Author Topic: Battlefield 3 and Avast Problem  (Read 42858 times)

ady4um

Re: Battlefield 3 and Avast Problem
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 10:14:23 PM »
And you are dev? That you are talking about proper way to post feedback?
If I see a Dev posting here with information about steps I should take and logs I should post I will do it.
And I believe that it is: PEBKAC - Keyboard and Chair.

And yes, it is problem with Avast. I tried Eset trial and everything works ok with battlelog and it's plugin. What worries me it the fact that Avast doesn't show anything about blocking any behaviour or anything dangerous happening on my PC. Nothing, not a single warning, just blocking.
And I've check that if I stop shields it begun to work on all browsers I have on my PC: IE, Opera, FF, Chrome.
And it is not a problem with my PC Tools Firewall. I've tried to turn it off and nothing. My friend with Avast and Windows7 built-in firewall got the very same problem, so it is problem with Avast, nothing else.

You are CLEARLY not reading the related topic(s).

PEBCAC: Problem Exists Between Chair And Computer
PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

I am not a dev, and I am not talking about any specific way to provide feedback.

I am talking about at least providing any actual info.

For example, now you are actually mentioning that you have or used to have other security tools. You should remove them using their respective removal utilities, even after using "Add / Remove Programs". A partial list of specific removal utilities is located at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/. Better yet, run them under Windows Safe Mode to reduce potential conflicts.

You should at least try having web shield enabled, but with the relevant EXPERT setting changed. Then reboot and test. Not enough? Change it again, reboot again, test again. Not enough? Change it one more time (I am NOT joking).

Do you have a firewall? Delete the relevant rules, reboot and recreate them. For Avast, you should include avastsvc.exe, avastUI.exe and avast.setup, at least. Delete also the firewall rules related to your game, if there are any. All this is ONLY valid if you are using firewall rules. If you weren't, then don't start now.

Many other things can be suggested, but it depends on your particular system, as other users indeed have succeeded with one simple setting.

I would strongly suggest actually reading the related topics. You have a search forum function at the top area of the forum's pages.

ashtp

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 11:29:27 PM »
..well known browsers does work here :)

What additional information is appreciated?

What version of Avast are you using? What Browser are you using?

doomgaze3

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 02:31:27 AM »
tl;dr: Avast! Devs: Why is Avast! blocking legitimate WebSocket connections?

Here's the bottom line: The current version of Avast! is blocking legitimate WebSocket connections. Not just some -- ALL! This is a clear problem with Avast and not a simple matter of changing settings. BattleLog can be made to work correctly when Web Shield is turned off, true. However this is not a satisfactory solution, as it opens us up to other web-based security threats! Avast need to be updated to correct this problem. As a temporary workaround, we can disable Avast when we're using BattleLog, however I expect a patch within a week or two to fix this issue. Otherwise, Avast can forget about getting any money at all from me (which is a shame, because it's the most stable antivirus program I've tried!).

FYI: Avast! Free Antivirus 6.0.1289
Chrome 15.0.874.106 m
See also this relevant forum thread on the problem.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:55:37 AM by doomgaze3 »

ady4um

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 08:39:19 AM »
@doomgaze3,

Delete your firewall rules and re-create them, including one for avastsvc.exe.

ashtp

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 08:45:28 AM »
@doomgaze3,

Clearly its nothing to do with his firewall.  Disabling web shield does not bypass your firewall

ady4um

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 09:38:03 AM »
@doomgaze3,

Clearly its nothing to do with his firewall.  Disabling web shield does not bypass your firewall

For Avast 6.0.1289, http traffic goes through avastsvc.exe.

The user says only that he has disabled web shield. He should not need to. Web shield should be left active, and the EXPERT setting already mentioned several times should be changed ("well known browsers only").

For Avast 6.0.1289 to work correctly in this situation (described in the current topic), either the mentioned setting needs to be changed, or the firewall rule for avastsvc.exe needs to be correctly set (if firewall rules were used before, or if any other firewall change was performed).

By changing the web shield relevant setting, or by deleting and re-creating the firewall rule, the relevant issues between the game (it's http traffic) and Avast should be solved.

If none of those workarounds / solutions work, then the problem is somewhere else (whether related to Avast or not) and that's another topic (so a new topic should be started, that would not be related specifically to the game).

