Author Topic: Who Got An Avast Easy Pass Pop-Up?  (Read 21957 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Who Got An Avast Easy Pass Pop-Up?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 11:06:12 PM »
First, elzar there is no need to cuss. Second, so there is a pop-up big deal! Every now and then there will be a pop-up. To me that is a very small price to pay for the "free" protection that you get with avast. Believe it or not The Czech Republic has a free enterprise economy. Which means they get to make a profit. And I'm pretty sure their employees prefer to get a paycheck. So if you want to moan and groan then go to another a/v go ahead...you will come crawling back.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Gargamel360

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 11:24:14 PM »
Of course the Avast cheerleaders will say how it is perfectly fine to do this though.  What else is new.
Where are Avast!'s cheerleaders?  No one has told me about any. 

If Avast! does not have any cheerleaders, then this guy has a great idea, you can never have too many cheerleaders. 
This would be a great way to promote EasyPass, vs. pop-ups. ;D

spg SCOTT

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 11:58:44 PM »
I too got very annoyed with this. I was watching a movie in full screen when this stupid ad came up ruining the movie.  >:( Not the first time it happened either, I also got an popup ad for avast internet security some month ago. I got so sick of it that I uninstalled Avast. Now I'm going to try Microsoft Security Essentials instead. Maybe I return to Avast later if you change your mind about annoying your users like this.

I feel the same way.  I don't have the time to fully investigate what else is out there though.   Sigh.  This SUCKS!  Boo on Avast for these crap ads yet AGAIN.  This goddam popup came up and screwed up something I was working on.  And NO WAY TO CLOSE IT!  Half of its window was off the screen and the ONLY WAY I could get rid of it was to click on the "LEARN MORE" button for the $*&%ING AD, which then invoked INTERNET EXPLORER to go to the avast website - a browser which I NEVER USE AND DO NOT EVEN WANT RUNNING ON MY PC.  Totally unacceptable.  Being "free" is not a license to assault users with unwanted popups.  Of course the Avast cheerleaders will say how it is perfectly fine to do this though.  What else is new.

I obviously feel a certain way about these things, which I wont discuss, since you know any way.

What I am more interested in is why people are so against the ads. (from a curiosity aspect)

What I mean is that take Avira for instance, it is known to pop up an ad, and people accept that as normal. Yet avast gives an ad(s) and people are talking about moving avs.

My theory is that it is the change in business model that annoys you, since avast didn't really use ads per say. People are used to not getting ad(s) from avast, so this change is a big thing for them. (would that be an accurate guess?)

I am also interested in your comment about how you couldn't close it. I haven't got it yet, but from screenshots, it appears similar to the other popups and has the close button on it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 12:46:21 AM »
Yes it has a small close X button, and a pin button (for those that really like it and don't want it to go).

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

alpha1

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 01:28:09 AM »
Yes it has a small close X button, and a pin button (for those that really like it and don't want it to go).
;D

scott,i dont think the issue is people not being accustomed to avast ads,rather many of the people who use avast free,
choose it over other free AVs because of its lack of ads,especially the big,in your face popup types.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 02:29:41 AM »
;D

scott,i dont think the issue is people not being accustomed to avast ads,rather many of the people who use avast free,
choose it over other free AVs because of its lack of ads,especially the big,in your face popup types.
Read reply #15
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Diddy

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 03:31:03 AM »
HI I got the Easy pass notification yesterday afternoon when I turned on my computer I must say though I do not mind it is only two bad that having avast free I wish they would have given it to avast free members to but yes I do understand that avast has to make money some how.
It is ok Avast software i still like you as a company.

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 12:09:14 PM »
Yes, Avast using IE instead of the default (and usually open) browser really puts me off.
I have IE blocked from the internet in Comodo Firewall, so after waiting for IE to open, then clicking on No to scripts, then closing IE's box that wants to solve the problem (the only problem is IE!) I can finally get rid of IE.
That reminds me, I've an nLited version of XP that doesn't have IE, now where did I put it...
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 12:15:48 PM »
Yes, Avast using IE instead of the default (and usually open) browser really puts me off.
???

For me avast uses default browser (i.e. Firefox) to open information pages.
Did you really set your browser as default?
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 12:31:14 PM »
Yes - and all other links open in Opera except an occasional one in Usenet that actually has "url:" at the start of a url!
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit

Sparxx

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 02:26:58 PM »
I have IE blocked from the internet in Comodo Firewall, so after waiting for IE to open, then clicking on No to scripts, then closing IE's box that wants to solve the problem (the only problem is IE!) I can finally get rid of IE.
That reminds me, I've an nLited version of XP that doesn't have IE, now where did I put it...

Grow up people, there will be no harm if some program will need IE from time to time to open a link, it's absolutely absurd how some of us don't like IE just because it's a geek trend to not like it(and the majority even does not know why they hate it so much  ;D ), and if you don't know each and every browser has major security holes.
And yes, i know that you may love the addons of Firefox or Chrome, or some other features missing or not so well implemented in IE, but still i don't get why some people are so angry when they see IE, are you feeling better after that or what?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »
Well... while IE engine is needed to render some content (e.g. the CHM-based help), avast! doesn't try to open the links specificaly in IE.
So, there must be something special about the machine configuration... would be interesting to find out what exactly, and possibly handle that case in avast's code.

FlyingRobot

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »
Regarding the tangential subject of locking down IE...

I have IE blocked from the internet in Comodo Firewall...

Would you mind elaborating on your approach?  For example, do you mean you have rules setup for iexplore.exe that allows access to Microsoft/Windows Update but nothing else?

It has been some time since I wrote Windows applications and worked with the web browser control.  I can't remember for sure, but I want to say that program XYZ hosting a web browser control for purposes of using IE's engine to access/render things would appear to Comodo as XYZ accessing the net.  Thus, for example, were a trusted application such as Avast to access/render ads or information that way, they'd get through.

One thing I do is maximize the restrictions on IE's Internet Zone and then use the Trusted Zone as a white-list for the absolute minimal number of sites (currently just Microsoft Update).  IIRC, and based on a recent experience with an application that seemed to use the web browser control for stuff, the web browser control honors Internet Settings at least to some extent (can't remember the details of over-riding things when hosting it).  I recall reading of a supposedly better approach which uses the Internet Options Content Advisor and a custom PICS rule.  I'm not sure if these approaches are out-dated though.  On some fronts I'm just not keeping up (sigh).

I don't want to jack the thread, but comments on this subject would be appreciated as both IE and by extension the Windows web browser control simply aren't secured to the extent that my (main) browser is and thus the former pose a potential risk.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:49:06 PM by FlyingRobot »

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »
That's almost all beyond me - I just have IE as a Blocked Application.
Windows Update Service is Disabled and I occasionally install an update that looks necessary. I've seen too many topics where WU has borked things.

Yes, other browsers have insecurities but most are fixed quickly and are minor anyway. Also Opera and Firefox are civilised to use (FF with extensions) and IE is cr@p.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit

FlyingRobot

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »
@Giraffe: OK, well for now just be aware that IE is an application and wrapper around functionality (a browser engine, if you will) that is included with Windows and is accessible to other applications besides IE.  Rules that target IE the application may not target "the engine" and other software that utilizes "the engine".  I think the most important subject is Igor's message just before my previous one.  There seems to be a willingness to try to understand why it is that IE was opened on your machine.  I hope you have followed up, or will follow up, on that.