this has never appeared for me without reason.  Are you getting some weird behavior where it is just popping up randomly?

Otherwise, if this appears following an infection alert, the behavior is normal, long established, and if you really hate it that much, I guess move on to another product.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 07:01:35 PM »
Did you run a boot time scan like avast asked ? then you wont get the nag anymore and run a secondary scan with malwarebytes if you haven't already for a second opinion.

bagby

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 07:11:15 PM »
Yes, I do hate it that much. I'm satisfied my system is clean now, and decline to do the long, slow boot-scan during which the computer can't be used for anything else, solely to make Avast throw a switch nobody in the support fora can tell me how to simply throw myself in order to make it shut up.

Too bad. Avast was an OK product, otherwise, but this is a design I can't live with.

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 07:23:21 PM »
I have declined to do a boot scan after a detection/removal before.  And that was the end of it.  Didn't see it again after that.  So from what little I have to go on (you have provided no detail of the situation that led to this),  I would say you are either still infected, or something is amiss, like the boot scan recommendation prompt is not "remembering" your No answer.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 07:47:46 PM »
When exactly do you get this message? It should appear only after something has been detected (and even then only in specific cases), certainly not randomly, without reason.