Author Topic: Iomega Storage Manager locked out by Avast  (Read 3021 times)

norelationtoned

Iomega Storage Manager locked out by Avast
« on: November 01, 2011, 08:19:01 AM »
I have a 2Tb Iomega Personal Cloud Edition network hard drive at home and I access it through the net from my business to send backups etc.  My work computer which runs Win XP home has Avast Free edition installed and runs fine.  However the only way I can access the network hard drive from it is to snooze Avast protection.  Iomega Storage manager installs some kind of virtual LAN connection and the icon in the notifications area for it remains disabled until I disable Avast, it soon then connects.  How can I add the necessary exceptions to Avast so that I don't need to snooze it each time?

ady4um

Re: Iomega Storage Manager locked out by Avast
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:45:53 AM »
Each shield has its expert settings with exceptions / exclusions. You don't say which shield is stopping the other software from running correctly.

Other possibilities might be to delay Avast service when booting (settings -> troubleshooting) or to set web shield -> "...well known browsers only", or to add avastsvc.exe to the firewall rules, or...

BTW, having Avast FREE in your work is not part of the license agreement.

norelationtoned

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:37:53 AM »
The culprit was the Avast Web Shield.  I edited its settings to less stringent and the problem disappeared.  I shall upgrade to the paid version of Avast after I am fully satisfied that it covers all my requirements.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:48:29 AM »
I shall upgrade to the paid version of Avast after I am fully satisfied that it covers all my requirements.
That is what the trial periods for PRO and AIS are for and having the free version on your work system is against the guidelines.