Author Topic: Avast Business Protection/Administration Console/Client systems unknown status  (Read 4333 times)

aday

Hello - I've just deployed Avast Business Protection/Admin Console to a test Windows 7 Pro system. Once I had Avast Admin Console installed I was able to do a remote installation for the client node to the local box. This installed just fine and registered the system within the admin console as available and running. I then pushed the remote client install to another windows 7 box sitting on my network. The installation completed without a problem and the system restarted. Once the second system restarted back into the OS, I went back to the admin console to check it's status. It's showing that the second systems status as "Unknown". Looking at the Computer audit trail I see no instance of this computer trying to communicate with the server however there is a listing for the localhost install. UAC and firewalls are disabled on the system. I have updated the server side and client software to the newest and greatest! (Program version: 1.1.131.7 & Database version 1277).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:06:19 PM by aday »

aday

Just a quick update - I just tried removing the system with the unknown status from the Default Group and then tried to add the system back manually but the DNS name. Still no go. The system still shows as "unknown" status.

Thanks!

Offline giogio

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Hi, how many Pc's had you in your network?
How many computer work and how many not?

Check in the client is with unknown status if the service Avast net is running.
If it's running try to uninstall avast, restart win and install again

Prima di scrivere sul forum per favore leggi le istruzioni qui https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144453.0
Non inviatemi MP per supporto,grazie-No support PM please
Home: E8400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win10.0.15063x64-Avast! Free 17.3.2291-CryptoPrevent-MBAM 2.2free-Chrome 57(uBlock origin)-TB52
Work: i5-2400-4GB RAM-500GB HDD-Win 7sp1x64-Avast!Business Security 12.3.2515,     
Cloud Console 2.18
-FF52-TB52

aday

Giogio - Thank you for the reply however I think I might have resolved the issue. Here's a quick overview of the troubleshooting and results.

I uninstalled Avast client from one of the client computers. I then maybe sure that the Avast services didn't show up in the services list after a reboot. Once that was verified to again pushed the install from the server system. Avast installed without a problem and proceeded to reboot. Once the system was logged back into the OS I noticed that the Avast program launched and was running but didn't ask for an admin password to access the client control panel. This lead me to believe that the client wasn't talking to the server however I knew that the server was able to talk to the client via the install.

I then ensured that no firewalls were turned on or anything that could be blocking communication to the server was on. I then uninstalled Avast from the client but this time I tried to do the install from the web address provided by the Avast server (http://avastserver.domain.local/Avast/Install.aspx?prod=BP). When I tried to use that address on the client system it was unable to pull up the webpage to start the download. I double checked the server system and ensured that IIS was running and available, which it was. I then went back to the client and did cmd -> nslookup computername.domain.local and found that the DNS entry for the server on that client was incorrect.

Not realizing how dependent the Avast Business protection suite is on DNS and FQN names I didn't think about the client not being able to communicate back to the server. Once I updated the host name for my Avast server in the DNS servers entries we were up and running!

It sometimes amazes me how easy it is to look over the simple stuff when troubleshooting. I hope this can help someone else!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:33:27 PM by aday »