Author Topic: Is there a new avast company in Japan?  (Read 12016 times)

ManyQs

Is there a new avast company in Japan?
« on: October 27, 2011, 11:50:03 AM »
I think it was only a few days ago that I clicked on the "More Details" button (On the updated popup.) and the page came up in English.

Today it came up in Japanese and I see a URL with "...co.jp/...".

In addition a quick glance at the latest version on the popup showed a version for the 27th, but when I clicked on the "US" link on the selection I saw ...2501 was the version.

So what's going on, please?

Firstly, is there some kind of new avast entity here in Japan?

If so, how can we stay away from them? I'm sorry, but I don't want anything to do with a Japanese company running avast.

So thirdly relates to "If so" up there -- how do I get the "More Details" page to always come up in English? If we have a new thing going on there might be some new settings, yes? No? Don't have a clue what I'm on about?

Oh yes, and that "How do we find new computer" video link -- well, that is not very good English and it remained in that sentence structure even after the language switched to English.

And what's wrong with this text input window bouncing around and all?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:25:51 PM by ManyQs »

ManyQs

Re: Is there a new avast company in Japan?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 05:24:51 AM »
I'm sorry, did I post this in the wrong place?

In a nutshell, it's the change in behaviour that is what I don't understand. I did not change any settings. I am still getting that "Update Notice" in English and the "More Details" button is in English, so why the heck the change to Japanese?

And another thing, that video thingy I was writing about that has the rather porrly phrased English in it -- it blocks some of the options when one clicks for a change of languages. It does the same thing when I switch using the US button. And I see no button to make that video thingy disappear.

Anyway, I want to know if my IP address is going to force me to have to put up with a Japanese Avast site? Thank you.

alpha1

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 10:11:45 AM »
it's probably a glitch in avast.

ManyQs

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 10:58:33 AM »
I appreciate the response, alpha1 --love that User ID, by the way -- anyway, I do appreciate the response and the glitch part is very likely with that video thingy blocking some of the radio buttons for langauge/country options.

But the other stuff I think has something to do with some sort of new agreement with some folks here in Japan. I was just checking to see if any settings were somehow changed and they are all the same, BUT on some of the 'Summary" pages I was seeing some kind of advert in Japanese to get me to download some additional product from Avast. That's no glitch.

Now the jump from an English language update notice to Japanese for the "More Details" I suppose could be a glitch. I just wish somebody would clue me in to what's going on.

If I can still rely on support when needed right here and that won't be moved to some Japanese group/company/whatever I'd be fine with a bit of advert stuff from the Japanese. I just want to know what's going on. Keep myself informed, you might say.

And if anyone is wondering why I am paranoid about the a Japanese manager taking over online support all you have to do is ask someone the difference between Microsoft support by the Japanese as compared to other countries. Japanese IT managers in customer support treat their customers like idiots and talk down to them and just plain don't have any bloody respect. That is unless the customer is some sort of corporate client, tthen -- oh boy -- what a difference. But us peons are treated just like that, peons.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »
1. Now the jump from an English language update notice to Japanese for the "More Details" I suppose could be a glitch. I just wish somebody would clue me in to what's going on.

2. If I can still rely on support when needed right here and that won't be moved to some Japanese group/company/whatever I'd be fine with a bit of advert stuff from the Japanese. I just want to know what's going on. Keep myself informed, you might say.

1. No glitch, they're localizing this info. (I get it in German.)
2. Don't worry, the Japanese support won't be dropped here. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ManyQs

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
Thank you for the response, Asyn.

To explain a bit more why I had some worries I'd have to compare the situation with Dell's online support. Using a Japanese IP address means never being able to get tools in English that are necessary in support if one's Japanese ability in difficult technical vocabulary is not up to snuff. Dell is just plain awful about that and it seems it's the maniac control the Japanese want over Dell products in Japan that's the cause.

With Microsoft Office it gets pretty bad and I gave up on them, with a disk for Microsoft Office just collecting dust. Expensive dust!

