Author Topic: Cant add files to avast 4 Pro exclusion list  (Read 7740 times)

wanchan

Cant add files to avast 4 Pro exclusion list
« on: November 15, 2004, 04:25:15 PM »
I am trying to add two Outpost Pro 2.5 log files to the exclusion lists of avast Resident Scan.
I am not sure how many people here using Outpost, but these are the files I tried to add.

C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\op_data.mdb
C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\op_data.ldb

I tried the add the above files in the following two exclusions lists
Exclusion list one I tried to add to:
avast! On-Access Protection Control > On-Access Scanner > Standard Shield > Customize > Resident task settings
Exclusion list two I tried to add to:
avast Enhanced User Interface > Tasks > Resident protection > Standard Shield > Advanced

Problems:
When I tried to add the two files to the first list, the added file seemed to be saved. However when I tried then add the files to the second list, not only the files would not be saved, the files saved in the first list disappeared too.  :o

Setting Background:
1. Using avast 4 Pro latest build on XP SP 2
2. avast Standard shield is set High

Question:
Does avast 4 Pro allow to add excluded files permanently/globally? If so, how?

Thanks a lot!!! :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 04:48:34 PM by wanchan »

housi

Re:Cant add files to avast 4 Pro exclustion list
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 04:38:17 PM »
Hi wanchan
I too have these 2 files on the exclusion-list. I had no problems to enter the files in the list.
Sincerely
Housi

Addendum.
After restart the Providers, the two files are no more in the list. I see
from the first entry only "*\Pr". Must be a bug.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 04:51:43 PM by housi »

lee16

Re:Cant add files to avast 4 Pro exclusion list
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 04:47:17 PM »
wanchan

i only use the standard shield, but i belive its the same concept, just making sure now, when you add the files you want to exsclude you are pressing "browse" then checking the logs/files you want excluded then pressing "ok" right?

If so:
What exact version of avast are you using? (should be avast 4.5.523 Pro)
Are they disserpearing after you restart avast or your OS?

--lee
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 04:59:17 PM by lee16 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 04:56:44 PM »
If you change any other settings of the Standard Shield - are the changes saved?

wanchan

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 04:58:13 PM »
wanchan

i only use the standard shield, but i belive its the same concept, just making sure now, when you add the files you want to exsclude you are pressing "browse" then checking the logs/files you want excluded then pressing "ok" right?

Just want to make sure I understand correctly. Where did you find the "Standard Shield" under? In my case, I tried to add the files to exlusion list by going to:
avast! On-Acces Protection Control > On-Access Scanner > Standard Shield > Customize > Resident task settings
> Here you can modify the list of loations that will not be scanned and/or tested (global exclusions are not appended)
Under the above there are two bottons, Add and Remove. I clicked on Add and pasted the full location of those files found under their Properties.

If so:
1. What exact version of avast are you using?
2. What OS are you using?
3. Are they disserpearing after you restart avast or your OS?]

1. I am uisng paid version avast! Professinal 4.1.501
2. XP SP 2
3. The added files are keeping disappearing once I clicked on OK and closed the configuration widnow.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 05:16:42 PM by wanchan »

wanchan

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 05:05:43 PM »
If you change any other settings of the Standard Shield - are the changes saved?

I just did a couple of tests. Yes other settings seem to get saved.

Let me make sure what I did is correct before going any furthur on this. Could anyone advise where setting(s) I need to go to in order to add files into the exclusion list? There seem to be about more than  one place where I found the exclusion list ???
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 05:09:14 PM by wanchan »

lee16

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 05:17:11 PM »
The way i add stuff to the exclusion list (i don't use advanced intterface btw), is open avast scanner>menu>settings>exclusions>browse then i navigate to the file/log ect i want to exclud and press OK.

BTW
I am uisng avast Pro 4.1.501

4.1.501 is out of date now, the latest version is 4.5.523, i suggest you invoke an avast update manuly, if you would like it to update automaticly in  future,  open avast scanner>menu>settings>update (basic) and check both to update automaticly.

--lee
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 05:17:31 PM by lee16 »

wanchan

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 05:27:35 PM »
4.1.501 is out of date now, the latest version is 4.5.523, i suggest you invoke an avast update manuly, if you would like it to update automaticly in  future,  open avast scanner>menu>settings>update (basic) and check both to update automaticly.

For program update, mine was set "Ask when update available". I guess I wasn't around when it asked. One thing I feel frustrated about is that I often cant find things like this under avast! Log Viewer either :'(

As for avast 4.5, I read about a few days ago. Some people are having problems with POP email when upgraded to version 4.5 Has this problem been fixed?

About the procedures of updating 4.1 to 4.5: Will the avast program update feature take care of everything? Is there no need to uninstall version 4.1 I am currently using, correct?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 05:29:22 PM by wanchan »

lee16

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 05:32:25 PM »
As for avast 4.5, I read about a few days ago. Some people are having problems with POP email when upgraded to version 4.5 Has this problem been fixed?

I don't use pop mail so im not 100% sure, but i think it might of been fixed in todays build that came out.

About the procedures of updating 4.1 to 4.5: Will the avast program update feature take care of everything? Is there no need to uninstall version 4.1 I am currently using, correct?

No need to uninstall 4.1, the updates takes care of everything, there are some nice new features in 4.5 btw.

--lee

wanchan

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 07:17:53 PM »
Just upgraded to 4.5.523 with good results. Files added to the Exclusion List have been retained. No problem with email either. Great job, keep it up ;)

Thanks for the kind helpful replies :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 07:35:27 PM by wanchan »

lee16

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 09:54:44 PM »
wanchan

Im glad your problems solved  :)

--lee