I, among other users, have explained this issue enough times now.

doomgaze3

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »
I have restored Windows Firewall to it's default state - it deletes all new rules and restores the default ones. Just to be sure, I checked and made sure that there were no rules related to avastsvc.exe -- there were not, even before the wipe. I then rebooted the computer. This has also not fixed the problem.

I also tried checking the box marked "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" and rebooted the computer. That does not work either.

You can try testing your advice here: http://websocket.org/echo.html
The only way to get that test to work in non-TLS mode is to disable Avast! Web Shield.

ashtp

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 11:59:23 AM »
Mine exhibits the same behaviour as doomgaze3 on that web socket test.  All works fine when using TLS but non-TLS I get no response plus I cant seem to disconnect either.  If I Disable web shield everything works.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
The websocket test doesn't work for me and iv also tried on my other system with MSE and no go there either so im not totally convinced it is an avast problem  ???

ady4um

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 01:48:09 PM »
I have restored Windows Firewall to it's default state - it deletes all new rules and restores the default ones. Just to be sure, I checked and made sure that there were no rules related to avastsvc.exe -- there were not, even before the wipe. I then rebooted the computer. This has also not fixed the problem.

Independently of other issues, you are not reading correctly the suggestions.

IF you were using firewall rules, then you need to RE-CREATE them (not just delete them). For Windows built i  firewall, there are no specific rules related to Avast by default.

For Avast 6.0.1289, ALL http traffic goes through avastsvc.exe (not just the browser's http traffic).

So, if you were using Avast correctly with previous versions, then setting "...well known browsers only" simply sets Avast as it was before. For better solutions, and when you already have firewall rules, the suggestion is to delete them and re-create them, including avastsvc.exe. When the firewall allows avastsvc.exe (both incoming and outgoing traffic, for full compatibility and completeness), then all http traffic is allowed.

By changing the "well known browsers only" setting several times (and saving), you might be "solving" a potential configuration problem in the ini file of Avast.

By rebuilding the firewall rules, you are assuring that the latest version of avast (avastsvc.exe, in this particular context) is also allowed. Rebuilding anew firewall rules reduces conflicts (because in some cases, the firewall doesn't recognize the updated executable file as valid).

If all that is not enough, from Avast point of view the simplest workaround is to run the removal utility under Windows Safe Mode (http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility) so to avoid any potential conflicts. In case this is really needed, I would suggest removing all previous versions of Avast too (reboot again into Safe Mode to run the removal utility again, selecting the previous version of Avast).

Then, under Normal Mode, reinstall the latest Avast version, REBOOT immediately, rebuild firewall rules (IF necessary), configure Avast and retest.

But, that is valid if Avast is the only security tool EVER installed in the system. You should remove other remnants of other security tools that were installed before (for partial a list see http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/).

Some other users have been successful in making it work (without having web shield completely disabled). As craigb suggests, each system might be different and Avast web shield might not be the only problem, Some interaction with older / other security tools might be part of the problem, and the problem with the game is only showing you that there is some remnant conflict.

Bilskirne

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 06:38:18 PM »
I have the same problem and it seems ALOT of Avast user as well. So far i've tried excluding the following from scanning:

www.battlefield.com
www.battlelog.battlefield.com
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/servers

Have also tried checking/de-checking the "well-known browser processes only" setting which does nothing....and of course rebooting after such changes.

Apart from Avast I have no firewall at all and no router and have tried several other antivirus programs such as norton, panda, mcaffee and they all allow bf3 to work.

1) AVAST DEVS ---> verify the problem and release an update
2) see 1

Gargamel360

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »
Yeah, as usual, official acknowledgment of an issue is a bit of a handicap with these guys  ::)

@Avast!....if you are following this thread, just a little pop-in with a "Hey, we are aware and working on it" would be nice.

Get between gamers and their games, and you will soon no longer find yourself in any position to do so...as you will be uninstalled.  And Battlefield's user base is still growing, you could stand to lose a lot of good will/customers.  Perhaps overstating the obvious, but just thought it should be said....

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
I got BF3 copy and our QA will test it probably on Monday, they will let you know what they find out.
Thanks for info.

doomgaze3

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 12:07:23 AM »
Ask and ye shall receive. :)

As much as we appreciate the acknowledgement, however, you didn't need to go through the trouble of getting Battlefield 3 to test the problem. All you need is this test site. http://websocket.org/echo.html
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:29:10 AM by doomgaze3 »

Gargamel360

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 03:34:20 AM »
Thanks pk, good to know it is going to be looked at. :)