Author Topic: Who Got An Avast Easy Pass Pop-Up?  (Read 21963 times)

Jack 1000

Who Got An Avast Easy Pass Pop-Up?
« on: October 29, 2011, 11:13:33 AM »
In the message notification center and it did not leave the screen until you clicked x to close it?  I hope this is not a new trend.  I love Avast!  However, the only AV messages that I want to see are:

1.) Your Virus Definitions have been automatically updated.
2.) A new version of Avast is available.
3.) Notification and or blockages of viruses and threats.

At least make the pop-up disappear within 10 seconds like the others.

Jack

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
Re: Who Got An Avast Easy Pass Pop-Up?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »
Yes, got one this morning and had to close it.
However, Avast has to make money and an occasional pop-up is a small price to pay for what we get for nothing.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Hellion

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »
I switched from Avira (with it's higher detection rates)to Avast! because of overzealous advertising.

I agree with Jack 1000 in hoping that this is not a new trend.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »
It's not a new trend. Just a sales campaign that we will see few times a year.
avast won't show an ad popup each update like Avira did.
The best things in life are free.

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »
I got one today, but it's not so showy. It's acceptable.

Only thing I want to say is its language... the ad is English even here in Japan.
I hope next ad avast put will be translated and not shown until translated ones are ready.
Some were indeed confused and asked about it because they are not good at English.
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 03:10:18 PM »
Only thing I want to say is its language... the ad is English even here in Japan.

In this case, the ad is for an English-only tool (at least for now), so even if they take the time to translate the ad, that won't help those non-English users :(. Your point is still valid though.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 03:14:44 PM »
More work for the translators ;D
Although, I do not receive any package to be translated...
The best things in life are free.

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 03:39:34 PM »
In this case, the ad is for an English-only tool (at least for now), so even if they take the time to translate the ad, that won't help those non-English users :(.
Oh, I completely forgot about it :-X
I just read ManyQs's post in General section, now I can understand why the ad is English here in Japan... "translated" is not always good thing...

I'm most grateful to translators. :)
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

MrRAlan

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 05:03:51 PM »

It is a new trend...it just started this summer.  This really SUCKS!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »

It is a new trend...it just started this summer.  This really SUCKS!

So it pops up, takes seconds to cancel if you aren't interested. You can always take your business to another free AV and see what their advertising is like.

I don't think this intrusive (certainly not like the big in your face one from before), small toaster style pop-up, they need to resolve the problem with the timing it remains up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

alpha1

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 05:22:04 PM »

you know japanese too?   :o

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »

Maybe because this is only sent out to the English speaking users for now..!!?? ;)
I didn't see it yet and also got no feedback from the German users so far.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

John.A

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 09:19:38 PM »
I too got very annoyed with this. I was watching a movie in full screen when this stupid ad came up ruining the movie.  >:( Not the first time it happened either, I also got an popup ad for avast internet security some month ago. I got so sick of it that I uninstalled Avast. Now I'm going to try Microsoft Security Essentials instead. Maybe I return to Avast later if you change your mind about annoying your users like this.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 09:27:14 PM »

Now I'm going to try Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

Have fun with MSE.
See you soon back here. ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

elzar

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »
I too got very annoyed with this. I was watching a movie in full screen when this stupid ad came up ruining the movie.  >:( Not the first time it happened either, I also got an popup ad for avast internet security some month ago. I got so sick of it that I uninstalled Avast. Now I'm going to try Microsoft Security Essentials instead. Maybe I return to Avast later if you change your mind about annoying your users like this.

I feel the same way.  I don't have the time to fully investigate what else is out there though.   Sigh.  This SUCKS!  Boo on Avast for these crap ads yet AGAIN.  This goddam popup came up and screwed up something I was working on.  And NO WAY TO CLOSE IT!  Half of its window was off the screen and the ONLY WAY I could get rid of it was to click on the "LEARN MORE" button for the $*&%ING AD, which then invoked INTERNET EXPLORER to go to the avast website - a browser which I NEVER USE AND DO NOT EVEN WANT RUNNING ON MY PC.  Totally unacceptable.  Being "free" is not a license to assault users with unwanted popups.  Of course the Avast cheerleaders will say how it is perfectly fine to do this though.  What else is new.