Author Topic: Adware/Spyware  (Read 7543 times)

jimn

Adware/Spyware
« on: November 15, 2004, 05:54:56 PM »
Does Avast!4 Pro do anything as regards preventing adware/spyware?

Or do you have a product that does?

Thanks

Neron

Re:Adware/Spyware
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 08:28:49 PM »
You can just install Ad-aware or spyware S&D.
About avast!- i dont think so-it's antivirus software

whocares

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 08:40:12 PM »
Well,
of course avast DOES detect/block Adware & Spyware (see virus-Database or VPS-History on Homepage or VGREP)
but probably not as much as dedicated ADware/Spyware-Scanners ;)

Best protection against Ad-/Spyware is of course securing your browser & system and not to use IE:
See link "VirusRemoval" below in my sig for details

;)

jhiker

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 08:53:57 PM »
You might want to take a look at Javacool's 'SpywareGuard and 'SpywareBlaster' which do a good job of preventing spyware reaching your browser. Once it's there use AdAware SE and/or Search & Destroy'

Using Firefox in preference to IE is a good idea.

jimn

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 10:04:47 PM »
Neron:
You don't think so. Whocares thinks so.

Whocares:
You say it does, but not as well a 'dedicated' products.
I wonder why that would be??? I would **guess** that adware/spyware is identifiable much like viruses. Do you think it's just too much work to do both well????

jhiker:
Nice pic. Is it really you behind that HAKKA pose?
As regards running other products for this... I do, but I have to remember to run them. Seemed to me that AVAST! is ideally suited for the job already.

Thanks all

lee16

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 10:13:29 PM »
jimn

Avast will detect spyware/adware, but its primararly an anti-virus, so it won't detect as much as a deticated spyware scanner, although it is very good at finding trojans, the simple reason it can't detect as much spyware/adware as a deticated scanner is because the workload would simply be to much.

--lee
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 10:14:04 PM by lee16 »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 10:15:24 PM »
It's not an easy question. We detect stuff like dialers or keyloggers but DON'T detect things like tracking cookies etc. In short, we only detect hostile programs.

This may change in the future.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

whocares

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 10:17:22 PM »
Well avast is rapdily improving even on adware, see VPS-History:

but it sure costs ressources, and harmless ad-ware is not the primary target for an Anti-AV/Trojan/BackDoor/Worm-Scanner

as to SPY-ware: that is a wide & pretty undefined field, and avast of course detects the dangerous/widespread ones, which have any real-world influence on your security/privacy

but presently imho it doesn't & shouldn't detect minor/rather harmless stuff like DataMiners/Cookies, which you can also classify as Spyware

-->
- Secure your system/Browser and you needn't worry much
- keep it Win-wide-open, and NO MalwareScanner can fully protect you
  ;)

EDIT:
Oh Well..:
Vlk gets to the point faster..   ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 10:18:51 PM by whocares »

jimn

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 10:34:33 PM »
VLK:
Thanks, I'll keep hoping.

Whocares:
The root of my asking the question is that I recently had to UNinstall XP SP2 because of random (and inopportune, of course) freezes during use (it installed like a pussy cat).
The best I have been able to come up with is that adware/spyware is virtually always at the root of such freezes in that release. Seems there's no distinction between malevolent ones or 'harmless' ones... a freeze is a freeze is a freeze.
SP2's "firewall" also stopped me from using my VPN connections - they would 'connect' OK but as soon as I tried to use one there was a error reported, and disabling the "firewall" let me work with it just fine.

I am "secured" by an ISP virus detector and Avast!4.5 Pro and that's about all I can do sensibly for now.

cheers to all

whocares

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 12:15:32 AM »

1)
I am "secured" by an ISP virus detector

2)
that's about all I can do sensibly for now.

Uhuuh.. how does this work.. ?
or do you mean your Mails are VirusScanned.. ?
And what about your browser & "just-being-online" ?

@2)
nope..
a) not enough, judging from your questions &
b) you sure can do more easily..

See "VirusRemoval" below and e.g. EDDY's signature and Rejzor's & Technical's links

;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 01:19:59 AM »

I hope and pray that a bloatware is not on our way  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 02:44:35 AM »

I hope and pray that a bloatware is not on our way  :'(

I think we're wandering just a little off-topic -- but let me add my two-cents (Cdn) while we're at it.

I forget whether it was here or over at Wilders, but a few months back we had a lively discussion about the desirability of a single product providing all your security protection.  And it was pretty generally agreed that the answer was, no way.

With a "proper" multi-level approach to protection, especially where the products overlap to some extent, you're in good shape if one of the applications goes bad.  But with a "one-product-cures-all" approach, if that goes bad then you've lost all your protection.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 03:13:34 AM »
With a "proper" multi-level approach to protection, especially where the products overlap to some extent, you're in good shape if one of the applications goes bad.  But with a "one-product-cures-all" approach, if that goes bad then you've lost all your protection.

All of us will agree Mike...  ;)
I think Vlk is trying to say that avast will be better and better on tracking cookies or, maybe, a new application from Alwil  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 06:57:08 AM »
Jimn, you want a clean system? Have a look at one of the webpages I created. (click link in my signature)

wanchan

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 07:09:51 AM »
As for Syware, this is is getting popular.
http://www.giantcompany.com

As for avast, I agree with most of the posters, is being developed into one of the best - antivirus programs.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 07:14:48 AM by wanchan »