Author Topic: SOL on SSL?  (Read 3438 times)

gammafactor

SOL on SSL?
« on: December 03, 2004, 08:41:01 AM »
Hello, I'm brand new to the forum so I hope I'm not repeating another post.  
Here is my situation:

I have 4 email accounts that I access through thunderbird 0.9:  hotmail, yahoo, gmail, and a university IMAP account.  Hotmail and Yahoo are accessed through a program call "FreePops", and the IMAP and gmail accounts are SSL (required).  Is there any possible way of using avast to scan any of these accounts, or am I screwed?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:SOL on SSL?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 12:25:50 PM »
so I hope I'm not repeating another post.
To see if you did or not, use the search function on this board.

If I'm correct someone else had something simulair last week. I'm not using that crap called Hotmail nor do I use FreePops, so I can't help you with them.

lee16

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 01:27:21 PM »
gammafactor

Is there any possible way of using avast to scan any of these accounts

Avast Internet mail provider should scan these (automaticly set up in windows 2000/NT/XP), i personally use 'Thunderbird' along with 'Mrpostman' (similar to Freepops) to get my Hotmail/ yahoo mail and avast scans them fine.
The best way to check with the eicar test file, simply send it to your email client and avast should pick it up on download.

About Gmail and the IMAP account, i have never used them myself, but if you receive them in the same way as above then it will be scanned in the same way as above (although i don't think avast can scan encrypted/secure emails such as SSL/TSL) , but if you have to login via online login (same as when you login to hotmail.com) avasts standard sheild will scan the email while your reading them.

I hope i have been clear  :)

--lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 02:14:13 PM »
so I hope I'm not repeating another post.
To see if you did or not, use the search function on this board.

If I'm correct someone else had something simulair last week. I'm not using that crap called Hotmail nor do I use FreePops, so I can't help you with them.

Hotmail, Yahoo and GMail are not (even more) addressed to pop3 servers even using the third party application. Avast mail scanner doesn't support SSL (it has never had).

1. interception of the traffic by avast
2. actual scanning of the traffic

Unchecking the SMTP box in Internet Mail provider's settings disables 2 but not 1. This is what you're experiencing.

To prevent avast from doing 1 (which makes sense in your case as you're using SSL), please open the file <avast>\data\avast4.ini, and to the [MailScanner] section, add the following line:

StartSMTP=0

Besides using Outllook and The Bat! for SSL, here is a workaround for SSL and POP3 accounts:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=8775
to use SSL with other clients and also have the protection of avast.
The best things in life are free.

gammafactor

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 05:16:24 PM »
Thanks for all the help, I'll give it a try.