Author Topic: avast! boot-time problem with USB keyboard  (Read 12358 times)

Kamil

avast! boot-time problem with USB keyboard
« on: August 13, 2003, 08:13:47 PM »
Hi,
I've been using avast! 4.0 HE for a while now, and have had nothing but positive things to say about the software.

However, after installing a new Logitech Elite USB keyboard on my PC, avast! can no longer perform a boot-time scan.  It generates a message, "keyboard error" in the blue boot screen and goes on to load WinXPPro.  When I do a simple disk scan, however, no such error message appears.

Is this bug an avast! programming oversight--and what can I do about it?

Thanks for listening,

Kamil

whocares

Re:avast! boot-time problem with USB keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 01:56:34 AM »
Hi,
what Win do you have ?
maybe you just have to enable (DOS-)-USB-Support in the BIOS

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 10:44:11 AM »
USB keyboard may not be available during boot scan. See this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240658, it applies to boot scan accordingly.

Kamil

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 02:39:41 PM »
I'm running Windows XP Professional -- and USB support in DOS (mode) has been applied in BIOS.

When I scan the PC's hard disk, there are no error messages and the USB keyboard can be used to terminate the scheduled disk check.

My problem with the "keyboard error" message comes up only when I try to scan the PC for viruses at boot-time.  It's not a major headache, but it is getting annoying, for I have to dig out an ancient, basic, PS/2 keyboard just so that I can scan my drive(s) for viruses.   ???

I realize that MS support for USB can be somehwat half-baked; however, this problem cannot be deposited solely at Microsoft's feet....

Perhaps problem this requires some greater cogitation for the ALWIL folks?

KZS

whocares

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 03:11:17 PM »
Hi,
maybe avast bootscan runs before USB support is enabled, between the point where the keyboard input is switched from legacy mode, to USB drivers. This issue can occur even if your computer Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) is configured to provide legacy USB keyboard support. Because of this, the keyboard may not be available when Avastbootscan starts.
 ;) ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 03:26:00 PM »
Kamil so you're saying that the scandisk that sometimes tries to start during the boot can actually use the keyboard?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Kamil

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 03:47:26 PM »
To be honest, I've been switching keyboards so often lately that I'm not sure....  I'll be going offline shortly, will schedule a Windows drive scan and will then try to stop it via the USB keyboard.  I'll definitely let you know what happens.

KZS

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 03:51:11 PM »
Cool thanks that would help.
I'll tell us whether it's an avast-specific problem or not.

Vlk

Kamil

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 05:19:46 PM »
Thanks for your patience.

Incredibly, the USB keyboard is being recognized by the drive scanner AND NOW by avast!.

I can only assume that my ECS K7S5A motherboard (one that has a tendency to suffer BIOS amnesia from time to time) finally recognized the USB keyboard in DOS-mode.

Everything works as it should.  :-\

I appreciate the help and am glad this problem has "healed" itself  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2003, 04:10:01 AM »
Hi,
I've been using avast! 4.0 HE for a while now, and have had nothing but positive things to say about the software.

Kamil

Hey, Kamil.
By now you can say something positive about avast: the support team (Vlk, whocares, and other foruns' members. I had a problem at the begining and now, like you I suppose, a happy avast user...  8)
The best things in life are free.

Kamil

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2003, 02:25:55 PM »
Thanks, Technical:

Truth be told, not only am I pleased with the overall long-term performance of avast!, but, whenever I have to do so, I recommend the software in print in publications such as the California Computer News (www.ccnmag.com).

It's a quality product, the forum-support generally resolves problems quickly and effectively, folks in the forum are helpful, and if more people adopted avast! as part of their computer defenses the world would not end up grappling with quick spreading viruses and undoing their damage.

And I cannot wait to see what new goodies ALWIL includes in the upcoming release....

:)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2003, 03:15:00 PM »
Kamil, quite a nice article
http://www.ccnmag.com/index.php?sec=mag&id=220
Thanks for this positive review of avast. ;)

One note though: you were reviewing 3 free AV products: Grisoft's AVG, H+BEDV AntiVir, and avast!. Of those three, you only mentioned the origin of one of them - you wrote that H+BEDV AntiVir is Czech.

Actually, it's the opposite. ;)

Both avast and AVG are Czech, but AntiVir is German. ;D

Anyway, I think 99.99% of the readers haven't noticed or (rather) don't even care...

Vlk

Kamil

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2003, 03:35:19 PM »
Yes, Vlk, I realized the error when I first saw the story online.

I did note the "countries of origin" accurately in the Word draft I sent to CCN.  Alas, somewhere along the route to production someone made an error while editing the piece.  I guess they had a warm spot for the Czech Republic in their hearts.  And, from my visit to Poland's Pieniny mountain region years ago, I can see why....   ;)

In any event, you now know why I am most interested in keeping up with events at ALWIL--and maybe, when I have the chance to review a spectrum of practical utitlity software in a few months for a story I'm planning, perhaps you good folks will provide me with a look at the full-blown, latest, avast! PRO version .   ;)

KZS