Author Topic: Who Got An Avast Easy Pass Pop-Up?  (Read 21966 times)

YoKenny

Re: Who Got An Avast Easy Pass Pop-Up?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 01:16:56 PM »
Yes, other browsers have insecurities but most are fixed quickly and are minor anyway. Also Opera and Firefox are civilised to use (FF with extensions) and IE is cr@p.
Please read
Windows Explorer is a file manager application that is included with releases of the Microsoft Windows operating system from Windows 95 onwards. It provides a graphical user interface for accessing the file systems. It is also the component of the operating system that presents many user interface items on the monitor such as the taskbar and desktop. Controlling the computer is possible without Windows Explorer running (for example, the File | Run command in Task Manager on NT-derived versions of Windows will function without it, as will commands typed in a command prompt window). Located in the C:\Windows directory, it is sometimes referred to as the Windows Shell, explorer.exe, or simply “Explorer”.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 01:24:07 PM »
Please read
Windows Explorer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer

Kenny, he's talking about IE not WE. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

YoKenny

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 01:31:24 PM »
WE is the basis for all of Windows!  ::)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Shell

Sure, but nobody was talking about WE..!! ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

alpha1

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 09:33:41 AM »
Well... while IE engine is needed to render some content (e.g. the CHM-based help), avast! doesn't try to open the links specificaly in IE.
So, there must be something special about the machine configuration... would be interesting to find out what exactly, and possibly handle that case in avast's code.
Yes - it's just that I don't know. Opera is set as the default browser.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

FlyingRobot

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 09:11:20 PM »
Interesting questions would be HOW is a default browser set and what might over-ride that setting.  Recalling support for an application to register to handle certain protocols, I just whipped up this search which might provide a starting point if you are interested in delving into things:

https://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=msdn+URL+protocol+register+%22default+browser%22&btnG=Search

Some of that is technical and involves manual poking around.  Perhaps there is a freeware program that provides an easy to user interface for examining/changing related settings.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 09:17:28 PM »
Interesting questions would be HOW is a default browser set and what might over-ride that setting. 

Well, it could be related to this... ;)

Windows Update Service is Disabled and I occasionally install an update that looks necessary. I've seen too many topics where WU has borked things.

alpha1

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »
Interesting questions would be HOW is a default browser set and what might over-ride that setting. 

Well, it could be related to this... ;)

Windows Update Service is Disabled and I occasionally install an update that looks necessary. I've seen too many topics where WU has borked things.
although that's pretty funny  ;D asyn,there are probably other causes and issues.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 09:39:59 PM »
although that's pretty funny...

Funny..?? Why...???

alpha1

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »
although that's pretty funny...

Funny..?? Why...???
the way you presented it was funny to me,also,choosing particular updates to install from windows update shouldn't affect default browser settings.
the name giraffe doesnt make things less funny either.  ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 09:59:11 PM »
also,choosing particular updates to install from windows update shouldn't affect default browser settings.

That's where you're wrong.

Dch48

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2011, 10:59:02 PM »
I too got very annoyed with this. I was watching a movie in full screen when this stupid ad came up ruining the movie.  >:( Not the first time it happened either, I also got an popup ad for avast internet security some month ago. I got so sick of it that I uninstalled Avast. Now I'm going to try Microsoft Security Essentials instead. Maybe I return to Avast later if you change your mind about annoying your users like this.
If you had your settings done correctly, you would have never seen that popup while in full screen mode. I too got the popup last night on my XP machine but I haven't seen it yet on this one.

alpha1

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2011, 11:10:04 PM »
I too got very annoyed with this. I was watching a movie in full screen when this stupid ad came up ruining the movie.  >:( Not the first time it happened either, I also got an popup ad for avast internet security some month ago. I got so sick of it that I uninstalled Avast. Now I'm going to try Microsoft Security Essentials instead. Maybe I return to Avast later if you change your mind about annoying your users like this.
If you had your settings done correctly, you would have never seen that popup while in full screen mode. I too got the popup last night on my XP machine but I haven't seen it yet on this one.
yes,if you go to settings > silent/gaming mode,and check "silent if a full screen application is running",or "silent/gaming mode",which will completely suppress all alerts,messages,popups.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:17:09 PM by alpha1 »

Dch48

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »
That's almost all beyond me - I just have IE as a Blocked Application.

Yes, other browsers have insecurities but most are fixed quickly and are minor anyway. Also Opera and Firefox are civilised to use (FF with extensions) and IE is cr@p.
What total nonsense, there is absolutely nothing wrong with IE9 and blocking WU is just ridiculous. I have never had a problem stemming from a Windows Update in any version of Windows I have run. Win98SE, XP Media Center and Professional editions, Vista, and now Win7 have always applied every update without a single problem coming up afterwards. I have never had to uninstall an update.

Getting back to the popup, when it came up on the XP machine, I did click the link and guess what, it opened in Chrome which is the default browser on that machine. Maybe Opera wasn't recognized because it's too obscure, who knows?