With Windows there are still ways of working around the "I have a Japanese IP address" problem.

So there it is in a nutshell. I'd like my 6-year relationship with Avast as I've known it up to now to stay just like it is.

By the way, do you see that video thingy blocking radio buttons, Asyn?

Do I need to use a photo uploading client to put images here?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »
1. Thank you for the response, Asyn.

2. By the way, do you see that video thingy blocking radio buttons, Asyn?

3. Do I need to use a photo uploading client to put images here?

1. You're welcome..!
2. I block these videos, so maybe someone else wants to answer this. ;)
3. No, just attach them.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ManyQs

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »
Okay, I have gotten the image that shows what I mean and stored it as JPEG on my HD. That video launch window is the same as seen on the Japanese "More Details" page, but here is the U.S. page and you can see it's blocking other options.

And I see I have been missidentifying that set of radio buttons. That's the "Region Selector". Anyway, I haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of that video thingy. Lucky for me English as in U.S. or UK are in that right column.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:47:56 PM by ManyQs »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 12:53:40 PM »
Anyway, I haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of that video thingy.

It's blocked by NoScript on FF here.

ManyQs

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »
I should have done that differently. Here's the page I get when I click on "More Details". You can see that video launch window and then I will ask for the "Region Selector" menu by clicking on the button up there in the upper-right corner where the Japanese flag can be seen. The problem is the video launch window stays right there and blocks the entire left column of regions, like you see on that U.S. page posted above.

alpha1

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »
hi manyqs,first off i'm glad you like my id  ;D .
as to the subject at hand,if its only that web page that's affecting you,it shouldnt be an issue as all that stuff in japanese isnt important anyway,just generic stuff,the main thing is the number of signatures which is in english,and the names of those signatures as well.
if its really an issue,you could always use a vpn etc.(to change ip address)  ;) .

btw,your id ain't bad either.  :D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 04:09:14 PM by alpha1 »

ManyQs

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 12:12:20 AM »
Thank you, alpha1, but I wasn't so much concerned with the contents of the page as I was with the thought that maybe this signaled the beginning of the end of normal support from Avast here and a move toward that which I described above.

There was the surprise factor, too.

And that video launch window blocking a whole row of radio buttons, apparently in all configurations. Like the video launch window is static over the top of a dynamic page.

Eventually, somebody is going to be seriously inconvenienced by that problem and the sooner some tech guy at Avast sees this thread and fixes that problem the better.

Oh yes, and that poor English doesn't exactly exude professionalism. I'm afraid I haven't had the time to watch that, though.

About Edit: I'm sorry about that mistake. I really was not trying to poke fun at anyone, Monty Python style. It's morning here and I guess I hadn't had my coffee yet. Really am sorry. It was not intentional.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:18:37 AM by ManyQs »

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 07:06:04 AM »
I confirmed this YouTube overlap issue with IE9, but not with FF7.
So, this could be an CSS rendering issue.

I don't think avast has its own Japanese branch, just domain.
Webpage translations may be by Japanese staff in AVAST HQ.

I also think it could be done that changing messages or links using selected GUI language, not IP location.
I hope avast implement this function.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:24:55 AM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

ManyQs

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 05:59:46 AM »
Good point, NON, and thank you for doing a bit of detective work. I'm using IE8 on this machine and the only one I've used since I first posted. CSS I hadn't thought of, for some reason. Stupid me.

And I saw that the video launch window doesn't cover quite as many buttons when I am on the Japanese page, but still enough that there might be a problem for a folk or two. Let me stick a screen shot of what it looks like when I get that "Regional Selector" on the Japanese page. The one I attached up a few posts was on a U.S. page.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:04:36 AM by ManyQs »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 12:32:27 PM »
The same is true for me when I tried it using IE8 also have to allow flash, activeX spit when you click the region selector, the youtube window stays on top. No problem as mentioned in firefox 7.0.1.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security